Looking for good Solitaire mod

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that darn little Solitaire is just not bright enough. I mean the bright orange CASING is brighter than the light. LOL

So is there such a thing as a really good Solitaire mod? Can anyone suggest any?

Thanks for looking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

billsea

Newly Enlightened
A pretty easy mod is to swap the bulb for a 5MM LED. Remove the head, reach inside with a stout needle, bend back the plastic tabs on the reflector a little, and push out the reflector and lens. Open up the hole in the reflector to fit the 5MM LED. Remove the bi-pin bulb and replace it with the LED. A little bending and filing of the leads may be necessary.

Replace the battery with a MN12/23 battery (cheap at walmart) and a spacer. This is a 12 volt battery, but its internal resistance makes everything work just fine.

I used one of the new 26kmcd leds, and it is one bright little light. Next year when the 36kmcd leds come out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif you can just plug in a new one. Here are some links with more information.

Some people have been able to fit Luxeons inside, but that would be 10 times harder to do.

26Kmcd

Solitare mod 1

solitare mod 2

solitare mod 3

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM sent?? What could you possibly send in response to trying a few 26kmcd 5mm LEDs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Are they black market LEDs? LOL What's the answer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
look on eBay, there's also a recent thread on them.
CromagNet, PM LED_ASAP, he makes Luxeon Pills for Solis on request.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW Thanx greenie and thanx billsea. those are good places to help me start figuring options /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

billsea

Newly Enlightened
CromagNet

I got mine here 26kmcd on ebay 50 pcs for $20 (10 +10 s&h). They arrived in less than a week, and I think this site is reputable. I wasn't trying to be secretive with my PM to Angelpoise. I just had a few left from my 50 pcs and I contacted him directlly about a small quantity. I just didn't want to go public and start something I couldn't finish.

I don't know anyplace where you can get just a few unless there is a CPF member that bought 50 and has a few they want to part with. I didn't think I could use 50, but by the time I changed out a bunch or $20/20 countycomm pocket lights, several Dorcy AAA, Solitare, Ultra-G, gave a few away, they go pretty fast. I will probably do more DorcyAAA mods because I like the form factor and they make cheap nice give away lights. The solitare mod is a good one too. Try it.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
Well that darn little Solitaire is just not bright enough. I mean the bright orange CASING is brighter than the light. LOL

So is there such a thing as a really good Solitaire mod? Can anyone suggest any?

Thanks for looking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I just finished the mod #1 below and I am absolutely blown away.

With some help from a member , I can only say that it is far brighter than expected , and to be able to DD directly from a 12 volt battery without blowing something up is truly amazing.

Highly recommended.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think there may be a module that replaces the bulb, but the cost of it is I think $15 or more which IMO makes it simpler to buy a fenix E01 instead.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
so we cant just plug in a bare led emmiter in the solitaire. is the voltage wrong. arent there any 1.2-1.5v led emitters. (i think i am answering my own question here)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
there isn't any LEDs that will run well off a 1.5v battery, they have to either use a lithium ion or a boost circuit or a bulb.

Gryloc

Enlightened
It is a bit of work, but you can fit a Rebel in there and power it off of a 10440 li-ion cell. I found an aluminum rod on the McMaster Carr website to work as a heatsink pill, and I cut it down to size. I had to bore out the Solitaire (where the pill is) with a Dremel (and a bit of imagination and a lung full of aluminum powder). I soldered a Rebel 0100 to the 10mm round MCPCB available at the Sandwich Shoppe, and mated it behind McGizmo's McR-10R (10mm) reflector. I had to drill a wire through that little aluminum heatsink for the positive wire to pass through (I had to create a positive contact at the base of the heatsink). After applying plenty of AA paste and epoxy in certain spots, I carefully assembled and dropped in a li-ion cell.

The results are amazing. Before I accidentally knocked off (sheared off) the dome on the Rebel, I estimated that it spewed out slightly over 200 lumens out the front (using a light box to compare against other lights). I was playing with other reflectors (The McR-12R) when I bumped off the dome. The beam had a warmer tint afterwards, but the output dropped a bit (30% or more). I need to get a fresh Rebel 0100 emitter and breath some new life into this light. I wonder if I can mate a R2 XP-E behind the same reflector and still create a decent beam.

Unfortunately, over 1A coming from the 10440 cell is quite a bit past 2C, so you only get full brightness for a couple minutes, then the output drops linearly. By 15 minutes of constant on, it is just a faint glow that is less than equivalent to a cheap keychain light. :laughing:

Oh well, it was a fun mod, and it blows away non flashaholics when initially turned on. Some day, I would like to fit in one of those AMC linear current regulators in there (only one 350mA IC) to make the thing practicable, but it will be too much work. I replaced the light with that KD buckle light which produces a decent amount of light for much longer from an ordinary AAA. I still never experienced a LOD in person, though.

I guess I am saying that you can mod your solitaire to do whatever you want, but you are restricted by LED efficiency, and battery capacity. Heat can be an issue, too, but my hand worked well to provide liquid cooling. :grin2:

I did get a nice gift Solitaire that has a "Harris" company logo on it (Harris Corp Broadcasting Division -where I worked as a co-op). I think that the 3mm or 5mm LED and a 12V or more battery will work in there. I just may get enough of those "MN12/23" cells to fill the length of the tube (same length as a AAA), but toss in a resistor to drop the voltage down a bit. That way, there is less wasted space and less stress on the poor cells. Is there a super bright 5mm LED that is still as white as the high power emitters we have grown so used to? How would that LED compare to the SMJ LEDs available at the Sandwich Shoppe?

Thanks for the inspiration. I heard about this mod years ago, but never thought about trying it!

-Tony

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gryloc,

I'm thinking of putting my xp-e in a solitaire. you stated your prefered reflector for this type of LED. I am wondering what you used to power it? I am not very current on power sources for LEDs, but I do know that for my LED I will need 3.4V + .35V = 3.75V at least. Are you aware of any battery that can supply this that would fit in the solitaire?

Thanks in advance

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like he said, direct-drive off a 10440 -- it's the same size as AAA, but Li-ion so 3.7V instead of 1.5V.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh cool! so what does that number mean? Is that the size of the battery package? I am going to be looking around the forums for ways to charge li-ion batteries. Hopefully there is a way to make a DIY charger.

So right now I have:
xp-e on 8mm mcpcb
driver circuit using amc 7140

need to get:
solitaire
battery
a good throwing reflector - is that too much to ask for a space-confined solitaire? I'm looking at a 10mm one in the shoppe that gryloc suggested.

need to make:
battery charger
board for my driver to be mounted to
mounting solution for LED to fit in

Forgetting anything? First time making a flashlight... hah, sounds weird saying that

StarHalo

Flashaholic
This XP-E idea is the most promising and pragmatic mod I've ever heard of for the Solitaire. I'd wager this is the one setup that could be competitive with the L0D. Will be watching.. :popcorn:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The numeric designations do give the size of the cell, see The Welcome Mat for an explanation.

Unless building it's something you really want to do, you can buy a small charger for Li-ion cells pretty cheaply.

Some day, I would like to fit in one of those AMC linear current regulators in there (only one 350mA IC) to make the thing practicable, but it will be too much work.
First time making a flashlight...
In light of the above, are you sure you want to construct a regulated circuit? It will not be easy...

I'd tend to complete this mod as direct-drive, and just buy some other 1xAAA light if I needed one with a longer runtime. (Indeed, I'm planning a rather similar XP-E mod to restore my truly ancient Brinkmann Micro-Max to limited usability, and it will definitely be DD, despite the significantly increased space in the head vs. a Mag Solitaire.)