There is just something I like about colored leds

marcspar

Enlightened
Ever since my first led light (red photon), I have thought the colored leds have a special wow factor even if they are not as useful as a white light for all around use.

Blue, green and red luxeons just seem to put out huge volumes of light.

I just had Chop build me an AlephII, single 123 bodied light with a royal blue lux III and I can't stop playing, I mean using the light.

I keep going down to the basement of my office just to turn everything blue!

As everything Chop builds, the fit and finish of the light is jewel-like and his service and advice is awesome.

Back to the light (so I don't have to move this to the Cheers & Jeers place) - I have been running it very happily on a rechargeable 3.7/4.2 volt rechargeable powering the Nextgen 750 engine.

Thanks, Tony!

Back to work.....

Marc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have an Arc LS modified to use a royal blue Luxeon III which I keep at bedside. Not necessarily to use as a "grab a flashlight to see what made that squeaky noise" light, but more of as a novelty, just to shine around after dark to see what fluoresces in the room. I also occasionally use it to recharge the GITD switchplate in this room. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When I used to have a Black Widow McLux, I did much the same thing - only using it to flood a room with red light instead of royal blue light.

ledsrule

Newly Enlightened
That rich intense color with no heat, and no gel is hard to beat. I've built some 8mm arrays w/ 9 to 12 100ma green, blue, or white LEDS. They run on 3 AA bats and throw an amazing wash. Good for many hours. I've also made some amber piranha sticks and squares- more of a wide angle, short throw. I've used the green and blue in a Halloween funhouse for our local school. Big hit. I've also used the ambers for supplemental lighting on a TV show that I gaff.

Harvey

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said: I have an Arc LS modified to use a royal blue Luxeon III which I keep at bedside. Not necessarily to use as a "grab a flashlight to see what made that squeaky noise" light, but more of as a novelty, just to shine around after dark to see what fluoresces in the room.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just to see how they actually work for you - inexpensively -
might want to try out these 70cent Color LED keychains from Emilion

EmilionColorLED.jpg

These lights come in corresponding colored translucent bodies. They look kind of like Photon 2's - but the plastic material seems more flexible/softer than those found on Photons.

They seem pretty bright.

Just like Craig said above - I found that the Blues would fluoresce the postage machine stamping - even those that look dark grey/blue under white light - like the one shown in the post - Interesting Purple LED keychain

Hunters Blaze (fluorescent) orange seems to jump with the Blue light.

BUT it does not fluoresce the UV strip on US bank notes, nor the UV strip on UK postage stamps - neither does it show as dramatically on white cotton laundry - which the Purple LED does.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: There is just something I like about colored l

Ah ... colored LEDs ... an ancient favourite of mine before the technology went over the top with the white ones.

ravenspectrum2.jpg

Some fun you can do with the Eternalight Raven ... the Rainbow trick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

peakdiscoled.jpg

The Peak "Disco Light" with 7xRGB in a swirling madness ... giving this beamshot:
peakdiscobeam.jpg

Ah ... the good old times.

bernie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

EricB

Enlightened

What is that? Who makes it? (Not the Raven; the round one!) That wouldn't be an RGB flashlight would it? Are you mixing those colors, or is it programmed?

EricB

Enlightened

OK; I see "Peak Solutions"; but I still can't find anything about this "Disco Light".

rgbphil

Enlightened

mmm coloured lights.

I have the same secret shame myself!! My loungeroom is full of all sorts of multicoloured lights that I reckon my neighbours think aliens are opening wormholes or something all the time!

I've found you can take advantage of the unaligned colour splotching you see the the beam shot above if you are making nice lamps or arty LED sculptures. Use crinkly cellaphane (preferably the half slivered kind) or say a jumble of old lenses/glass, to mix and split the RGB beams inside the 'object d'art' and you can project a nice collection of caustic effects onto a diffuser.....looks just like opal. Also been experimenting with slumped plastic..looks just like textured glass, but if you sandpaper up the flat side the texture gives what I can only describe as inverse caustic shadows (??!) when RGB beams are sprinkled through the texture....they move and shift about as the RGB mix is varied.....looks like it's alive and crawling!

Incidentally, I'm this close to releasing my first RGB product....watch the dealer forums in the next couple of weeks for the my new RGBSP002 board, a 400mmx105mm five RGB cluster (10x100mA superflux LEDs per cluster) wash with automatic control by single switch interface/IR remote or serial control, 12VAC power in...I'll also be selling the core of the board seperately...a 16pin PIC that can do 15 channels of 256 level PWM at upto 1.5kHz (max...usually 800Hz for smoother quicker colour sweeps) which I'm sure will come in handy for a lot of people....just a teaser for now...
phil

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup. I like colored lights. I have a LuxIII Cyan, and a R/O 1watt S-bin both modded into mags focued by the reflector! Very fun!! It's the pure color of light that is so bright that you can only get with high power leds!! Gotta love that erie cyan color, or the firey red-orange.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't forget amber!
I have an Aleph LE with a nice bright 1W amber LED I can put either in my Aleph II head for some nice flood or in my Aleph III head for something with punch to it.

I also love my cyan LED modded SureFire E1e. It looks stock until you press the button /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BugLightGeek said: Don't forget amber!

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Ha-ha! DoH! I did..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Considering it's been my EDC for probably 10 years now - that's embarassing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I started with a Photon (1 ie: before any other Photons) Yellow/amber and existed with just that for some 7 years - I did buy a Photon 2 Yellow when they came out to standby when the Photon 1 died - it never did, in fact the old 2032 battery still works today, after I eventually replaced it with that Photon 2 Yellow as my current EDC.

Proof of one of my initial purchase decisions was the advertised 120 hours battery life.......

I seem to see better with yellow in terms of contrast and definition at lower levels of light. Now this could be just my eyes, conditioning or even plain personal bias - but I do (over any other color including white).

I do lose color rendition - but it's a very good trade off for me since the dimmish yellow doesn't seem to affect whatever dark adaption I've acquired (note: probably not true scotopic night vision) - whereas I definitely do notice the difference using white or any other colored light (other than orange or red - with which I just do not see as well).

So yes... yellow is a great practical color for me.

EricB

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
If we are talking about lighting by multi-colored LEDs then mention should be made of the color changing LightWand, MiniLightWand, and MicroLightWand - by CK Sauce (Color Kinetics).

[/ QUOTE ] The thing about those CK wands is that they use separate reds greens and blues. Seeing them live in person, the colors don't seem to mix that well; though I am looking more at it directly (in a brightly lit store); then observing the light thrown. This Peak Disco light that was posted seems to use rgb's. That must look better. That's why I want more information on that.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
EricB said: The thing about those CK wands is that they use separate reds greens and blues. Seeing them live in person, the colors don't seem to mix that well

[/ QUOTE ]
That's true - there isn't full "integration" of colors - although the "mixing" is pretty nice toward the upper part of the frosted cone. But if one looks at the bottom where the LEDs are one can quite easily see the discrete LEDs.....

Afterall it's sold only as a toy -
and for what it does (and costs) it's pretty cool.

I also have a (novelty) pen that has tiny but also discrete red, green and blue LEDs - which also has some varying modes and mixes colors - I think the photos I took of it are pretty representative and somewhat reflective of what those CK Sauce LightWands are capable of - please see this thread:

LED Colors and Vision (pics)

billw

Enlightened

Prior to LEDs, getting anything close to monochromatic colored light
was pretty difficult, not to mention inefficient, especially at short
wavelengths. Heat a wire, get your BB radiation, and throw 80+% of it
away. Yuck. Colored LEDs are definately better!

Kiessling

Flashaholic

EricB ... it is a PeakLedSolutions McKinley (1x123) with 7xRGB LED in brass. As the RGB LEDs won't follow their sequence in synchronisation, you'll get an ever-changing color mix all the time, thus I nick-named it "Disco-Light" copying the name of the famous McGizmo 6xRGB E1e mod from the distant past ...
bernhard

EricB

Enlightened

[double post]

EricB

Enlightened

Thanks.
Though I the site; I still can't find anything about RGB. Is that some custom design or something?

So they have a random sequence, and all it does is wash colors all the time? (I am looking for something controllable).

Kiessling

Flashaholic

I had it made through their custom design center. Those are the same RGB LEDs as the Arc RGB used ... they have a fixed sequence of sweeping and popping the colors.

I am looking for something controllable, too !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
If something like this comes into existence, make sure to let us all know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie