Argh! No more quality darkness up here

JanCPF

Enlightened
Dawn from 3:00 am until Sunup at 4:30 am. Sunset at 10:00 pm and dusk until about 1:00 am. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Of course I could always set the alarm clock to wake me up at 2:00 am to play with some flashlights. Oh well - I guess I will be doing other stuff for a couple of month now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes I know - you guys in Norway are even worse off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Jan

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
atleast you put in the Norway clause...lol

I was gonna say stop your whining about no sun were even worse off here in Norway. heck I whine about it and then MorpheusT1 pipes in and reminds me that he lives way way way up north in Norway where sunsets are a thing for Mythology and childrens stories..lol

you can always do what I do pretend to be working down in the basement or garage with your handy dandy flashlight (of your choice)

Doug

Geologist

Enlightened
It is daylight here until ~10 pm with dusk afterwards. Not as severe but nonetheless frustrating to have warm? weather and not a lot of darkness. One relief is that one of the old buildings has a HUGE full length attic (~50m) that has no lights in it. Great for doing "controlled testing" lol

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Sounds like "my corner of the globe"! Here's our longest & shortest days of daylight (and yes we're talking a few hours of "dusk" after sunset for the summer. In the winter we're lacking on the sunshine during those daylight hours, our days are more like "dusk"):

Month..... <font color="green">Sunrise</font>... <font color="red">Sunset</font>..... <font color="blue">Hours of daylight</font>
June....... <font color="green">4:21 a.m.</font> <font color="red">11:42 p.m.</font> <font color="blue">19:21</font>
December <font color="green">10:14 a.m.</font> <font color="red">3:42 p.m.</font> <font color="blue">5:28</font>

The hours are even more extreme the further north one goes!

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman, I live at the same latitude as Anchorage, so I guess I have about the same numbers as you. Only heavily clouded weather from 1 am to 2 am makes it possible to test flashlights outdoors. One week to go and it starts to get darker again.

Sigbjoern

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
you got that right Sigbjoern!!!! the longest day is running to us and the darkness is following right behind it. 5min a day can't wait!!!!

doug (Oslo)

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the plus side, you probably have a few flashlights that will run all night (for at least part of the year). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was up a little farther north for about a week one summer about 15 years ago. It was so strange to not see the sun set at all - it just circled overhead.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
ANd I thought I had it bad with only 7-8 hours of darkness! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Sorry guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Makarov

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chimo said:
On the plus side, you probably have a few flashlights that will run all night (for at least part of the year). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He he, the problem is the differences, in the winter, there's some light at noon that you only can refere to as "dusk", and in the summer you can sunbathe at midnight...

When I served at the Russian border I got both conditions in half a year, screwed you up real good when you added the fact that you worked shifts as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quality dark is actually useful for other things too - like sleeping. I can't imagine NOT having quality dark, it's just wrong. No lights and no sleep. Sounds like Hell on Earth...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I live in a temperate latitude and have a different problem - for any given square mile (or kilometer) in this suburban jungle, there are literally megawatts of power being put into high-pressure sodium, mercury, and metal-halide lighting.

With all the humidity, dust, and pollution in the air, it goes everywhere as well. It seems like it can go around corners a little bit.

What's really amazing are the parking lot lights left burning during the ~8 hours of night that most businessed aren't open. It's great if you like to watch for bats, but little else.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I hate winter darkness...I enter into hibernation mode and want to sleep for 12-14 hours (of course I have to force myself out of bed and then I'm sleepy for a long time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif)

but I've never experienced 20 hours of daylight yet. Must be a bi... trying to sleep. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same problem as Idle. I also don't have a car.

I found some truly gargantuan buildings with unobstructed open space inside them down at the wharves and I can usually find one with its huge doors open when I need to test a light. Got to make any testing quick. Shining bright lights around the docks could attract a lot of official attention these days.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
Lurveleven said:
Sigman, I live at the same latitude as Anchorage, so I guess I have about the same numbers as you. Only heavily clouded weather from 1 am to 2 am makes it possible to test flashlights outdoors. One week to go and it starts to get darker again.

Sigbjoern

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, what a bummer - we're just barely into Summer and don't you know it - Winter's on the way, right around the corner.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys that just posted from the northern climes, what is your weather like this time of year? Do you have real summers? (Daytime highs at least 70 degrees F).

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The weather has not been really good lately, we actually had a day of snow exactly one month ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
The last month the temperature has been between 33 and 60 degrees F (average 50).
August is usually the hottest month around here.

Sigbjoern

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Nice little link to "June's weather" calendar for Anchorage, Alaska.

We've got some snow on top of the mountains still...folks are still skiing/snowboarding just south of Anchorage at Mt. Alyeska (up top). Was in the mid 70's today - that's a bit warm for us! I've seen it hotter and certainly cooler!

The first runs of red and king salmon into the local rivers are starting out with some heavy numbers!!