When you cant find something, what do you do?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
This certain type of situation is the most frustrating kind in life (so far for me, hey Im only 12)that I experience. What do you do? Pray? Try to remember? Should I do some kind of meditation? My parents just tell me, "just pray, and God will tell you where it is". This doesnt really help.... I mean, I am religious, but even this doesnt work sometimes. What do you do?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget about it. Then it will show up within a day or two, pending how long it takes for it to show up. Seriously, if you lose something, and never remember to remember about it, once you find it, it will feel like a snap.

Cameron

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
organise myself better...
Folders and neatly ordered storage boxes are your friends! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I haven't lost a paper or anything else for quite a while.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm I never thought about it that way. But sometimes, I need that object urgently. Like sometimes, when my family goes on long car rides, I cant find my favorite books, or the books I dropped and was in the middle of, and then spend the whole car ride wondering what its about...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tend to cuss, scream, and break stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
So I try really hard not to lose or misplace anything important. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
I am not sure praying will work, but I won't go there. On the other hand, if you stop for a little bit, close your eyes, and mentally retrace your steps for when you last saw the object you lost, it may help. Don't force the issue, relax and focus on what you were doing... this helps me. Call it meditation if you like, I call it remembering.

Another tid-bit that I use: I decide on a way to organize stuff, and then I make a point of keeping that order. I used to misplace my wallet all the time because I used to take it out of my pockets (together with my keys) as soon as I got home. I decided that I would keep my wallet and my keys in my pockets. I only take them out when I need them or when I'm changing pants. I haven't misplaced my keys nor my wallet in years (probably jinxed myself right there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)!

My son has a special bag where he keeps his Karate gear. He only takes gear out in his dojo, and makes a point of checking that he has everything in there and ready to go every time. Maybe you can do that with your books before travelling.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say you should try to lose the important things Craig. That way they're not the things that will get broken. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
If its something around the house/garage like a tool, the best way to relocate it is to go out and buy another one. I guarantee that by the following day you will be holding two of them! Never fails! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Larry

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I tend to cuss, scream, and break stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's something essential (keys, knife, lights, etc) I always have a backup, so I just wait until it shows up again. Other stuff I don't worry about. .

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I just ask my wife where the thing is, of course. After all, she's the one that hid it from me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Geoff

DaFiend

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BatteryCharger said:
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me too. I curse, swear, grunt, throw stuff. Beg for help etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that prayer may be helpful -- whether a person is a believer or not. To a non-believer, prayer is very close to a visualization technique. Many people use visualization to help them accomplish tasks every day.

Sometimes I try to remember where I put something by walking around looking for the spot where I was when I decided where I would put the object in the first place. The sights, smells, sounds and/or other seemingly intangible clues that you pick up by regaining the perspective you had when you decided where to put it may jog your memory and remind you of just what it was that caused you to select the place that you finally chose for the now lost object.

It is also much easier to find a misplaced object if you can remain calm. Easier said than done.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
If I can't find it after a while, I postpone looking for it and move on to something else. Often,later it will pop into my head where I had it last. Here's the odd part: later can be anywhere from a few minutes to a few YEARS. Yes, my subconcious (sp) will still be looking for the ((^$%$&&** thing years later. Sometimes I hate it.

DaFiend

Enlightened
If i try the "visualize" method, i visualize where it "should be" and that makes me even more peeved cause its not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

SFR

Newly Enlightened
I'm Catholic and I actually pray when I can't find something. We have a tradition of praying to St. Anthony to help us when we lose something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif