Maglite 4D Luxeon Mod?

elfen1

Newly Enlightened
I just got my TX1LW stars in and hooked the mup to a heatsink that will go in my 4 D cell Maglite. I measured 1 with 4 NiMh cells and its pulling 1.5 amps, then with a 1 ohm resistor which knocked it down to 500Ma. My question is can I run it at 1.5 amps and 4V or should I use maybe a 1/2 ohm resitor? And what is a good temp range for these LUX 3 watts? When I'm done it will be a 4 star concoction all parallel. I don't want to blow my stars up they can be pretty pricey!

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this a Quad or Single Luxeon mod?
What is your battery type NiMh | NiCd | Alkaline?
Single Luxeon, I would definitely resistor it down. I think I went with a 1.2 Ohms for mine.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
i really recommend a "Fatman" or similar type booster circut. like you said Stars are too much $ to fry by accident.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
fatman and specs are available from taskled.com (CPF Member georges80)

However it's not possible to drive 4x LuxIII in parallel at 900mA per your other post. Possible in series though, with low enough Vf (J or H) that is.

I would recommend you use 2 separate fatman driving them in series. Just from a little trial/error experience.

elfen1

Newly Enlightened
I haven't hooked all four up yet but was wondering what your trial and error was? With all four does the current drop significantly compared to just 1 star? 1 was pulling 1.5 amps on 4 D cells nimh. And if so what specs did you get, cause I'm waiting to solder on the leads when I figure out some more info.