Surefire E2L

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased an E1L a while back (about a month.) In my white wall testing, the new KL1's throw a lot of light out in terms of size, but its a concentrated beam and its not perfect. Its a fairly ringy beam with a bright hot spot.

I took off the KL1 head and put it onto my E2e which makes it similar to the E2L, minus the long clip and I have a LOTC tailcap vs. clicky.

My opinions would be like this

Pro - good run time and good throw, nice size, doesn't blow like incandescents

Con - ringy beam, Surefire neeeds to improve QC on LEDs, I've seen some really bad coloring on some SF LED lights (L4's, U2's, L2's, KL1's....) Luxeon lotteryI guess.

www.flashlightreviews.com is where I go and do a lot of reading.

Jason

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
same here, GREAT RUNTIME! And good throw.

-David

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pro:

Bright, small, tough, regulated. You can run it on Pila 168S rechargeable batteries without any loss of brightness. Adding a KL4 or an E2e head to the body is an option.

Con:

No sidespill. The beam has some artifacts and tint gradients. Light output doesn't match the E2e incandescent, although the KL1 puts up a good fight in terms of throw.

Gimmy

Newly Enlightened
My favorite pocket light was the L4 but now is the E2L with McE2S (60ohm). Why? Well, every night before I go to sleep I would go outside to catch a smoke and to play with my flashlights of course. My favorate things to do is to shine the light into the woods across the street. I can see inside the woods with the e2e, e2l, c2, and even maglights but I can never see much with the L4. I still love my L4 but I think the e2l is more useful.

Cons: The E2l has this really annoying ring outside of the main beam. My Steamlight Jr Luxeon has a better beam than that, it really bugs me.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF, Gimmy. I can see by the lights you already own that you are well prepared to make good use of this forum.

The KL1 beam's single, thin, ring seems to be well out from the hot spot and doesn't interfere like a series of larger rings that some lights have. I'm judging from the E1L that I had for two weeks before losing it down a drain - was mine typical? I haven't seen an SL Jr. but even if it's ringless, does it throw as far as the KL1?

One last question, Gimmy, whatcha smokin' for your late night respite? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Glad to have you here and don't be a stranger - especially stranger than some of us (not ME!) are. Later, Dude. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, just got my 1st E2L in the mail (I actually have a 2d en route---too good a deal to pass on---so you'll probably see it in B/S/T soon). Inital impressions very good. This is my 1st SF, and I'm surprised at how small it is. Beautiful form factor, and I think I'm gonna like the clip.

It's daytime, so my beam testing is limited, but so far so good. I don't notice much of the "ringiness" some spoke of, but maybe I will tonight. Looks like the spot is considerably brighter than my SL Jr. Lux.

I was looking for a small, well-built medium distance personal throw light, to be the companion to my pocket "walking around" spill light, a TnC KeyLux AA, modded by bajaiman with a 3w TWOH emitter, and I am hopeful that I've found it.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Gimmy

Newly Enlightened
jayflash

Thank you, I am happy to be here. I usually smokes Marlboro Lights, sometimes Camel, that is it..honest. As AFAustin mentioned the E2L definitely is brighter and throw farther than SL Jr. Lux. I was just comparing the beam pattern since they are both collimator-type lens.

AFAustin - happy to hear that you like yours too.

Surefire's web site does not have the e2l yet but they do sell them and with 25% discount for mil./LEO psnl.