why did Surefire stop 3P production?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I'll bet there are a bunch of people looking for a single cell body to put the upcoming KL3 on. The 3P would have been a good option, but it is no longer being produced. The only option is the E1E with an E to C adaptor. Why did they stop 3p production?

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably because the E1e is smaller, brighter and better.

The new KL3 is unlikely to be a good candidate for single cell operation because it runs on a buck converter where input voltage must exceed LED Vf. This is not possible with a single CR123 as white Lux3s are typically above 3V.

Rechargeable 123s are not an officially supported option and thus would not be considered in the design criteria.

Besides, if you wanted the performance of the new KL3 on a single cell body there is always the E1L.

Size15's

Flashaholic
KevinL makes good points.

The 3P was superseded by the E1 which was superseded by the E1e which now has an LED brother - the E1L.

The KL3 and KL5 are designed for two SF123A batteries.
Both can also be used on the C3.

Unless otherwise specified SureFire's are designed for SF123A batteries and not "Rechargeable 123A" batteries.

Al

McGizmo

Flashaholic
What KevinL and Al said. In addition, I recall PK once telling me that incans just weren't that great or efficient with single 123 cells and 3 volts. I think the E1e is impressive given its brightness to size but the 3P was not. I expect the E1L to eventually surpass the E1e in consumer demand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

AW

Newly Enlightened
The new KL3 runs perfectly with full regulation on a single R123.

NewKL31.jpg

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, that is a beauty. Can we get a beamshot VS 2x123?

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone get me a pic of an E1E with an E to C adaptor and a new kl3 or kl5?

-David

AW

Newly Enlightened
Beamshot taken indoor during day time. Left is HDS Basic 60 on high ( level 1), right is KL3/3P running on 1 R123.

NewKL34.jpg

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
AW, that is interesting. Should run for awhile with RCR123's. BTW the 3P is still listed in dealer wholesale books.

Bill

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm, that is weird, the kl3 shouldnt have any sidespill, It shows sidespill on that pic.

-David

Size15's

Flashaholic
David,
Shouldn't it?
Or perhaps the one you have doesn't?

May be SureFire are sending out a variety of different options for evaluation prior to release?

May be some people who have access to KL3's would check whether it is appropriate to be discussing their KL3 on CPF. Maybe their KL3 doesn't even have a Luxeon in it?!

SolarFlare

Enlightened
freedom of speech /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif are you the Protective Squadron (Schutzstaffel) for surefire? It's released to be reviewed and commented on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and you don't send out "varieties" you send out what you sell!!!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Whatever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
It appears you know more about what SureFire do and do not then I've experienced over the last few years.

Shutting somebody up works best if you don't alert everybody - it's easier to contain if nobody realises you're doing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
So I'm obviously not doing that here.

The thing is that unless you are sent one specifically for review then you do not know for certain it is the version SureFire intend to release.

Craig and Doug have been sent new KL3's for review. As for anybody else then who's to say quite what they've got?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

SolarFlare

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
Whatever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
It appears you know more about what SureFire do and do not then I've experienced over the last few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't patronise me. I'm sure they rushed out and fabricated a replica of the KL3 head an just plonked a random emitter in it! and then decided to make it look better than it might be? did they? you tell me, you surefire eficionado you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember some people saying it is because the stock 3P was inefficient, not bright enough, and ate away at batteries like a... something that gets hungry easily and doesnt give much back in return.

Size15's

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
SolarFlare said:
...It's released to be reviewed and commented on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and you don't send out "varieties" you send out what you sell!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have plenty of examples of things I've been sent and seen by SureFire that are "varieties" and variations on their products that they never intend to sell.

I'm not saying that the one "AW" has is a fake - just that he may want to check whether it's okay to discuss it in public or not in case it isn't a production sample.

People here on CPF want information on SureFire's new products. I've learnt what happens when they get the wrong information, or information that turns out to be different by the time a product is released. They get bitterly disappointed.

It's highly likely that "AW" did get a normal KL3 and that it's beam is commensurate with the KL3 released but wouldn't it be great to know for certain before you discuss it in public?

Al

My guess is simply that the E Series made the P Series obsolete. The 6P stayed in production primarily due to ongoing demand from police departments, but also because it and its predecessors are the elder statesmen of the Surefire line. I hear that Surefire is currently offering a limited re-release of the awesome 9P.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
It would be great yes! but AW isn't you! the KL3 is due imminently (alledgedly). You might be in the "special" circle for surefire products. The KL3 appears to be beyond that point and is now open to be discussed as a "product", therefore it would be bad practice to circulate an example that is not true to the production KL3.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Back on the subject of the 3P - SureFire offered the 3P as a more compact version of their 6P but also as a more compact (shorter) version of their handgun WeaponLight. I suspect that the majority of use of the R30 was for the handgun WeaponLights.

When SureFire released they could shrink their standard flashlight they decided to use more modern bulb technology to create bulbs with longer runtime and whiter output.

Don and Steve must be right - the 3P was neither powerful enough, nor practical enough to justify it's "bulk" (strange to call it bulky but compared to the E1(e) and all the tiny flashlight we have today it is!)

Al

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really didnt want to get into the little tumble, but I had to comment. I noticed in the beamshot, the wall looked a lot like those marble-like kinds. Dont those absorb light and kinda spread it out? I have placed down lights on coffee tables of this material while turned on, and there was a glow around the bezel even though there are no crenelations on the bezel or anything and the table was flat. Hope this is understandable.