RGB leds to become popular in 2005

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at a trade show this weekend in SF, and there were lots of cheap new products all sporting RGB leds. Kid's toys, mostly. Balls, frisbees, rings, beeners, etc. All run on button cells, unfortunately.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
most toys I have seen with colored lights have seperate 3mm colored LEDs. For now I think it is cheaper to use seperate LEDs instead of the rgb single led but perhaps in time they will get cheaper than the multiple colored LEDs.

BLU3_SHOCK

Newly Enlightened
I think RGB LED's would make exelent christmas lights but thats just me and yha most company are using the seperate 3mm ones

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'll bet that most of the RGB LEDs you saw were the 2-lead variety that flash in a preset pattern.

EricB

Enlightened
The CBS Morning Show studio in NYC has large signs with RGB's in the window. ESPN Zone in Times Sq. also has one in its dining area. These were the first signs using rgb's I ever saw, and they've been there for a few years already. The large signs outside in Times Sq. and elsewhere all use separate R, G, B, some with more reds than the other colors.
On the backs of some subway entrances, Clear Channel has put smalle signs using rgb's. They are legible, but of course, the resolution is limited with 3mm LED's. (I still have yet to see anything smaller than that; such as a single line text sign, with the rgb's!). OLED is what will become small TV's, but the cost has cause the full color version to be withdrawn fron the US market (camera displays, phones, etc).
And I have some Christmas bulbs using 3-chip rgb's (not separate diodes). But they just flash the seven common colors. This company plans to have controllable ones out this year for next Christmas. I hope so, then 2005 will truly be the year of the rgb LED! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
idleprocess said: I'll bet that most of the RGB LEDs you saw were the 2-lead variety that flash in a preset pattern.

__
Correct!

LED-FX

Enlightened
Large format LED screens that have looked at, all had seperate RGB LEDS, problem with 5mm triple chip RGBs is that each colour focuses in a different direction.

Seen a few novelties here that have used 4 lead RGB LEDS with COB, chip on board, controllers, the little black blob on the PCB. Easy to program for the manufacturer. All of these have used frosted LEDs to spread the colour mix.

Quick glance on Ebay shows a few vendors selling 4 lead RGBs .

Here`s one as example, bit cheaper than when Nichia was only game in town:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66954&item=3872178001&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Adam

Stellatus

Newly Enlightened
Hello All

I am please to announce in March I will be selling a 3W RGB Prolight LED Emitter I believe it will be the brightest RGB Emitter in the world by a considerable margin.

EricB

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
problem with 5mm triple chip RGBs is that each colour focuses in a different direction.

[/ QUOTE ] Still looks better than separate LED's which even behind frosting often look more like splotches of color than solid colors.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stellatus said:
I am please to announce in March I will be selling a 3W RGB Prolight LED Emitter I believe it will be the brightest RGB Emitter in the world by a considerable margin.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did/do they offer a 1W RGB? That would suit my needs... Not that I actually have a 'need'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
EricB said:
The CBS Morning Show studio in NYC has large signs with RGB's in the window. ESPN Zone in Times Sq. also has one in its dining area. These were the first signs using rgb's I ever saw, and they've been there for a few years already. The large signs outside in Times Sq. and elsewhere all use separate R, G, B, some with more reds than the other colors.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason they use discrete LEDs in the outdoor signs is brightness. Discretes can achieve a brightness of 5000 nits while the denser RGB LEDs can only reach 3000 nits. If you want a sign that's readable in direct sunlight, you've gotta have the discretes. For now, anyway.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Stellatus said:
I believe that each element of colour is a separate 1W Prolight die producing a 140 degree beam at 25-30 lumens per die.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this unit designed and sized for electronic signage, illumination or both?

EricB

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The main reason they use discrete LEDs in the outdoor signs is brightness. Discretes can achieve a brightness of 5000 nits while the denser RGB LEDs can only reach 3000 nits. If you want a sign that's readable in direct sunlight, you've gotta have the discretes. For now, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ] The rgb's on the subway entrances are pretty bright, at east for daylight. I guess the Times Sq. discreet signs are a bit brighter (never really compared), but the rgb's can be seen in sunlight. These are probably using the newer "daylight visible" led's. (I guess I should ask, what is meant by "direct sunlight"? When the sunlight is hitting the sign in the front and reflecting off of it, or if the sunlight is coming from behind the sign?)