Mag85 on 6 PILA 168S = Warped ALU Reflector

tkgear

Newly Enlightened
Most people when making a Mag85 usually go with AA nimh batteries and 3AA to D converters.

However, in my case, I had more ready access to PILA batteries so I thought why not overdrive it with a stack of 3 PILA 168Ss (168'S?, 168S? like a moose and many moose, a sheep and many sheep?)

I also only had a 4D Mag, so it would probably fit in lengthwise without a problem.

However, a single string couldn't start it up without a double tap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

This wasn't acceptable, as this light is meant to be a defensive light for my mom.

The double tap requirement is not tactically sound, as I'm sure it'll be easily forgotten when in a panic, rendering the light "unlightable".

So it would have to be 2 strings in parallel.

So here is where the real magic comes in.

I asked Burnt_Retinas of MiniHID rechargable kit fame if he could please build a holder to take 2 strings of 3 PILA 168Ss, and here's the result.

4d1.JPG

4d2.JPG

Its an excellent holder of the highest quality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

I'm sure the miniHID rechargable people could also testify to the excellent quality of holders Burnt makes.

According to my rough calculations, its putting out about 1200 lumens.

This is it compared to a P60.

4d3.JPG

Here's what happened to the reflector after 3 minutes while trying to take the above beam shot.

4d4.JPG

Hot stuff huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Has anyone else had their fivemega ALU reflectors warp or melt? I mean while inside a torch, not an oven.

I'm sure my mom will definately enjoy this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Burnt! U /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Brian

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!

I've never done that to an aluminum reflector from Carley or Otokoyama. And I run 100W Osram bulbs in them with some regularity for more than 3 minutes at a pop.

That's not the aluminum warping but heat-induced bubbling of the acrylic coating that is the substrate for the vapor deposited aluminum.

Wilkey

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Wilkey said. I've never seen a Carley do this.

Plus, it would be generating 1234 bulb-lumens but not putting that much out the front. 800 out the front is a pretty close estimate, according to local hot-wire wisdom.

Oh, and it would be "168S's" to refer to the plural of 168S. Not trying to be a punctuation PITA; just thought I'd mention it since you asked.

tkgear

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the punctuation correction js. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Its always puzzled me what to call them.

So how do you pronounce that? "168-es-esses"?

Brian

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
Gee, I've been nagging for a pic of this mod; now I've got to see this thing real-life. That's a lot of lumens and makes the P60 look like a 5mm LED.

I'm curious how the reflector could damage that much though. If it's aluminium it shouldn't do that surely. I too wonder what FiveMega has to say.

Chris

tkgear

Newly Enlightened
Hi Chris

Glad you could join us!

Here they are

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

My reflection in the reflector looks like a psychiatric inkblot test.

Should I do thumbnails that link to larger files, or are the majority of people using broadband?

Brian

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done run time test with 18AA Sanyo 2300 (9x2) for an hour and ten minutes without problem.
Seems like smooth coating is melted and not aluminum body right?
That coating was done by Carley Lamps. I am going to contact them Monday morning.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
168S's is the possessive form

A single 168S's usefulness was debated.

For nouns ending in s "es" is added to get the plural.

bus. busses
truss. trusses

The string of 168Ses provided plenty of power.

The plural possessive would be 168Ses'

The string of 168Ses' power was plentiful.

All three forms would be enunciated in the same way.

The "Izz Izz" problem comes up in creating the plural possessive of proper nouns. "Izz Izz" is simply avoided in spoken English. If the name ends in a soft s sound add "es" plus the apostrophy.

The Joneses' flashlights are nice.

If the name ends in s with a hard z sound just add the apostrophy.

The Chambers' flashlights are expensive.

If the name ends in a silent s add an apostrophy and an s.

Arkansas's state parks are beautiful.

I won't go in to why Arkansas is spelled in a plural form. I do think it is one reason why I can't spell just real good.

Y'all can go back to conversating now.

--------------

- Jeff

tkgear

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I think its just the coating.

The body appears to be fine.

Do they do returns for stuff like this?

Another of the reflectors I received had a 2cm scratch down the middle of the smooth coating.

tkgear

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys

I forgot to add that I was only using the normal Mag switch with a potted WA01185 when this happened.

The switch is perfectly fine.

I've also just read that NikolaTesla melted his fivemega reflector.

His thread

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I had some bubbling show up at the lower end of an SMO when I was still playing with my smoking M*gBP85. It actually helps the beaam to a small degree, so I never made a big hairy deal about it...

This looks well and trully bad however!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much this kind of melting would affect the beam is probably minimal, but it is bothersome as these were coated by Carley and Carley has done large numbers of reflectors that we have used in very high output lights without difficulty.

Hopefully this is a prep problem that is easily sorted out.

Bill

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
**To sacred two type with EyesBrake swatching...**

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Hmm Briiiiannnnn..... Did those Pila 168S's's's's's' fit inside your mag?

I didn't realise our friend from sunny Melb was in the house!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Heyya Chris!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

How much for another of those holders sent to Perth? Would another set of Pilas in parallel fit inside a 5d mag body or is that pushing it a bit too much?

5D measures in length: 32ish cm's. I think a Pila is about 7cm long each so that's 35cm minimum for the batts plus the extra length allowance for the spacers and pcb.

Hey Chris, a thought: Is it possible to have the length customly adjusted to meet a particular overall holder length requirement? It seems so to look at it but you buile em and know what's possible or not so I'll wait to hear from you.

Reason being; I have the 5D and can get away with using 6 Pilas in place of 8... Hmmm, I have a nflex on the way too, would it be able to handle the volts etc? I'm running 3 x lux3's.

Maaan, I can't wait to check back on this thread....

oh, err... sorry for the hijack there Brian... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

tkgear

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tim

No worries, go ahead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This thread was actually meant to give credit to Chris for his excellent work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just put the warping thing to show the power of a Mag85 on PILAs.

2x 168S width should fit in your 5D without any problem.

Anyhow, I've sent the warped reflector back to fivemega to have it claimed under warranty from Carley.

I'm sure Carley do good work and I'm just "lucky".

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
mmmmmm..... piiiilaaass's's's's''sss''ss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif~

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose that for our purposes 168Ss would be fine for plural. Wouldn't want anyone thinking there was an ES or extended service model.

Plural of Pilas? Same as Chambers.

One of the Chambers has a SureFire.

Two of the Chambers have SureFires.

One of the Pilas went into protection mode.

All of the Pilas went into protection mode.

The plural of Ice is Ice.

The plural possessive of OddBall is up for grabs. Anyone want to take a crack at it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Hey, nobody take a crack at my OddBalls dammit! I read it's natural to be lopsided... :evil grin:

Anyway, everyone who knows anything knows that the plural of Ice is.... MORE ICE!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif