any M*g mod with 3x 27mm reflectors?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Most of the mods that I see are for 3x or 4x 20mm reflectors - anyone has done one with the larger reflectors? Pictures? Beamshots?

Will

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
check elektrolumens forum. Wayne is building custom lights with 3x27mm reflectors. He aslo has one with 6 20mm!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
here is a thought:

IMS27x2.jpg

The outer circle shows the inner dimension of a maglight head..

I have cut down IMS17 reflectors doing a test and actually it made for an extremely nice beam.. it made a wide beam that was much more useful for normal walking around etc.. i did not loose too much brightness in the center and gained some more width..

the same effect should happen in this case.. and 2x27s cut down in this fashion should make for something on the order of a 3500 lux light with 2 emitters.. compare that with my 3x17s which is 2500.. or 2x20IMS which is 2500.

it will be tricky to get the depth needed but with only two emitters you will not need anywhere near as much heat sinking.. and you will also get a lot more runtime.

I am working on a 3x20 design right now and it would be interesting to see if i can get a 3x27 design based on this model.. it'd be a hell of a lot more difficult to cut the shapes for the 3-up model but it would make for a more symmetrical beam.. this beam would be distinctly oval (but very useful because of it.. it would be much nicer than the typical 27 beam.. maybe more like the 20).

This solution would be easy to cut down.. i use a dremel and either my diamond wheel or emery wheel to cut or a jewelry saw.. using a sanding block would get the edge nice and flush to mate them.. quite possibly could use model cement or something to meld them into one but that would not be necessary. The biggest hurdle would be fitting the length into the head of a maglight.

I guess this is definitely a 'thinking outside the box' solution.. but i can tell you i was extremely happy with the results with the 17IMS that i cut down to 12mm wide in a 'test case' for my MM which is only 12.7mm wide (making it quite difficult to fit in a 17mm reflector).

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok.. you asked.. here's the answer:

IMS27x3.jpg

this is what the IMS27x3 solution would look like..

IMS27x3a.jpg

and from the bottom.

it would be obviously trickier to make these cuts but i don't think overly difficult.. it should definitely be a stronger beam than 3x20IMS reflectors.. but you will have a definite 'lobe' for each beam.. but the beam center should be very nice and smooth.. if i had to guess the brightness of this solution would be about 5000 lux using Tbin emitters.

I seem to recall only a couple MM difference in height when i put an IMS 20 into my lionheart vs the 27 that it came with, so i think it won't be too hard to made the mod to the heatsink to make this solution work and it would be worth the effort.

I think i may just try it with the current design underway that is supposed to be a 3x20 IMS design.

-awr

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif
Think it would work with Modamag's triceratops?

wquiles

Flashaholic
That looks AWESOME /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

The 3 units would definitely be more work to get done right, while the two units (like you stated) should be easier to do.

By the way, heat and long run are the things in my mind driving this idea of the 3 27mm reflectors. I see the 4 x 20mm and looks like it would be both too hot and not long enough light. The sweet spot seems to be using 3 reflectors, hence my initial question. For such a mod, I would use 3 "U" bins - that would be a kick a&* light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Would these "custom" reflectors also need a custom heat sink?

Will

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think you'd have to use emitters not stars to pull off the 3-up design.. just a solid flat heatsink would do the trick, but not sure if the standard disc heat sinks would be too thick.. might have to make a thinner one than the base models.

I will be figuring these things out soon.. me and another cpf'r are 'up to no good' making a 3xLux3 mod of a maglight that will be 'outside the box' and very surprising.. if i can pull off the 3x27 it will be that much more unique.

3 U bins have a distinct possibility of putting out more than 7000-8000 lux with this cut-down IMS27x3 solution.. from the head of a C or D maglight, that is a step past awesome... we are hoping to get either 6000 lux from the 3xIMS20 'no brainer' solution.. or with this new cut-down IMS27x3 solution.. bump that up to the likes of 8000+.

considering my brightest LED light so far is a 4x lux3 with 3 in 17s and 1 in a 27.. it outputs 4000 lux (albeit for 4+hrs.. 60WH battery pack).. or 2500 lux from the 3x17s.. for 6 1/2 hrs.. the new light will be quite a bit smaller and hand-held... so won't have quite the runtime, but we have some high-hopes that we are underestimating the lux output.

will keep you posted.

-awr

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andrew,

Seeing your CAD drawings reminded me of a light I had thought about several months ago when building a Tri-Lux wishing I could stuff 3 27's in it. A CNC milled triangle shaped head large enough to house 3 27mm reflectors with counter sunk hex screws to secure the bezel to the head.

I would be just a little larger than the Mag head and provide more surface area for cooling with some fins cut into it like the KL-3 SureFire it would act as an anti roll bezel also…….Eh' it's just a thought I don't have any way of getting something like that made but it sure would be nice with some of the rumored new 100 Lux and plus LED's that are due out sometime this year.

Humm "The 327" small block head for C cells and a 427 big block head for D cells…..wonder if we could get somebody to make these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Later
Kelly

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much deeper are the 27mm reflectors? Even if you did chop them to fit diameter wise, the height might be too much. A C size mag head will have to be the only candidate at least!

Sway, you mean a head with 3 cylindrical buldges for each reflector? I've always wanted a light like that. Kind of like some of the KL3's looked, with the cut outs, reminds me of that, only reversed...

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:

Sway, you mean a head with 3 cylindrical buldges for each reflector? I've always wanted a light like that. Kind of like some of the KL3's looked, with the cut outs, reminds me of that, only reversed...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep thats just what I'm talking about we must have had the same dream /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think it would be a pretty cool looking light and the 27's should make up for some of the throw lost with the 20's.

Drop in 3 LED's with 100 Lum or more (If we ever get our hands on some) and it should make a very nice torch in a 2C size package /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later
Kelly

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sway, I read the rest of your thread and see that you talked of the KL3 head too!! I seriously didn't see that in your post as I just glanced over it and posted!! I read the first paragraph, and then the last sentance only! hehe!

I think I also thought of having 3 Mag reflectors like that.. And also thought of lights that looked like the tri-barrell gun in MiB... heh.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the design would not be too tricky (three lobed head).. it's just that quantity thing.. oh.. and how the hell to put a lens on it.. maybe three separate lenses.. that could be a fun design.. maybe i'll look inot that.. the problem is the quantity vs. price with CNC machining.

-awr

wquiles

Flashaholic
Although the three lobed head would look "kool", wouldn't be easier to simply make a slightly larger "plain" head that would screw on the M*g body that would alow the 3 27mm reflectors to sit literaly next to each other just like the 3 20mm?

You would then only need a new head about 2.5" wide, kind of like the SF Turbo Head - this post by McGizmo gave me the idea:
Turbo head with 3 27mm reflectors (Ithink) ...

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
Andrew,
Issac,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif Any more thoughs on this? Is it just to expensive to make a head that will take the 3x 27mm reflectors? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Will

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working toward a TK mod for maglight.. that uses 1, 2, 3, or 4 emitters.. I will be aiming to make a reflector that has the likes of 3x27 in one.. any competent machinist could build a head big enough to hold 3x 27 reflectors.. Wayne from elektrolumens makes a 3x27 light but the head is bigger.. very big.. like 4" diameter.... he also has a 6-led version that has six over-drive LEDs inside SO20s..

I will be doing a 'test case' soon with 3x 27 cut as shown above.. and a 2x27 similarly to compare with the 4x model i just finished today. (4 x 20IMS).. i want to see if i can get simliar lux beam by using 3x 27 instead..

-awr

wquiles

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Will

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
oops missed the Q pointed at me.. i designed a cutter to make 24mm reflectors.. it will cost me about $60 each to get 5 of them.. and in quantity it will cost about $6/each to get the 'blanks' made.. if i start making 3x24 heads for a mag mod the raw part will cost me about $10 each to make including polishing/chroming.. I'd probably sell it for $20... I have a project in the works to seek TK mag mods that are 1, 2, 3 and 4 lux.. just decide how deep your pockets are or how practical you want to be (ie.. picking what will run from alkaline bats vs $100 LiON pack)