an old favorite. Tell about your first SNII

cy

Flashaholic
lighting SNII and finding out it was second brightest luxeon light after MRX-X3T.

then killing SNII by sticking in 2x 18650 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
...then killing SNII by sticking in 2x 18650 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whaaa??? CUT-OFF!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

cy

Flashaholic
don't worry I've got plans to bring SNII back to life with Wbin and fatman driver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey charlie, the SNII you made me sure has staying power! i'm not selling it ever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a Space Needle II with "Assault and Batteries" barrel, and I do not intend to sell it, trade it away, throw it in the garbage can, give it to the milkman, or otherwise dispose of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best memory...probably firing it up for the first time and finding it smoked every other flashlight I owned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

vhyper007

Enlightened
How bout considering leaving it to me in your will or will you be buried with it so it wont be so damn dark in that box?

I eagerly await your reply...

vhyper

btw are the assault and batteries still available ?

and what innovative batteries are you who responded using?

DaveT

Enlightened
Firing it up the first couple times - totally blew away anything I had...still does now that I sold my Mag85.
Actually, one funny moment was telling my 11-year-old nephew "No, really, this is a really bright light" after making the mistake of showing him the Mag85 first.

I got it late - when Mr. Bulk had not been making them for a while, but he made me one to go with the assault and batteries he was selling at the time (this was before his "final SNII" where he did a step-by-step instructions on how to do your own).

Mine sits with its Assault and Batteries attached by the bed as a "bump in the night" light...of course, that's only for bumps outside our place. Inside our apartment, nighttime bumps mean the kids are stirring around.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first SNII was my second flashaholic purchase ever, and wow! White, bright, and perfect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif Sold it after I got my MR-X X3T, but then missed the SNII so learned to build my own! After all this time, it's still the second-brightest single LED light around, second only to the MR-X itself. I consider both to be in the same family, with the MR-X essentially an evolutionary improvement on the original.

The SNII is without a doubt one of the milestones in modder-produced lights, and its aftershocks can still be felt YEARS after its introduction. I know of no other LED flashlight that's stood the test of time so well. Kudos Charlie! You built us a classic.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PeterW

Enlightened
Wonderful feel in the hand, lightweight but a good solid feel. I still chuckle when I fire it up. Still to meet anyone with a light to beat it. It may be getting on in age, but it's just a timeless creation.

The number of imitations shows how ahead of its time it was.

PEterW

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow i am going to get one or build me one some day.soon as some nwer 5 watts come out or v bin lux III lol

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wow, this sure is a cool thread with some of the most concise, yet eloquently written responses I've read yet. It's like we're retirees sitting around talking about the good ol' days...are we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SNII was my 1st modded light and set the standard for other mods!

I run the assault and batteries with 6 NIMH cells and couldn't be happier!

Great light, I now use it with a diffusion lens for a perfectly smooth beam since I have incans that I use for throw. I still haven't run into a Luxeon based light with more output or throw, though I do have that WXOT LuxV to do something with!

A great light, and one that I also have learned to build.

I'm trying to figure out why 18650's toasted it. That should be only 8.4 volts or so peak and one of Mr. Bulks creations should handle that. I was considering running mine on 2 Pila 168A's, but now will reconsider.

Bill

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:

I'm trying to figure out why 18650's toasted it. That should be only 8.4 volts or so peak and one of Mr. Bulks creations should handle that. I was considering running mine on 2 Pila 168A's, but now will reconsider.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

don't do it, it will fry luxeon. what I suspected happen was each 18650 puts out 20+ amps to luxeon.

3x CR123's internal resistance limits max current to luxeon.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

don't do it, it will fry luxeon. what I suspected happen was each 18650 puts out 20+ amps to luxeon.

3x CR123's internal resistance limits max current to luxeon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two words my friend: Linear Regulator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650's won't do 20amps, besides that, the Luxeon would have to draw that for it to cause a problem.

The voltage drop on 123's at 1 amp is not huge, so 3 123's should be right at 9 volts, at least initially.

The 18650's should be less than that.

I'm still a little confused as to why that would happen.

I'll have to do a little research.

Bill