Your reaction to ElektroLumens ELX-6 FlameThrower

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was considering this light:

<font color="green">ElecktroLumens ELX-6 FlameThrower</font>
ELX-6.18.JPG

It's near the end of prototyping. He's considering textures and finishes.

Wayne Johnson makes these. There is a small run in the works. For that, he will employ a local machine shop using a CNC lathe.

The "futures" price is kind of high. It does come with rechargable batteries and a smart charger that fits the tail jack-in-the-cap.

It looks to be massively bright. If you blew a piston on your Harley you'd have a replacement part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

What do you guys think about this light?

It is discussed here: ELX-6 FlameThrower

It is also discussed here:
ELX-6 FlameThrower

Here is his web site: Eleckto Lumens

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too expensive for me ($300.00)
I'd never spend that kind of money without a lot more information and that would include beam shots similar to what is done by magazines that review bike lights.
What will it light up and how does it compare with other $300.00 products.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Re: Your reaction to ElektroLumens ELX-6 FlameThro

I have several of Wayne's lights. The TriStar Phazer is one of my favorites. It runs in my house on NiMH C batteries, has a terribly bright spot thanks to three LuxIIIs, and is built nicely.

I will wait awhile for him to get the bugs out on this one. I think he will continue selling them (he has said so in his posts here) and I want to get one further down the line.

It's a neat idea and I would like one, but I am buying other things and can't buy Everything (where would I put it and how would I pay for it and how would I enjoy it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

nitric

Newly Enlightened

i love to own one, but currently, cannot afford the US300.00 yet.

and i am interested to get his tristar phazer but no longer availabe.

cognitivefun

Enlightened

I will say that Wayne has gotten very good at this multiple LuxIII type of light and I am sure his light is going to be very fine.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kewl
there are some days when I wish I had won the lottery
mabey i should actually buy a ticket :-0

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
VidPro said:
Kewl
there are some days when I wish I had won the lottery
mabey i should actually buy a ticket :-0

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you may find or be given a ticket, the chances of you winning are not that much less even if you don't buy one.

You are more likely to be hit by parts falling from an airplane or have a meteor land within 2 or three miles of you.
With my luck, if I won the plane part would kill me and the meteor bury me.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

my first reaction was i wish i had disposable income to afford a $300 light.

i've never been let down by a light from Wayne, and the beamshot of the light looks like it has a huge spill beam. i'd luv to have something like that to keep around the house to check outside with.

i can't justify the purchase tho. i've never spent more than $80 on a light and don't plan to.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Painter said:
You are more likely to be hit by parts falling from an airplane or have a meteor land within 2 or three miles of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lotto odds are much worse than even that. The odds of being killed by a meteor are 1 in 20,000--on par with being killed in a plane crash--while the odds of winning the typical lottery are on the order of 1 in 7 million.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
EnLIGHTtenment said:
Lotto odds are much worse than even that. The odds of being killed by a meteor are 1 in 20,000--on par with being killed in a plane crash--while the odds of winning the typical lottery are on the order of 1 in 7 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! What planet do you live on? I don't believe there is any recorded instance of a human being killed by a meteor, though at least one has been bruised by one.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, I can only find one case of a person actually being hit by a meteor. Or one in America anyway, which puts the odds at about 1 in 700 million /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a friend who always used to say that the lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math!

As far as the light, FANTASTIC, but I don't think it's in my budget just yet, maybe next year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
wasBlinded said:
Wow! What planet do you live on? I don't believe there is any recorded instance of a human being killed by a meteor, though at least one has been bruised by one.

[/ QUOTE ]

>> THREADJACK ALERT! <<

BBC News - "A Meteorite Smashed Through My Roof"

Xenophilia - Woman Hit By Falling Star

Space.Com - A roundtable debate about the potential danger of meteorite impacts

We now return you to your regularly scheduled flashlight thread, in progress...

newo

Newly Enlightened
I liked it well enough to order one a few weeks back. It has evolved quite a bit, for the better, since I placed my order.

I have one of Wayne's Quads and like it. So when something that is definitely brighter, even to the point of excess, came along I decided I wanted one.

Given what this light is, and the fact that the price is actually less than the cost of a night out on the town, I don't think the price is unreasonable at all. People's perceptions of value differ, though, and that fact is one of the things that makes the world go 'round . . . .

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup, thats the one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif There was a case of one going through someone's house and stopping the next room from them, and another of one hitting the trunk of a car. But thats the only case I've heard that I think is real of a person getting actually hit by one.

Shame you can't use that luck for something else like that lottery ticket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
wasBlinded said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the odds.

http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/geol204/impacts.htm

The calculations include the risk of a civilization killer or extinction event.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the light both the ELX 6 handheld and bike light. I still want them to get more refined before I buy. I actually do not have the funds right now which is a good thing as it will only get better with time. I am more into function value then collectible value so I would really want to hear what others say about the light once they have one. I do own one of Waynes Quad bike lights. That thing is simply amazing. By the time I do have the funds there will probably already be something even better. I would persnoally like a $300 light to be guarnateed to be very water resistent and dunkable (large puddles).

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am

Using six LED's? Running all those LED's, this light will get very warm or hot (based on relative inefficiency of todays LEDs; ie still too much power being wasted as heat, instead of being utilized to generate light). Not good.

Light style a bit too plain. Bulky. Protruding screw heads. Not good again.

Plus, there does not appear to be runtime, beam shape, beam quality, and actual beam color details about the light, yet.

$300 for the above, I don't think so!

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast

300 USD is too much in my opinion. There are no special features on this flashlight, is't just an ordinary flashlight with 6 emitters. For this price, the design could be better too.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, fellows.

Mike Painter -

Yes, a $300.00 price tag causes me some substantial pause. I have only one light in that range. I would have to sell one of my ELs to be able to reasonably afford this one.

I believe Wayne J. is planning on doing some beam shots soon. He's been known to do beam shots of his neighborhood street. Real world shots would be good. I'm not familiar with Bike Magazine bike light review beam shots. I'll bet they are telling.

cognitivefun -

I have the first run Tri-Star and use it frequently.

I think waiting until other iterations come out is a good idea. I too, wish I could buy every light I wanted.

ma435q -

I would love to own on too. ElektroLumens says he's going to build ELX-3s. That might be a good solution for you. If you put a "Want To Buy" in BST you could have a good chance at picking up a Phazer.

cognitivefun -

I think it will end up being pretty darn nice too.

VidPro -

I won the luxeon lottery on all my ELs. My TS has three matched LSs.

A multi-million dollar lottery would be nice. I've never played either.

Mike Painter -

I think the odds of being hit by the accidental evacuation of an airliner's septic tanks would be a little higher than being hit by a stray part. JMHO.

BlindedByTheLite -

< or = $80.00 for a light is a good parameter to follow. Lots of very nice lights, as you know, can be had in that range.

enLIGHTenment -

20,000 to 1 odds of being killed by a meteor? Next thing I'll hear is that you are a ModMan. Since they are usually celestial aliens; your stats might be true.

wasBlinded -

Oops. I see you may have been thinking the same thing.

James S -

"the lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math!" Gotta remember that one.

Seems that I recall that you are the owner of a new EL. I try to read all of you contributive posts on the EL forum.

Hooked On Photons -

Nice hijack. I enjoyed that.

newo -

Ah Hah! So you were one of the ten guys who already paid for one of the thirty or so first runs being built.

The world does seem to want to go around.

mtbkndad -

That is a good approach. I like to see what owners think also. Sounds like your BikeLightQuad worked out well for you.

I guess you've already read that he's looking to have a plug for the jack-in-the-cap on the ELX-6. That was a concern for me as well.

meeshu -

I think that monster 3" inch piston head will handle the heat.

Detailed beam attributes would be nice.

Erasmus -

I hear ya. I guess I see the ELX-6 as being fairly special. I hope EL eventually puts a seventh emitter (5mm, 8mm or 1W) in the center of the array for low-light needs. I think that is his plan. That might seal the deal for me.

All -

Thanks again for your reactions. I'm still on the fence but all your comments were helpful.

----------------------

Jeff