Gladius Flashlight

zipit

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I just found this place and I can't stop reading. I thought I was the only flashlight/torch lunatic out there. My questions are.

1. Can someone put these in order of brightness for me Inova T4, Gladius, Strion, Surefire p6

2. What is brighter the Gladius or Inova T4. Any beam shots I like that you can recharge the T4. Can you use regular batteries also?

3. What is everyone's top pick for brightest flashlight? you can give one LED and one incandescent. You can add a beam shot if you have it.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Can't necessarily compare the incans: 6P, Strion to the LED lights: T4, Gladius. The beams are drastically different.

2. The T4's optic will out throw a Gladius, but the Gladius has a nice "spill" type of corona in conjunction with a tight hotspot.
The T4 is rechargeable, only. The T5 is the non-rechargeable version of the T4.

3, I dunno...too many to list either way.

-dan

Lexus

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF zipit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

1. I have a Gladius and a Strion. The Strion has a higher lux reading, it throws better. But I like my Gladius more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I don't own a 6p or T4.

2. I agree with dano. The T4 has a brighter hot spot, throws farther but you don't have any side spill. I think the gladius puts out more light overall but it doesn't reach as far. Oh well...the old lux vs lumen thing again... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. If you consider the Thor a flashlight, then go for it. It's a spotlight, so it's rather bulky and heavy. If you prefer a "flashlight-sized" flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif you should have a look at the USL or Mag85, both are custom made lights.
If you want to go LED, you need a tiny light source, probably a luxIII (3W luxeon LED) and a large smooth reflector. This sounds like you want a mag modded with a luxIII. Another option is the Aleph series. You might want a luxIII in an Aleph 3 head with a DB917 and 60 ohm McE2S switch. Confused? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif There are sooo many options, I can't list them all.

mrandychen

Newly Enlightened
Many times it's not about brightness, but the beamshape and practicallity of it. I know there is a new light out that is very very small key chain light that put outs well over 80 lumens, but only has 15 minutes of runtime. I used to have a pile G3, but it was just TOO bright to use. I would turn it on in a dark room and would pretty much blind myself each time. Sometimes it's about finding that balance. Or you could go with a U2 or Gladius and have that "too bright" problem solved.

I would have to agree with Lexus, the Aleph series is amazing. I have the Aleph 1 head with LuxIII DB917 and 60 ohm. I love it, and it really wows people when I turn it on. The T4 is also very impressive for the price and how much it can throw. Lots to think about, good luck.