SureFire E2e & KL4 LED conversion head

Craig720

Enlightened
I'm thinking about converting my beloved E2e to LED, using the KL4 head. I can buy it from SureFire for $125. Good idea or not?

I've read some rave reviews of the KL4 that say the incandescent bulb has met its match.

For those of you who have performed the conversion, was it worth it?

Or did you reverse the conversion, removing the new head and putting the original back on?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I much prefer the L4/KL4 to the E2e. I like that it's regulated, brighter and I can use a Pila 168S. Unless you prefer incandescent to Luxeon lights, I think you will prefer the L4/KL4 to the E2e.

I recommend you buy a complete L4 instead of just the KL4 head because you can get a complete light for a few dollars more. If you don't want any of the parts of the L4 you could sell them on B/S/T. The bodies sell for about $30 to $35 and the Z57 sells for about $25 to $35. This would allow you to use your E2e and you would also get a Z57 clicky switch with the L4.

I recommend you buy your L4 from oldgrandpajack on B/S/T or send jcciv a PM. jcciv is surefireparts on ebay. Both of these guys are great to deal with and they ship fast.

If you are going to use your L4 a lot, I recommend you get a Pila 168S from J.S. Burly's. Jon S. Burly is about as nice a guy as you'll ever meet and a real asset to CPF. He's also great to deal with. The 168S batteries are $27 each and the charger is $43. Both the batteries and charger are high quality.

PS: I have 5 E2es and 2 L4s. I haven't used a E2e since I got my L4s. I used some of my E2es for McLux PR heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edit: oldgrandpajack has L4s for $134.95 on B/S/T.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I concur with Hoghead 100%, but if you still just want to buy the KL4 head by itself, the same two guys mentioned above should have the KL4 for less than the SF web site. If you search Ebay for completed auctions, you will find the KL4 head in the $80-90 range.

Will

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yepp, it's definitely worth it ... BUT you have to know that the KL4 is a flood light and can't match the throw of the incan.
If you want throw on your E2e ... go for an ALeph1 head with a LuxIII ... which will kill the E2e incan easily /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif ...

And yepp ... I'd also use B/S/T for the parts or the complete L4 ... much cheaper.

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Visit the McGizmo forum and read the FAQ ... there you'll find the ordering info and all the possible sources ...
--> McGizmo himself, Sandwich Shoppe, Chop, tylerdurden, Darell, JollyRoger and kj

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Aleph1devil.jpg

Aleph1 head on 1x123 Aleph body and McE2S 2-stage switch

You want throw like none before:
Aleph3NAT.jpg

Aleph3 head on E2e with McE2S 2-stage switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Beamshots, all with the same camera settings and distance settings:

realte2d.jpg

realtl4.jpg

relux327.jpg

Aleph1 at 917mA with T-bin --> 3200 lux

relux338.jpg

Aleph3 with the same LE --> 5000 lux

Note the bright flood of the L4 and the very tight and bright spots of the Aleph1 and Aleph3 where the coronas are weaker than the L4.

Runtime of the Aleph in this configuration is about 90minutes in regulation, roughly speaking. It's about 30min longer than the other two contenders.

bernhard

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Aloha,

Hey guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif how can you talk about the L4 without mentioning the McE2S 2 stage switch ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

What ever you decide about the Kl4/E2e or the L4.....get the McE2S 22ohm...

"You will like your light twice as much." (PUN) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Aloha