ProLite II opinions

lenslover2003

Newly Enlightened
Group,

First post,and have a general question for headlight users. How do you feel the ProLite II compares to other brands/models? I tried using the search function,but came up with nothing. I own one,had it modified to put out 25% more light,and it rocks! Fantastic for caving.

Thanks!

RobF

Newly Enlightened
Hey Lenslover,
I'm trying to get some opinions of headlamps in the range of the prolite II and would love to hear some things about the Prolite II like what battery source you're using, how long it lasts at what light output setting, etc. Also what you did to modify for that 25% increase.

The light source i'm considering for my new caving setup are:
-Prolite II w/ 3.7ah battery NiMH - http://www.proliteii.com/index.html
-FX-ion 14 led & spot system - http://www.speleo.co.uk/
-NOVA system - http://www.speleo.co.uk/
-HDS Action Light III - http://www.hdssystems.com/ActionLight.html

Thanks for any info,
Rob

I would love to hear how these systems compare to each other.

lenslover2003

Newly Enlightened
RobF,
Thanks for replying to my query about the ProLite! I was beginning to think that no one else had one,or even heard of them! After looking at your link to their site,I see that they have upgraded the models considerably. The light I have,the original design,had 4 settings but they are somewhat different. They are: Low LED,High LED,Xenon and High LED,Xenon only. The 25% increase in output was accomplished by sending it back to Brian,to have it upgraded. I did not do the fix myself. I sent it back to him because a few of the LED's were weaker than the others,and I wanted it brighter.Brian did the upgrade,and changed the entire LED package FREE OF CHARGE!Can't say enough good about his service! Originally,the low setting was too low for caving comfortably in our Black Hills caves.It seemed like I was always running it on high,and worried about draining the battery. I,too,use the 3.7 AH and it works really well. With the upgrade in place,I can run on the low setting and still see well. With it on high,it's great. It really lights up a cave passage! Regarding the run time,I don't think changing it made much difference. The IMO website lists the run time as 8.75 hours on high LED,and I think it is still in the ballpark.I have never just let it run down completely,and timed it. I used it yesterday for 4.5 hours,after having it sit awhile,and it worked fine-no dimming noticed.That was using the Xenon bulb,too.
Now for some thoughts and seat of the pants,comparisons. I have friends who own both the Corona and the Yukon HL. The Xenon bulb in my Prolite,is definitely brighter than the Yukon's 1 watt. Or so it seems visually. However,the LED never needs replacing,and I have already replaced my Xenon once. At 10$ a bulb,that adds up. As to the light pattern of the regular LED's,the Yukons throw a good spread but the Prolite simply overwhelms it at close range,in depth and spread.BUT,we are comparing 3 LED's Vs. 20! It should! The Corona on all 8 LED's is probably more than the Prolite output. However,I would think that the Prolite battery would last a lot longer,and that the Corona seems to have a more focussed light spread. Please keep in mind that I am using MY light for these comparisons.I am guessing that the new ones use more modern LED technology.Certainly the adjustable output is a great feature.Brian may have really kicked it up a notch,compared to mine! At the time, I bought mine because it was the best! It's still darn good,too. It's just that I if I was to buy a light set from scratch now,I would have to see the newer models before buying it again. I love the way the Prolite uses the TAG battery attachments,compared to regular batteries.Much cheaper in the long run,and you can get that monster 7 amp if you need it. However,it's nice to simply go to any sporting store,and buy a Yukon HL,for 1/3 the price. If I could change only one thing about the Prolite,it would be to get rid of the Xenon,and go with a 3 watt LED,instead. Nice to not have to worry about it burning out.The way it is now,the bulb is simply pushed or pulled,in or out,to adjust the beam.During replacement,I was thankful I didn't break anything,especially those little prongs on the bulb!

Overall,I wish there were more of them being used so we could get an accurate assessment of the new model. I have no experience with any of the other types you mentioned,so I can't help you there.

I will be going on a cave trip this Sunday,so if you have questions about performance,let me know.

Thanks, Carter

RobF

Newly Enlightened
Hey mucho gracias on that info Carter! Sounds like even your earlier Prolite is a great setup. I'll be checking out lights at Spring VAR, possibly getting something.
Rob

proliteii

Newly Enlightened
Hi RobF,

I'm glad to hear that you are interested in the Prolite II Systems. Currently, IMO still has a few of the Original models of the ProLite II in stock. I'll be stopping at IMO this weekend to show Alex the new features of the light. I'm not sure he'll be taking any of the new one until he sells what he has in stock. As for the newer models, we do have the Basics and Standards available but I'm waiting on the circuit boards to come in for the Premier headpiece. I'll have a demo model of each style at VAR along with the Basic and Standard for sale.

I'm not sure what time I'll be showing up at VAR but you can stop by IMO and ask Alex to point me out. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them for you.

Have a great day.

Brian

RobF

Newly Enlightened
HEY BRIAN,
THANKS, I'LL BE GATHERING MY QUESTIONS. MOST LIKELY I'LL BE WANTING TO WAIT ON THE PREMIER HEADPIECE AFTER SEEING IT. LOOKING FORWARD TO IT, SEE YOU AT VAR NEXT WEEKEND.
ROB