V-DAY ideas?!?!

code09

Enlightened
Valentines day is coming up, anyone have any plans/gifts for their girlfriend/wives?!

Penguin

Enlightened
Girlfriends LOVE roses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif thankfully, dozen long-stemmed roses from costco only cost 14 dollars and they are GORGEOUS. You'll have to dress them up before you give them to her though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also, give her the roses the day BEFORE Valentine's day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif that way she'll be the center of attention that day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (it's not as special when ALL the girls at the office/school have roses)

code09

Enlightened
well, i guess i'll start. I made my gf a flashlight...looks like crap, works like crap, but im hoping i could maybe drop a UV led into it. And then i could draw a picture of something with lemon juice, and get the UV led to display it...i dunno, but here are some pics, let me know what you guys think!
made1.jpg

made2.jpg

made3.jpg

code09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Penguin said:
Girlfriends LOVE roses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif thankfully, dozen long-stemmed roses from costco only cost 14 dollars and they are GORGEOUS. You'll have to dress them up before you give them to her though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also, give her the roses the day BEFORE Valentine's day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif that way she'll be the center of attention that day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (it's not as special when ALL the girls at the office/school have roses)

[/ QUOTE ]

Heeey, good idea!!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cook her a nice dinner in front of her -- something fancy but not too difficult or expensive. Lots of webites with easy stuff to do. It doesn't gotta be a lot of work, trust me.

BTW, if you don't know how, start learning now, not the night before. It ain't hard to do if I can do it but planning is everything.

Upside is her reaction will be, "Wow, you did this for me!?!"

Downside is if she finds out you were going to and then didn't, her reaction will be, "So, I'm not worth the effort!?!"

The rewards can be mindboggling, however. Women dig guys that can really cook. And if it looks easy, it probably is easy, but do not, repeat, do not tell them that. Be humble with your great skill and monstrous talent.

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
...Also, give her the roses the day BEFORE Valentine's day that way she'll be the center of attention that day (it's not as special when ALL the girls at the office/school have roses)

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif ... nope! You got it wrong... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif ... It's ALL about competition! The day BEFORE is not considered special... it's considered LAME! ... Trust me! ... send the roses to her work... but do something different with them. A balloon, teddy bear, piece of jewelry.. whatever! Have them delivered differently... be creative! Deliver them yourself! It's all about THE day... and COMPETITION!... don't ever fool yourself otherwise... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flowers are ok but you can do much better. Start off by getting out of work early (if you can) and clean up the house. Then draw a bath just before she gets home use some bath salts in her favorite scent, my wife's is lavender. So when she gets home put her in the tub and let her relax. While she is in the tub you can either start dinner or go get it. I usually go and get it not b/c I can't cook but I cook all the time so that's not special, I go get her favorite Italian meal and put it in the oven on warm. Then set the table but make it romantic use lots of candles. Oh, bring her a glass of her favorite wine while she is in the tub. Next when she is ready to get out set some towels on the bed or floor and give her a message use oils. Now serve up the meal have a great meal and the rest is up to you. She will love this on two levels first she will love the evening with you but then the next day at work she will have the best story to tell and show up the other girls and trust me this goes a long way.

Penguin

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
[ QUOTE ]
...Also, give her the roses the day BEFORE Valentine's day that way she'll be the center of attention that day (it's not as special when ALL the girls at the office/school have roses)

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif ... nope! You got it wrong... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif ... It's ALL about competition! The day BEFORE is not considered special... it's considered LAME! ... Trust me! ... send the roses to her work... but do something different with them. A balloon, teddy bear, piece of jewelry.. whatever! Have them delivered differently... be creative! Deliver them yourself! It's all about THE day... and COMPETITION!... don't ever fool yourself otherwise... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoot... I thought I had it down... OK ok. Sell off some lights and take a trip to Tiffany's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Ok... one more thing to let you in on... and then you guys are on your own..

[ QUOTE ]
... take a trip to Tiffany's ...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no, no... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif ... The PRICETAG of the gift is not what is important... unless of course your Valentine is very high maintenance... in which case... RUN!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif ... the important factor is thought. You must put alot of thought into the gift... and it must be very obvious that you put alot of thought into it. Clearly, not all of you guys have an unlimited budget... but that doesn't mean you can't give the best gift she's ever gotten. Your time always scores HUGE points... give her your time. Stick within your budget... but make it something that means alot to her. Take the time to get to know her favorite flower... favorite scent... what makes her get warm and fuzzy? ... what makes her get "misty"?... If you don't know these things, you only have a week left to find them out... best get on it! Taking the time to actually get to KNOW her and put some thought into the gift you get her based on knowing her... well... she'll be mush in your hands... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... and if she's not... RUN!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

Penguin

Enlightened
Haha, I was just joking about the Tiffany's. I know something meaningful would beat out price anyday. Thanks Sasha for the advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif hmmm, I'm still stumped on the misty... better find out soon.

code09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oooOoOo, i think im gonna have to take a womens word for this one...

code09

Enlightened
wow, i think sasha should make a new thread where guys can post questions about girls thoughts etc etc, and she can reply to everyone of them...then maybe the "i need a women" thread can be reduced! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Im gonna have to take up at least 2 pieces of sasha's advice. Thanks!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understand it, and I NEVER claim to understand the opposite sex, while I know the sexy undies bit is really a gift for yourself, after a few years that does turn back to being a gift for her, since she appreciates the fact that you're still interested in her at her "advanced age." In my wife's case that age hit around her late 30's. But this is very dangerous ground.

For my wife, flowers are best left to a spontaneous gift -- no specific day or occasion. She loves that.

A romantic getaway is always a winner. Topped by a day at the spa & shopping, but little else..

Samoan

Enlightened
Single ths year but always pulled off successful Valentine's Days in the past.

Key #1 Make sure it's about her. Here you have to know what she loves. An afternoon at a Spa won't do a bit of good if she considers Valentines as a "together day", not a "her day".

Key #2 As mentioned before, send something to their office. (Ladies, shield your eyes) In the same way women dress to impress other women (like the guys would notice, we're daft) anything sent to the office is a competition with the other women there. If you're going to send roses go ALL OUT. One year I sent 2-dozen long-stem to the office. I swear some of the other women there were actually pissed at their boyfriends. The other issue is that while roses are the standard, sometimes an arrangement with flowers she loves mixed in with roses scores HUGE.

Key #3 Her requests. Here you get into very difficult territory. You know your GF/Wife the best. Does she make requests she doesn't mean ("Don't make a fuss."), or will she let you know what she wants. Read this and get it right..or else. The year of the 2dz she specifically said don't send anything to the office (we worked together). Well, the order was already in, had been for a month, so that wasn't an option. When she "won the office competition" I was the best boyfriend in the entire world.

Key #4 If you don't cook, don't fake it. If there's decent take-out you can get go that route if you *know* she loves it. Otherwise make the reservation at her favorite restaurant in January. I've always made the primary and a couple back-ups. In the end I can either give the spares to buddies who haven't thought ahead or call the resetaurant a couple weeks in advance to release the reservation. On the other hand I am a pretty decent cook (mom was a chef) and have gone the quiet dinner at home route many times.

In the end it's all about her. I may have good suggestions, but I'm single this time around.

-F