Looked at a SF L4 today.....

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't all that impressed. I was going to get an Aleph I soon and I'm hoping that the 2x123 Aleph I with the DB917 is a little better at throwing the light than the L4 was? Can anyone comment?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The Aleph will outthrow the L4 with ease ... BUT the L4 puts out more light than the Aleph. Just shine you L4 in your yard in pitch black darkness and witness a real eye-opener.

Comparison pics with same camera settings and set-up:

stock L4:
realtl4.jpg

Aleph1 DB917 TY0J ... 3200 lux
relux327.jpg

bernhard

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
An L4 in a lit room is not much to look at, I agree.
Turn off the lights and prepare to be amazed!
oldgrandpajack has some in the B/S/T section for a very reasonable price, you may want to check those out.

redcar

Enlightened
L4 is about flood, not throw. If you want throw, its not your light. By all accounts, try the Aleph 3, or I can attest to the new KL1 for throwing.

I love the L4/L2. To work on a car, look for something dropped in the grass, or working/searching in a house or office, they are the way to go, especially considering their size.

Surefire_Rocks

Newly Enlightened
the L4 is an ideal camping light and great tool to illuminate a dark room. However, it is lacking the throw you would want if you desired to see something clearly at a distance.
-Ian

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a leo I want something that on high will burn your retinas out and work for clearing a building, but can also run on a low setting with an output of about 20 lumens for general lighting. That's the main reason the Aleph appeals to me. I was considering the L4 since you can change out the tailcap, but the beam is just not focused enough for spotlighting something / someone.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 isn't a spotlight. Makes a really good general purpose light, though.

The Gladius from Night-Ops, when it's released, will probably fit your needs.

SF doesn't really make a long throwing LED light.

-dan

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you should consider a modified m*g from Third Shift. He makes some potent throwers for relatively low prices. JS also makes some very nice mod versions of the tigerlight, etc.

For seeing what is in a room, an L4 is pretty impressive - for its size. It seems like maybe you need two lights.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
L2 has the beam characteristics of the L4, is longer and has a 2-stage cap with a regulated low mode of about 15-20 lumens.

If you want a relatively bright low mode the L2 is your ticket since the McGizmo cap cannot be that bright on low mode.

bernhard

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has a smooth flooding beam like the L4, and it easily matches the new KL1 for throw. (The L4 still puts our more total light, but this drop-in has a much more useful beam in my opinion.) Unfortunately, it's out of stock for a while.

With well-focused Luxeon III lights coming out, the L4 is starting to show its age. But it's still a powerhouse when throw isn't essential.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
asdalton said:

With well-focused Luxeon III lights coming out, the L4 is starting to show its age. But it's still a powerhouse when throw isn't essential.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you have both?

You can get a far throwing LED light...don't you need a good reflector, like the Aleph 3?

The L4 is a LuxV and is a great flood but not a thrower, but it does that well and that is what I need most of the time.

It is true that when we hear something, and need to identify it at a distance, the L4 is useless.

ob1

Newly Enlightened
the BugoutGear lux III drop in does rock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Only wish there was a 2 stage switch for the G2