Diamond 1W Lambertian 2D/3D Maglite question

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a Diamond 1W Lambertian Regulated led replacement bulb for a 2D Maglite. The problem I have is that with the tightest focus, I still get a black hole at the center starting from 2 meters away from the wall. I'm I the only one with this problem?

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a mag 3d that's been modded with a luxeon lambertian(HD) by Lambda. it does the same thing as will most lights with a reflector and HD luxeon(other lights might do it at a closer distance). gotta give those photons time to collect and merge out of the reflector........

if you're wanting a light to use at that close of a distance then a HD and mag reflector isn't what you'll want.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't care about the hole! I just wanted to know if I was the only one. The hole appear when I'm lighting something away. I won't have a tight spot after two meters.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use lambertian EverLeds in a Mag 2C and 2D and I don't have this problem. Try turning the head in the other direction. There should be two points in each 360 degree rotation of the head where the hole disappears. If you want, you can change the position of the reflector inside the head to make the hole disappear with the head all the way back.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I unscrew almost completely the head I can get a nice focus... But the head is almost completely unscrewed. Probably the reflector doesn't push the LED enough deeply since the level of the LED looks higher than the level of the incandescent filament. This probably cause the light to be not focused as well as with the incandescent bulb. But... Does anyone with a Diamond Lambertian have the same effect?

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just solved the problem. I found a plastic o-ring that fits exactly around the bulb socket. The reflector now push the LED one more milimeter down and I get a really nice bright spot! I get less flood with the widest focus but it isn't much visible.