Best way to light up a breifcase?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find myself opening my breifcase in the dark a lot lately. Can anyone suggest a small reliable led light that could be clipped inside somewhere and EASILY activated to illuminate the contents? I was thinking of something like the Pelican #2220 VB3 led, but it seems to have dissappeared from the radar. Any suggestions?

mrme

Enlightened
You could just get a small keychain light that runs on 2016 cells with a constant on/off switch and tether it to the top of the inside. One that shrouds the LED would be prefered to one with the LED exposed as you will have less glare.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Stylus. Lots of briefcases already come with pen loops. Push button intermittent, screw top to stay on.

paulr

Flashaholic
http://www.glowbug.com/product.php?sku=71#

fl_vx1_lg.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta agree that a Photon, especially with the spring clip, is the thing for what you want. Works well on clipboards, too, and those teeny, tiny magnets work great if you've got something in the case they'll stick to.

Less overall spread, but a lot less geeky looking than a headlamp. Headlamps don't usually do much for the supermodel seated across from you in first class, but you never know.

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
A few months ago, I was in Target looking at purses (to make a go-kit for my sister...figured she'd like it better than some black cordura tactical monstrousity)...there was one that had a neat little LED light that came on automatically when you opened the purse (I think it also served as the magnetic clasp).

Similarly, searching for "purse light" brings up this: Purse light.

Lastly, maybe you could rig up some EL wire and a pressure switch (and get that "Pulp Fiction" briefcase effect).
pulp.jpg

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
neogoon said:
Lastly, maybe you could rig up some EL wire and a pressure switch

[/ QUOTE ]

A briefcase wired with a pressure switch and batteries, I don't think that's a good idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Just try explaining that at an airport, also don't carry any modeling clay or bundle of power bars in it.

They might decide to "light" it up in very loud way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
" Best way to light up a breifcase? " Set it on fire?

Seriously. The suggestions in the above replies are good. I'm thinking a headlamp also might be a possibility, depending on the circumstances. If you're concerned about looking like a geek, you could perhaps wear/hide the headlamp under a hat, cap etc!?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Lots of neat responses.

Headlight is out, because I wind up opening the breifcase at RANDOM times in dark room or a trunk.

Quiglite or VB3 (thanks for showing me that it IS still on the market) might be the way to go.

I, ummm... don't fly very often, and umm - well just where is this EL wire available? Can it be easily powered by batteries? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
[snip].. well just where is this EL wire available? Can it be easily powered by batteries? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at elwirecheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
How bright do you need it to be?

How about this Energizer Folding LED

It's inexpensive at just $3.29 and puts out some decent light.

Maybe mod it with a remote switch? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ratus:
I ordered a Pelican VB3, which arrived today. I plan to try it out tonight. Sadly, there will be no "beamshots" as my digital camera is out of town for the moment.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got my Pelican VB3.
It is only half the size that one might assume from looking at the standard photos. I do think that Pelican would do well to include a size reference either in the photos, or in their text. I would have bought one of these long ago if I had known that it was not HUGE, as it appears in the photos.

889795.jpg

Anyhow, it fits in the breifcase very nicely - and provides a "perfect" amount of light for the task...plenty for me to quickly find things - but not so much as to cause pain to my semi dark adapted eyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sadly, my particular sample is defective - with one LED shining very brightly,
and the other one barely shining at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Guess I'll have to email the dealer, and find out how to get it replaced.

Later.