Some HDS Basic 60 thoughts.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all a huge thank you to Batterystation for making this possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Remember: Support your dealers even if it means paying a little bit more than rock bottom price - yes, I have done that in the past and will do it again - so that your dealers will be there for you when you need them most. They too have to make a profit so that they can stick around.

Now, with the commercial break over.. my thoughts on the HDS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

What can I say, awesome. You guys probably know me and my taste for Surefire lights by now, with nine of them, that's more SF than any other brand of light I own. I own the L1 LumaMax (with KL1-4thgen optic) as well, which is their 1-cell variable power light and something that would be close enough to be comparable to the HDS. But the L1 has some serious, serious competition in its price bracket if you think about the Basic 42 at $125 (MSRP), same as the L1's MSRP.

My thoughts are based on the 60, since I got that, but the 42 has its virtues as well - for one, longer runtime. HDS's site says 80+ minutes on primary lithiums, which is substantially better than the 30+ minutes for the Basic 60.

Though I must say I really like 60 lumens - at full blast this light even gives my U2 a run for its money! Admittedly I can't do full pack discharges at full blast the way I use my U2, but it's very impressive. It's almost as bright as my level 5 (on an exceptionally bright U2 to begin with).

hds3.jpg

The interface is simple enough for my fish net of a mind to grasp. Why a fish net... well, lots of stuff goes in and straight out, occasionally something sticks. It is as easy to use as they make it out to be and the 4 brightness levels are very well thought out. Initially I dismissed 10 lumens as 'a bit too little' preferring at least 20, but in the field it is far more useable than I assumed. Besides, holding down the switch gives me an instant 60 lumens.

Runtime is the HDS's best part. On non-retina-searing levels, runtime is amazing. I could use the lowest level as a nightlight. The 2-lumen second lowest level is directly equivalent to the SF L1's low level. L1 is brighter vs 3rd level (10 lumens), but obviously, full blast STOMPS the L1 flat. That's a one-cell HOLA if there ever was one.

The SF F04 beamshaper fits. nuff said.. for those moments where you must have a diffuse light.

hds1.jpg

hds2.jpg

The HDS's reflector beam does have a little bit of a slightly dark center, but this will only annoy the donut hunters and whitewall hunters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif My U2 has a donut too if I care to look for it on a white wall but this does not detract from the light's useability in the field.

Beam pattern closely matches the SO17XA reflector (IMO). Little bit tighter than the SO17XA. Great beam, metal reflector, and the moment I looked into the light's front end for the first time I saw the trademark green reflection of the UCL's AR/AG coating. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Clip.. enuff said, I am waiting to get screwed by AWTYD. THANKS DAD!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HDS already knows this so I won't say too much other than the clip is an imperfect companion to the IMPECCABLE finish of the light. The knurling is much less aggressive than SF's knurling, it reminds me of the smoothness of the Arc AA I handled recently. Note the AA and the AAA's finishes are very different, I was surprised by it (only own the AAA).

In this department I must say that SF's clip is better. I really like the E1e's clip. (personal preference)

But then again I found the perfect carry solution for the HDS anyway. The HDS is around the size of the E1e+KL1, heavier, but still fits perfectly:

hds4.jpg

hds5.jpg

The SAK holster wins yet again.. this is a holster from one of their smaller Tinker knives, but it works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Of course, the CountyComm belt of last resort is nice, too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Review? IMO those are some random mumblings and a lucky discovery involving a carry solution rather than a structured review. I figured the HDS has been covered well enough by many others before me.

Still, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif and glad you guys found it useful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dtsoll

Enlightened
Great observations Kevin, IMO only, these lights are the cream of the crop, king of the hill, best thing going, right now!!!! These things are absolutely perfect for how I use and carry (in my pocket) a flashlight!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Great write-up ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Seems like a really nice light, this one. it is the one without an accessible menu, right?
bernie

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, only the Ultimate series has the menu. The Basic has the 4 levels of light, that's it.

I love my U2, but that's a light in the two-cell LuxV category.

The HDS rules the 1-cell Lux3 category. It'll be even more useful when I get the AA holder and the 18650 holder - as a bonus, the 18650 holder can probably double as a 2xCR123 holder with a little bit of padding. No redundancy as the HDS is a Lux3 and the U2 is a LuxV.

Plus the AA holder will give us what a really cool variable output AA-powered light - there's not really much in the way of tube-shaped AA flashlights with adjustable power. Can't wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say you got your money's worth!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Nice review, Mr. Modest!

I hope someone does a HDS 60 comparison with a LionHeart. They seem like a close match as far as what comes out of the front.

Kevin - in the first beamshot, how far away from the wall were the lights? I'm guessing 1m...?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Yup, sure did. Hope someone downstream benefits from the $$ and the other goodies I sent though. Where they are is a much darker place, no doubt. (literally and figuratively)

The beamshot.. 1ft actually! But I shoot close to the lights to fill the whole image with the beamshot. Might as well make good use of the pixels. Then I discard the pixels anyway by resizing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't have a Lionheart but I've taken one for a test drive and noted it uses the SO27XA reflector. They're on completely different ends of the flood/throw spectrum. Hmm.. HDS 60 vs LionCub? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my basic everytime I go out the door or bus day and night.I won't be without it. It's that kinda light.

I too feel it's tip top of the EDC lights. There is no better all around package imho. VDG

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like KevinL, I own a slew of SF and other deluxe LED lights. I have had my EDC 60GT for a month or so now and have to agree with him totally. I would like to see some type of snap clip with a much stronger grip as an option. For now I carry mine with the screws in, no clip in my Levi blue jean's change pocket at work and around all the time. That little change pocket has a tight hold on the EDC so it will not fall out but the head sticks up and out see its easy to pull out when needed. I found one of my nylon holders that came free with a $5 el cheapo hong kong mdxl 1 light works quite well for a belt holder with or without the clip on. The blue jean coin pocket also works good both ways. Having the multipower is very functional as well. We faced off the bright 60 lumen off against a more pricey LionHeart and Groovy prototype which are top notch mini LED lights and the EDC was noticably stronger at distance. Also its smaller and smoother. The Basic switch functions are simple enough as well and suite me fine. The EDC has replaced my QIII as my primary EDC. The QIII clip is better though at holding the light on the bill of a baseball cap converting it instantly to a headlamp. The EDC being heavier and having smoother knurling does not hold on quite as well to ball cap but still works. The flat switch is all but impossible to activate accidentally. Best pocket light to date IMHO.

Bob_Ulhedd

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:The SAK holster wins yet again.. this is a holster from one of their smaller Tinker knives, but it works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Thank You KevinL for the tip regarding the Swiss Army Knife Holster. My EDC Ultimate 60 fits great in my Victorinox Cordura Belt Sheath. I purchased this sheath from eknifeworks.com. It is item number V33214.

luxlover

Banned
Garageboy,
Now you're talking about the true essence of the Ultimate series. The light can do just about everything for you except tie your shoelaces. Ultimate lights protect us from ourselves.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will say what I said on another thread in brief,
I feel the HDS is the pinnicle of EDC light's. some custom's may have more throw or be brighter, or machined near or as good, or be prettier to some, but no other light
Has the kind of harmonious integration of all factor's of "best of the best" light's like the HDS. Esp, in build quality and electronic Excellence and stability. nuff said. VDG

*Retired*
KevinL said:
The HDS's reflector beam does have a little bit of a slightly dark center, but this will only annoy the donut hunters and whitewall hunters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif My U2 has a donut too if I care to look for it on a white wall but this does not detract from the light's useability in the field.

Beam pattern closely matches the SO17XA reflector (IMO). Little bit tighter than the SO17XA. Great beam, metal reflector, and the moment I looked into the light's front end for the first time I saw the trademark green reflection of the UCL's AR/AG coating. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Do you know if all the HDS lights have this donut? I don't recall it on the old ARC4.

JimmyB

Enlightened
NewBie said:
Do you know if all the HDS lights have this donut? I don't recall it on the old ARC4.

Are you just strolling down memory lane tonight? This is another one you dug up, LOL. Well, if anyone's entitled it's you. Thanks for all the work you do here!

To answer your question, no not all HDS lights exhibit this. I've had up to four different HDS lights in my possesion and none had a dark center. My U60XRGT actually has one of the nicest, smoothest beams of any light I own. This has always seemed odd to me since the reflector is a smooth, non-orange peel/stippled type.

Last edited:

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
I Love the clip on the HDS. It is probably the best on any light I own. The Surefire long clip is probably a very close second. The short Surefire clip is totally and completely worthless.

I use it on a 1.5" belt and it is perfect.

I'm always surprised when people say they don't like it.

How are you using it? Why don't you like it?

wmirag

Enlightened
> NewBie: Do you know if all the HDS lights have this donut?

The doughnut is a common "feature" in 5 watt LEDs, like my SF-L2.
The HDS uses a 3 watt LED which produces no doughnut hole EXCEPT for a very few in the early production that had a tiny hole when focused on something a very few inches away.

W.