What are the brightest 5mm white leds availble ?

tonyb

Enlightened
I need some bright 5mm white leds does nichia still have the brightest leds available or is it somebody else now?

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What are the brightest 5mm white leds availble

Nichia NSPW500CS 5 mm white LED are 16,000 MCD typical. High flux ranks (bins) can reach up to 31,000 MCD (source). I don't know the exact price of the Nichia's, but I think the best MCD/dollar are the 26,000 MCD LEDs sold on Ebay, for example here. They are only 0.35 dollar each and they are very bright, I used them in a head lamp mod. 9 of those LEDs are brighter than a 1 watt regulated Luxeon flashlight.

mateen

Enlightened

Anyone have an extra 5 or 10 26000 mcd LEDs laying around they might be willing to sell me? I don't need 100pcs because I am only switching out single LEDs in a few lights. Thanks if you can help!

tonyb

Enlightened

I'm in the same situation, I only need like 10 to play around with. I think there is a guy on here that sells small quantity but i don't know his handle.

Thanks!

Skibane

Enlightened

Several of the sources on ebay also sell in smaller quantities (albeit at a higher price per LED). I might suggest you do a ebay keyword search for "white 5MM led" and see what turns up.

Also, there have been group buys on the 26K LEDs - Wouldn't hurt to check the
"Buy/Sell/Trade" and "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" forums.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are also ISP leds (pre MJLED), I believe theses are 5mm and have a current draw of 100-125mA. Other than that, 20k or 26Kmcd off ebay.
Jeff

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
tonyb said:
I'm in the same situation, I only need like 10 to play around with. I think there is a guy on here that sells small quantity but i don't know his handle.
Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]
Try cpfr rocketmaninphoenix
He was doing a GB as of a week ago.

teststrips

Enlightened

the previously mentioned MJLED is the brightest 5mm led I've ever seen (but they have to be used with a reflector since they are not focused). My MJLED in a MiniMag (mag 2AA) blows away every light I've upgraded with the 26K mcd units I got from ebay. If the light you are going to upgrade doesn't have a reflector, or is tiny (ie like a mag solitaire) then the 26K would probably suit you better. MJLEDs have been available in the past from users here on CPF, but I don't know of any current sources.

I just purchased, but haven't recieved yet a similar led to the MJLED from the shop go to mod shop then LEDs. They are labled as Uncut High Power White 5mm/25degree LED **NEW** and MJ Cutdown High-power 5mm LED *NEW*

I don't know if anyone has reviews for them yet or not, i haven't seen anything though

mateen

Enlightened

Wow - good stuff folks. Thanks for the tips. I am on my way to the sandwich shoppe to get some of those uncut 5mm, because I couldn't seem to locate rocketmaninphoenix. I'll update the thread after I install.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
mateen said:
Wow - good stuff folks. Thanks for the tips. I couldn't seem to locate rocketmaninphoenix.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try rocketmaninphx this time (Gary)

mateen

Enlightened

Ah - I see him now. Well, I've got some of those uncut bright 5mms from the sandwich shoppe on the way now so I'll mess with those first. Thanks for the followup though!