IMO, flashaholicism is not genetic...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone else think the same? I mean, my father thinks I am crazy for "liking" flashlights, and everyone here says the same about how their parents and siblings get on their nerves about lights. I noticed that many of us here have children who enjoy flashlights too. I am not too sure why this is, maybe just because children are curious. But I myself think that flashaholicism is not genetic.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everybody has a hobby. How old is your dad? There are some folks from a certain area and time period that are just thrifty, and they don't believe that you should spend any more than you absolutely have to. I know a few people like this myself, and they wouldn't understand spending more than a dollar on a flashlight, unless they could get them free somehow. .

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I know from Dad's side I got NOTHING about flashlights genetically.

But Mom's Dad was using them when I was young and was an outdoors man.

So I know where I got it! I actually have several traits I got from Grandpaw.

By the way, my Dad only uses one when he must. I did NOT get it from him! I am a lot unlike my Dad in many ways.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Genetic? Maybe not. Exposure might be the key, though. My father was a gadget guy, and although extremely thrifty, had several flashlights. I believe I "inherited" that interest just from being around him and his "toys," and/or wanting to be like him.

I still remember some of my father's really old lights--they'd probably be collector's items today. Hmm, I wonder if they're still around somewhere.