Why don't they make 141000 Li-ION???

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don\'t they make 141000 Li-ION???

Here is the next Lithium Ion battery I wish SOMEONE would make:

14 mm X 100mm . (AA diameter, X 2 AA length) with about a 2000 or 2200 + mah, 3.6V capacity. Should be plenty of room for that amount of capacity AND a protection circuit.

Wouldn't that make a perfect battery for easy, direct drive mods of the millions of existing 2AA flashlights out there?

I'd gladly pay three, maybe four or even five times as much for that as for a couple of 14500s.

A couple of 5mm leds would run a LONG time on that and even a Luxeon III would get decent runtime.

Anyone have contacts at a Li-ION battery manufacturer?

I don't know enough about it to say for sure, but I wouldn't think it would be a major re-tooling or R&D cost to produce them. Bet we could put together a group buy of at least 500 of the first ones off the line right here.

I'd be glad to pull out the credit card to buy a hundred myself.

Just an idea. Feel free to flame away.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Re: Why don\'t they make 141000 Li-ION???

Most manufacturer will be happy to make that for you if you can order at least 5,000 to 10,000 pcs.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks AW..

I just don't have the $100,000 or so to spare for that project myself!

Group buy anyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS: AW are you still selling those protected R123s & chargers? I probably ought to order one and several extra batteries if you are... I like the ones I got from somewhere else, but I'm kind of nervous about running them unprotected.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

""Group buy anyone ""

i will take 1 if it helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AW

Newly Enlightened

Silviron,

Yes. I still have some in stock. Please click my signature line.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

i'll take 2 if can help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(btw is a really good idea...)

p.s.
and why not we don't self made a battery pack with 2 14500 in parallel thanks wires?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will take 1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... have 1 MmAG

no it wont be a good idea to have 2 li-ion in parallel

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awww heck, I'll take two.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. OK, now we are up to 5, Anyone else???

Jeff

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

umm may be i will add one more.. if the price is right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

that makes 6 .... Come on guys.. no kidding... we can make it.... there are almost 10,000 users... and atleast 50% have 2AA MmAG Light to be modded...

may be AW can ask Manufacturer for "Sample" Quantity .... of may be like 100 - 200 batteries...

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

davide ... If they are unprotected cells... then there is a High Risk of "Reverse" charging the other cell .... which will be Very Very Dangerous...

Li-Ions... (unprotected) are very dangerous.. both in Series & Parallel.....

AW

Newly Enlightened

ViReN,

The manufacturer simply won't do anything unless they believe there is a market for them or you are ordering enough for them to make a profit. I did a lot of talking before they even consider the protected 14500.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif well .....

I have now been able to make a Solid Aluminium "Dummy" AA cell for my future mag DD mod...

Just waiting for the Protected 14500 Cells /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

however, whenever in future if Ptoctected 141000 Li-ION...is available.. i will be getting this one from you too....

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would much rather have a protected 25500 cell (i.e. C size) to use in Mag C. Should have 2900 mAh capacity if same energy density as 18650 cell.

Sigbjoern

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Just some speculation. A 141000 may present some major challenges in producing the main casing. The casings are made by a process called deep-drawing, which usually starts with sheet stock. Drawing to that depth/diameter ratio may require multiple draws with intermediate anneals, and yield issues. The potential market for such a cell would need to be large enough to justify the development and tooling costs. Just some speculation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Larry

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

build one... take a couple 14500s.. use the same strap 'they' use to get the power up the side wire them in parallel.. put a 'one cell' protection ckt on the parallel 'bank' and shrink wrap the whole thing... the ckt will add about 4mm to the length so you'll have a 141040 battery.. it would make a HELL of a runtime 2AA size light. if the fit is tight in your AA light... remove the shrink wrap on the bare cells before you start, but of course.. pay attention to the strap, how it's insulated.. maybe better leave the original shrink wrap on.. use think shrink wrap around to keep the whole thing together.

-awr

Ctechlite

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lurveleven said:
I would much rather have a protected 25500 cell (i.e. C size) to use in Mag C. Should have 2900 mAh capacity if same energy density as 18650 cell.

Sigbjoern

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, agree on this one 100%

AW

Newly Enlightened

How about some SONY 26650 unprotected ?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing that would have to be considered is safety. A 141000 would be long but slender. If the walls were not suitably thick, there could be an issue with flexing that could cause some mechanical damage and risk "rapid deconstruction". The flex issue could come into play if the batteries were not suitably protected during storage.

Paul

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
AW said:
How about some SONY 26650 unprotected ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are too thick to fit in a Mag C body. A direct replacement for standard C size batteries is the ultimate dream battery for me now.
Will you be able to get those Sony cells made protected? And what are their specification? I guess a custom size body can be made to use them. But they then need some extra properties to justify the extra cost of a custom body, i.e. extra capacity and ability to supply higher current.

Sigbjoern