Recommend me a small 1 AA cell Lux?

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
So what's the smallest 1AA Luxeon light? Terralux used to sell one for $20 which was very cool but is no longer on their web site, alas.

So what are the options? I specifically want 1AA because I use nimh rechargables and that's kinda the sweet spot - AAA cells just don't hold much juice, are more expensive, etc.

I'd like a minimum of pocket-snagging stuff like clips etc too but that's secondary.

Thanks!

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
Oh, and as always, I don't really care about burn time but I want it bright!!

paulr

Flashaholic
Ehh, there really aren't any production ones. Even the Terralux wasn't all that bright. One thing you could do is get a cut-down Minimag on BST, and put in a Madmax+ pill.

You're better off going to two AA's. Then you have all kinds of choices.

Hans

Enlightened
Arent't the Peaks with 5/7 LED's in "hi power" supposed to be pretty bright? I haven't seen them, but going by the beamshots and the comments I read they seem to be OK.

Hans

Zigzago

Enlightened
I have several cut down minimags, which are nice because you can change the optics and sandwiches to alter the brightness and beam pattern.

I also had LED_ASAP mod my Arc AA with a Lux III. I don't think you can get more compact than this with an AA light, but it's pricey.

There's also the TnC Keylux AA but they're kind of hard to come by.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd agree with Zigzago and put my money on a cut-down MiniMag. You have a lot of options with the little AA lights.

minimag_variety.jpg

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
So, who's doing sawn off minimags these days??? Where can I get one and what do they run?

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I'm no modder - ideally I'd like a production light, or at least a single vendor package. I'll bring the battery, you put everything else in the wee box :)

Sounded like you were doing that over on the other thread, haveblue. I'll have to take some time and dig through and figure out the options. The 14500... 60L from a three inch light.... I gotta tell you that's sounding pretty good, it's just a shame it can't do that off a nimh AA. I guess that's always the way, they call it "bleeding edge" for a reason!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still crossing my fingers for TNC's AA Luxeon light that will take a single AA (alkaline, Ni-cad, NiMH, Lithium) with a 2-3 hour runtime.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I have the TNC AA in the 200ma version. It's a very well made light. I recommend the TNC if you can get one.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think 200 ma is pretty sensible for a 1aa light, but if you're after max lumens, the TNC won't come anywhere close.

Keep in mind that anything making 60 lumens in a 1aa sized light will probably heat up pretty fast though too.

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, frankly this is "pocket candy" - I've been carrying a UKE 2AAA eLed for years - brilliant little light - but in Chicago there's a lot of partial-light environments which just drown out the light.

In Colorado, outside it was *DARK* so a little light went a very long way. Here it's stuff like back alleys, or looking around in a car under a street light which make me want something BRIGHT in a small package. It's only gotta work for a few minutes here or there.

TNC's previous lights looked amazing. I'd still like something which basically just pushes the battery about 80% as hard as it can go and has chromed heat-dissipation fins, but I'll live... ;-)

paulr

Flashaholic
If it's just for occasional use like that, you're much better off with 1x123 or (better yet) 2x123, than 1xAA.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an LED_ASAP-modded ARC that I'm very happy with.

Also, I believe Advancedmart has some 1xAA Nuwai lights coming similar to the 1xAAA light they are currently selling. They aren't actually Luxeon lights, but output is similar. Clip is removable and the light should be very snag resistant without it. Nuwai TM-310H I'll be buying one of the 1xAA lights when the come in but heck, even the AAA has over two hours of constant runtime and they're less than $30.

Peak has some lights coming but they are being very tight lipped about any details. It has been said that the 1xAA lights will not have an ARC-like lug design.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
In some respects my flashlight wants (needs) have changed. I'm not as wild about all my ultra bright Surefires with their short runtimes as I used to be, although I still use them for work. I'm currently thinking that small luxeon light putting out about 20-30 lumens and running for 2-3 hours or so on a single AA would fit most of my non-work needs. Basically a 2-D cell out put for a couple hours and a little smaller than a roll of lifesavers is about right. Right now my EDC is a FireFly I and I'm very happy with it. But I'd also like to have something that runs off a NiMH or a AA lithium.