So what exactly is the benefit of a Lamp Assembly?

cslinger

Enlightened
So what benefits do "lamp assemblies" provide over a fixed reflector/bulb replacement. Take Surefire or Pentagon Light for example. They use a big bulky lamp and reflector assembly as the bulb replacement where say a Streamlight uses a small bulb.

Now I realize that Surefire has some beautiful beams but is that beam due to the whole assembly and if so is it really worth the extra bulk and cost over a fixed reflector/bulb replacement.

Personally I would prefer a small bulb with a backup on board the flashlight.

I am just curious as why that is the direction some manufacturers take.

Luna

Enlightened
Focus is set perfectly at the factory. That is it but that is why the Surefires have the best beams.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a MagCharger that I've used for years. It has a fixed (well, cammed) reflector and the bulb is a small bi-pin one with a spare in the tailcap. I've had to replace that bulb three times in the span I've owned the magcharger and it is a royal pain in the a$$ to get it centered and focusing well every time. Additionally the light has been whacked pretty hard a few times (drops, a couple of takedown situations, that sort of thing) and I almost always have had to re-allign that bulb again after such an encounter. (Don't misunderstand, I love that light and it's been a long trusted piece of equipment, it just has a few really annoying flaws). The worst was when I dropped it getting out of a patrol car (years back) and then had to do an alley sweep with a seriously off kilter beam because there was no time to pause and re-allign it (ugh).

On the other hand the fixed lamp assembly lights I've used (mosty Surefire) have had the same beam, every time, every assembly. Very predictable and very consistent. Not such a big deal now as a civilian, but VERY important when I was a cop.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
cslinger,

What was said above.

Plus, I should point out that the MN ype series lamp assemblies, such as for the M3, M3T, M4, and M6, as well as for the E1, E2, A2, etc., are not a reflector/lamp combination, but rather are lamps potted into a holder of some kind, which holder is in precise geometrical relation to the reflector.

This is the ONLY way to guarantee a good beam with every lamp and throughout the life of any given lamp.

And you CAN carry extra lamp assemblies in one of the SF spares carriers, for example, although I admit that this isn't as convenient as having a spare lamp in the tailcap of the light.

There are always tradeoffs, and not everyone has the same priorities or concerns so not everyone will agree as to what the "best" solution is. For myself, I love fixed focus beams, with some sort of pre-centered, pre-focused assembly, so that you just install a lamp plus its associated components, and you are good to go. I also hate the Mag Charger centering procedure. There are plenty of things to like about that light, but THAT certainly isn't one of them.

In a previous thread in this forum, there was someone who was saying that SureFire LA's were made that way simply to fleece us of more money, and that they could have just as good a beam with some type of pedestal socket/bare lamp arrangement. It is my considered, informed opinion, that this is not true. Holding a lamp by its leads is inherently unstable in use over the long-term, and does not yield any kind of precise relationship to the filament itself, which is what needs to be aligned and focused.

But, in any case, not everyone places such a high priority on beam quality and centered hotspots, so YMMV.

cslinger

Enlightened
That is about what I thought.

As to Surefire just doing it to make more money that is very doubtful as the materials and production complexity of an assembly is much more costly then a bulb and being we are talking about the SUREFIRE name they could have gone with a bulb and marketed as some super duper SUREFIRE bulb and still charge use $20 bucks that we would happily pay.

I really believe Surefire as a company does design and build their tools for specific non cost oriented reasons. I really think they take their military/LEO contracts very seriously as far as the safety of the end user is concerned. Although expensive I really do believe that at least put out a very good product for the money.

Chris

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate bi-pin bulbs. Havint to center them in order to hot have a wierd shaped beam, or one that is off center is a pain. They can also come lose if you drop a light bezel down. They are convenient to carry a spare, but then you risk losing your batteries in the dark, and your light is totally taken apart. I prefer the MN style of bulbs that SureFire uses. I like some of the lights that use bi-pin bulbs, MagCharger, Stinger, Scorpion, but that little bulb has some annoying issues.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lamp assemblies are great because you can get mods for the light. For example the BOG 3W mod for G2, 6p, Pm6..ect.

-David