The 7x44 Light - preliminary drawings

Nubo

Enlightened
Below are preliminary drawings of the light, for dimension and layout.

The thoughts behind it are here:

7x44 initial thoughts

Desired features include:

-Use of AA cells (rechargeables or disposables)
-short length to allow use in tight places
-standable
-voltage regulation
-bright incandescent
-useful runtime (goal of 90 mins on Nimh)

The bulb will be GH44, slightly overdriven (thinking 6.6v or 6.9v at this point). Should be quite bright, though not in "superbulb" range. I wanted something with punch, but also a reasonable run time. I have experience with this bulb in bicycle lights and thought it would make a good first project.

Having done some more reading I'm coming to the realization that alkalines might not be best suited to this light (certainly not 6, as I'd first imagined). Performance on alkalines remains to be seen; may be useful "in a pinch". Even so, I think a choice between NiMH and lithium AAs is a useful one and allows the light to satisfy "power users" as well as someone who wants a light to sit around for long periods but be ready when needed.

Anyway, wanted to give some idea of the shape and size. This is preliminary and still not fully realized. Some dimensions are imaginary at this point, there are power-routing issues, etc. Hopefully it can be even a bit shorter. At this point I have not yet made any arrangements for procuring regulator(s). I'm hoping to be able to use some form of Willie Hunt regulator.

I think it's a useful form factor. While a bit big for a normal pocket, it might well be carryable with some sort of loop holster, with not much more inconvenience than a cellphone.

So, see what you think.

Note - this is not a "Sign up list". This will be my first light, and I'm still quite far from having the equipment/skills/materials and resources to complete it. I'd certainly want to have some working models in hand before making any propositions in these forums. My initial plans were for family gifts but I'd sure like to give something back to the forum if it turns out to be something that can be reasonably produced

7x44prelim.jpg

Here next to profile of a G2 Nitrolon, for comparison

7x44compare.jpg

Please don't laugh at my drawings! I don't know what kind of software/experience you guys have to produce the beautiful rendered stuff I've been seeing. For me, my drafting experience was a pencil holder in 8th grade, and I'm using a shareware CAD program that is severely testing my patience (Cadintosh for Mac) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif