L6/M6 Stubby

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
2.jpg

The stubby L6 starts from the body of an M500B Surefire Weapon light. This part adds length to incorporate the Surefire MB20 battery carrier which is the same one used in the M6. Surefire also makes an MB10 battery carrier which carries three CR123's instead of the
six.
8.jpg
9.jpg

The M6 tail cap is designed for a flashlight body with a long flange to slide up and make contact with a ledge on top of an inner cup which is inside the tail cap. Because this body does not have the long flange, it was necessary to either lower the shoulder on the body, shorten the tail cap, or both. The alternative was to just add a length to the body to reach into the tail cap and make contact. This solution seemed easier and didn't require machining the original parts.
1.jpg

I ordered an aluminum spacer from a machinist with an inside diameter of 1.5" with a 1/16" thickness and .25 inches tall. The spacer ended up being too thick, so I had to sand it down. It actually needed to be about 1/32" thick.
5.jpg
6.jpg

I also had to increase the length of the MB10 battery holder by about .25 inch , so I used a stack of 10mm magnets. I'll eventually make a delrin spacer to replace the magnet stack.
4.jpg
3.jpg

I temporarily super glued the spacer on the end of the body (I'll solder it later) and tested it out. Yahoo! It works – a stubby L6.
10.jpg

The spacer works out well plus the extra quarter inch will give me room for a new battery carrier. I'm wanting to try out two configurations. One will use 3 Pila 150S batteries and the other will use 6 CR2 batteries in a configuration similar to the MB20. Here's a preview of the stubby M6.
7.jpg

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: L6 Stubby

Very nice! The unit looks impressively girthy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Creative and innovative.

Wilkey

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened

Well here's the proof of boredom photos. Rather than stacking 3 on 3, I decided it would be easier to have 2 stacked on 4. This way the third batteries are easily isolated and the current can just be run to the two that are stacked (does that make sense?). Keep in mind this is just a crude concept holder. I'll eventually have ends machined once the exact dimensions are measured.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Four CR2's go quite well inside the 1.5" tube.
8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hay, Turd! Ah'm in! Gots me a M6 already, so's if'n ah git yore body/battery holder then ah'll only jest hafta git me a L6 after.

Lemme know, pardner.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif