Newbie receives the L4 - UPDATED!!!

clays

Newly Enlightened
edited to add: new post down the thread a ways (second page I think) with an updated review!

I posted last week asking for some suggestions on a bright and small surefire LED light to be used as a first "nice bright light" for hiking, backpacking, and around the house. It would complement my wife's and my Infinity Ultras. Well, I received the chosen L4 this morning and it seems to be what some on this forum refer to as the "newest version" with the three rounded sides, one which has the clip against it, one that says "Surefire" and one that says "L4 Digital Lumamax". First impressions are good, but I have no basis for comparison other than a bunch of maglites, the infinity ultras, and numerous other "regular" lights of different sizes, shapes, and colors around the house and camp. On the outside, it looks good. No dings, scratches, or defects that I can find. The clip might point a tiny bit off center in one of the rounded edges, but I think it could be straightened easily enough. The clickie switch button works EXTREMELY smoothly and the lock out tailcap turns equally smoothly. It takes about a quarter turn to disable the button completely, an estimate. Nice. No problems there. Trying the beam in a fairly well lit room (now remember this is the first Surefire I've tried and the only LED I've tried aside from the Infinity Ultras), it looks to be a smooth and broad beam that looks pretty bright. I have to say that I will need to try this in a dark room or outside tonight because I think the lighting in my office as I first tried it after unpacking it leaves me with a little less "wow factor" than I expected to experience. One thing it does tell me though, is that I am VERY glad I did not go with something of less output! If this is 65 lumens, then yes indeed, 65 lumens is a good output, at least, to complement a long running mini light like the Ultras. I wanted something small, light, and bright to complement the long running Ultras, and I am hoping that tonight I will be able to prove to myself that I have found that light. The light against a fairly well lit white wall and some other objects in the lit room is extremely white light with no wierd rings or strange shapes like the maglites have, and it might give the hint of having ever so slight of a darker area in the very center when viewed about a yard away from a white wall, straight on, but you really have to try to find it to notice it. There is no strange coloring to this light. In the lit areas I have so far tried it in, the light seems to be white, not blue, not green, yellow, or anything else. Again, no basis for comparison at all that would be a fair "apples to apples" comparison.

Now, on the side of the bezel there is a white dot sticker. Is that supposed to mean something?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Newbie receives the L4 - First Impressions!!

LEDs need a room that is completely dark to give the "wow" factor.

The white sticker is just SF's method of identifying the color of the LED. For example, my yellow-green A2 came with a yellow-green sticker on the bezel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

You picked a fine light to start with. I actually prefer my L4 over my L2 and U2. I simply replaced the stock L4 tail cap with an Aleph two stage cap and I'm good to go with a general purpose light. The L2 and the U2 are long and large. The L2 won't take a 17650 rechargeable cell but the L4 will. For a general purpose use light I use the L4.

Wait until dark then you'll really enjoy the light.

wquiles

Flashaholic

Congrats on your new light. The L4 is very neat, and it becomes even better with the two-stage switch (10-15ohms worked best for mine).

The L4 will also run great on a single rechargable CR123 in the 1xcell body available by several here in the forums. That is actually what I EDC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You will see tonight how cool your new light is!

Will

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can use the L4 body with the KL1 head for less total output, but much more throw and run time. You should also be able to find an E2e head somewhere to make the equivalent of a Surefire E2e incandescent flashlight.

MrMom

Enlightened

Clay fine choice. The L4 is a beloved light around here. Many, myself included, spent $$$$$$ trying out several lower priced lights only to end up forking out fot the L4. Just think of all the $ you saved by going directly to the best.

BTW the Infinity Ultra and KL4 pair up well for your intended use, nice choice. Look into Pila batteries from JonnyB on CPF to feed that hungry Surefire.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
clays said:
it might give the hint of having ever so slight of a darker area in the very center when viewed about a yard away from a white wall, straight on, but you really have to try to find it to notice it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is refered to as the "donut hole". It is normal for 5 watt Luxeons.

I think your L4 will grow on you, especially if you get the Pila 168S rechargeable batteries. It's really nice to be able to use your light without being concerned about battery cost. The thing I like most about Pilas is that you can top off your battery and always have fresh batteries and not have to wonder how long your batteries will last.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Now you need a couple of Pila 168s from JSBurly's to go with your new L4. Can't wait 'till Christmas to get my L4!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Clays-

Now that you've had it a few days how about an update to your review?

GregR

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Now you need a couple of Pila 168s from JSBurly's to go with your new L4. Can't wait 'till Christmas to get my L4!

[/ QUOTE ]
You still haven't got one?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Clay, get the Pilas from Jon at Burleys like everyone says, it makes all the difference in the world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

clays

Newly Enlightened
Re: YIKES!

Hello! I am back to give my second impressions on my new L4, my first high end light! And, what a light it is! I have to say, during the day yesterday I flicked the thing on and off a lot (it is a cool toy isn't it?), but didn't really get the impressions that the little bugger was really that bright. It seemed nicely built and super small and all, but ehhh, I could imagine something being brighter, although, yes, bigger at the same time. So, for the evening last night is sat on the island in our kitchen until at the end of the evening when I decided to turn the flood lights off in the yard and take the dog out for a last bathroom break. Well!! Once out in the dark driveway, I hit the clickie on the little rascal and... WOW!!!!! Holy CRAP!! This is not a mini mag lite! To see if I was imagining things, I had to pull out the mini mag and try that. Ok, yup, there's a little of the rock wall over there, and ok, yeah.. I guess I can make out that that's a bush over there. Who knows what's over there across the street--I can't focus this twisting head thing enough to tell. Ok, mini-mag back in the pocket. L4 out again. Hit the clicker---YIKES!!! The massive amount of purely white light instantly spewing out of this freakish little thing is very quickly putting a big smile on my face! Where was all this light when I was playing with this thing during the day? I begin thinking that it's deceptive how powerful the L4 actually is. My wife spots the insane swaying flood of light from inside the dark house and comes to the window. I flash the light to the window and she covers her eyes instantly. Suddenly I realize, hey, this thing is nifty. All of a sudden I'm wondering how close my box of Surefire batteries are to arriving. And what was that, Pils, Pali, Pilas? Ok, enough lighting up the neighbors gardens, the street, and the unidentified dog poop over there across the yard. We'll deal with that tomorrow. And so, that's how the day ended, the first day with the L4. I like it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic

It is now too late - you have been bitten by the L4 bug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wait until you realize that you can use the KL4 head from your L4 in a 1xcell body with a rechargable CR123 cell.

Then, wait until you realize that you can replace the clicky switch with a two-level switch from McGizmo - then you will trully know how awesome little package the KL4 can be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will

Bob_G

Enlightened

Or, wait until you realize it's more of an indoor light than outdoor, me thinks. If you ever find yourself in a darkened indoor environment for an hour or so (my media room is always like that) that's the best time for self-freakoutishism with your new best friend.

clays

Newly Enlightened
L4 well tested and Surefire slow to ship batts....

Investigating the suggestions of many here who say rechargables are great in the L4, I became confused after finding the Pila's 168s which seems to be one battery for the L4 (double the length of a disposable 123) and also finding talk on this forum of rechargable R123's, that would seem to require 2 cells for the L4, like the disposables do. Which is better for the L4, the two recharchable 123's (which I don't know a source for or a charger for) or the one Pila 168s and charger from jsburlys? I'm guessing Pila.

P.S. Surefire has YET to ship out my box of batteries for my new light (batteries ordered a week ago), even though they claim they are in stock and each time I call them they promise that they'll ship that day. Never happens. Argggh... I guess I'll know to allow a lot of time if I ever need anything from Surefire. I believe my L4 might be close to getting hungry, too, and I don't feel a bit guilty about it. It's a fun toy. I just wish I had something to feed it.

SidewindR

Newly Enlightened
Re: L4 well tested and Surefire slow to ship batts....

how doesit compare to Nuwai series??

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: L4 well tested and Surefire slow to ship batts

Clays, use of rechargeable 123's is for a one cell body, or rechargeable 123 (RCR123) and a dummy 123 in a two cell light. KL4 (L4 head/circuit) does not like 8.4 volts that two RCR123's can put out. RCR123's have same voltage as single cell Pila 168S, which is often used in L4 (3.7-4.2 volts).

Bill

clays

Newly Enlightened
Re: L4 well tested and Surefire slow to ship batts

That's interesting. Thanks for the info. I take it Pila 168s is the best choice in rechargeables, then, for the L4. Good to know.