Will a M3 head/bezel fit on a M4?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Surefire M4, but that turbo head just seems too big for the body. I'm wondering if I can buy an M4 and then buy just the M3 head/bezel and swap them out. Does anyone know if this can be done?

cy

Flashaholic
m6 m3 2.JPG

wquiles

Flashaholic
It will fit, but you will need to match the lamp of the "regular" M3 head with the right batteries since the lamps for the regular M3 are designed for 9v (3 cells) and the M4 of course uses 4 cells (12v). This post has some information on the lamps for each head:
Post on SureFire Heads and lamps ...

I have not tried on my M4, but if you use two 168s PILA's in the M4 your combo should work with the lamps designed for the regular M3 head as you would have the right voltage for them. In the post above "Topper" talks about using 2 168s Pila's and the N2 lamp - that is what I mean by mathing the battery to the lamp's voltage.

Will

Size15's

Flashaholic
The "M3" bezel will fit on the M4 body. BUT, there are not Lamp Assemblies for the "M3" bezel that can handle four SF123A batteries.

Therefore you can use a Z20 Battery Spacer (in blue):

I can not comment on using other battery types (LiIon).

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, it looks pretty good!! Now I just have to figure out how to get 225 lumens for an hour out of it...

pyro

Enlightened
Not sure how to get an hour, but 2x 168A give 40 minutes
(or use unprotected 18650 LiIon cells for better runtime,
can´t really recommend that)
Unfortunately this requires the body to be bored out, wich isn't easy without a lathe and proper tools.
The N2 and MN15 look a tiny bit yellow, MN16 is nice and bright for a least 30 minutes.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I do not have A M3 is the M4 lamp too large or too small,long or what; why will it not fit? Just curious it does look pretty nice. I use my L6 head on the M4 some times
kinda reminds me of that but it won't go 225 lumens of course.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M3 comes with a 225 lumen lamp, correct? I can't see why the M4 lamp wouldn't work in the M3 head, unless the actual lamps are different sizes.

Topper

Flashaholic*
No doubt that must be the case I was just wondering why my guess would be the ID of the M3 head is too small but I do not know.On second thought it may be the spring sizes or spacing between the lamps the M3 lamp might be shorter so the depth would be off. I could guess more but I flat do not Know. I hope I can sleep tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hey thanks Al, it was starting to drive me crazy.It bottoms out not much to do about that.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drats. Hmmm, but could you run the 225 lumen lamp that comes with the M3 in the M4 with the 4 batteries?

wquiles

Flashaholic
KDOG3,

You can't if using regular/primary CR123's. However, using 2 168s PILAs would then give you the right voltage.

Will

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That involves boring the body out. Yikes. I can't see paying $330 for a brand spanking new SF M4 and then doing that to it. Oh well, guess I just have to live with what they got. Thanks for the info guyz.

wquiles

Flashaholic
No boring needed with the 168s PILA's - I have an M4 and I know first hand these fit "as-is".

You must be thinking about the larger diameter 168a PILAs - these will NOT fit, just like the 18650 2400mAh will not fit either.

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
I used the 168s to test my KL6 head (from my L6) so I know the M4 with 168s works - however, I have not yet tried the combo of using two 168s with the bulbs/lamps for the M3.

Will

Topper

Flashaholic*
I think the M3T lamps is what you need or N2. N2,MN15 MN16
work in the M4 with 2 168s Pila cells. The M3 lamp judgeing
from Als great photo shows the M3 lamps are shorter, thats a bad thing the lamp bulb would not be in the right place for a good beam.(I think)
Topper

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just so you're aware, the MN10 and MN15 feature the same bulb, as do the MN11 and MN16. It is highly likely that the N2 bulb is the same as the P90 bulb.

How the different reflectors manage the light is where the magic is at.

Al