led with long run time.

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
One of the reasons that i like led's is because of the long lasting battery life but the trend seems to be high powered led's that don't last very long. I have a gerber trio but is there another led besides this that is brighter with long run time.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may seem like common sense, but until more efficient LED's come out, the only way to get a longer runtime out of a brighter light is to use a light with bigger/more batteries. The trio is a good general compromise of brightness, smallness, and decent runtime (not to mention cheapness). If you want somthing that's brighter AND runs longer, you may have to look at a light using C or D size batteries or just more AAs or CR123s. A good way around this problem is to get a small light with adjustable brightness- it wouldn't have the best runtime on high, but you only use high when you really need it and the rest of the time you use the long running low setting.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to be a butthead or anything, but the Gerber Trio (as well as the similarly bright and long-running Inova X5T) has very nice runtime. We can always hope the next 'bigger, better, brighter, faster, more' product comes along but realistically, how much more runtime than the Trio or X5T are you expecting?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I do have a couple Princeton Tec Impacts which is a basic single 5mm LED light with an optic that runs on 4 AAs. I've had them for almost two years and I've used one a LOT and it's still on the same betteries that came with the light. I think it's rated for something like 140 hours continuous or something. I was thinking of trying to put one of the 13 lumen 8mm or 10mm LEDs in one of them.

Edit - and Princeton Tec makes a 1W Luxeon version of the Impact called the Impact XL which is not one of the brighter Lux lights out there but is rated at about 50 hours. Off the top of my head, I don't recall how brightness comparres to but the XL is obviously brighter than the regular Impact or Impact II.

jtice

Flashaholic
For runtime, I like the UK 4AA LED.
Runs for a steady 10 to 12 hours ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Well, that's at a given battery size. If you want a practical, bright household light with long runtime and are willing to give up dropping it in your pocket, try the Elektrolumens Blaster series. I'd go for the Blaster 1R, which has a 3 watt Luxeon and 8 hours runtime on two D cells, but there are various other excellent choices there.