D cell lights

The_virus

Enlightened
A lot of attention is paid by us flashaholics to 123A as well as AA and AAA lights. Not nearly as much discussion is about larger C and D cell lights. I'd just like to get the ball rolling as to some of the best choices out there when it comes to some of the larger lights.

Personally, I prefer D cells over C. C and D are pretty close in size, and for the extra diameter D cells carry twice as much energy, correct? Anyway, I figure if you're going to have a fist full of light you might as well go all out for the larger size.

So far all I have is a 4 and a 6 D cell Maglite, and an Energizer flashlight which converts to a lantern and has an orange nightlight LED running off 4 D cells. I'm getting a Lightwave Pro 4000 very soon and a Lightwave Infiniton D1 at the same time. The 4000 for its ridiculous runtime, and the Infiniton for its bright output and good runtime. I'd be all over a Lumaray FL6 if only they had a D cell version.

Any other exceptional D cell lights out there?

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
The Blaster III from elektrolumens is a great light and so is the Tri-Star Phazer (C batteries) also from Elektrolumens. But when it comes to homemade modified D flashlights like Maglites the sky is the limit.

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
I have an Elektrolumens Blaster 3P and I love it. The light output makes a "Stock" Maglight look sick. I fought the lithium powered lights for years because I did not want to deal with the hard to find, expensive, "weird" little batteries. After several situations where I absolutely needed a flashlight and all my "D" cell Mag's were dead, regardless of my attempts to keep the batteries up, I made the switch. I actually carry a SF U2 and keep my EL Blaster around for longer runtimes. I think both have their strong points but for your go to gotta work light I like the long shelf life of the CR123 lithiums. IMHO of course

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglites are currently my only choice for C/D cell lights.

I tried the EL lights (have had over a dozen of them), and they gave me more problems (some serious) than any other manufacture.

The_virus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BIGD said:
I have an Elektrolumens Blaster 3P and I love it. The light output makes a "Stock" Maglight look sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the 3P outshine a larger stock Mag like a 6 cell, or are you comparing it to a 3 cell D Mag? I also wonder about throw, I'd like to see some good D cell luxeons go against a 6 D Mag in a distance comparison. I choose the 6 D Mag because it's pretty much the best Mag has to offer as far as brightness goes. If a luxeon can rival a 6 cell, it would obviously outdo a smaller 2 D for example.

I'm impressed that the Blaster series has focussing beams though, if they can't outthrow a larger incan Mag, at least they'd provide nice even flood with no ugly artifacts in your beam!

greenLED

Flashaholic
My 4D Mag remains my favorite BIG light. It's still unmodded (it's my baby! :p) and showing some signs of aging. I like it because of the looooong runtime and brightness over the smaller D lights.

I have a 3D Mag in the car (slightly modded to work off 4C, overdriving the 3-cell bulb). I'm not even sure why I got a 3 cell Mag when I like lights that use batts in pairs. Oh, well... I've been eyeing that one for a Lux mod of some kind, but I think I like the form factor of a 2D a bit better for that (but then I'd be using 8xAA or something like that, so that might not count for this discussion).

I must say that I prefer D lights over C-sized, especially in Mags... something about the form-factor of a C-celled light that doesn't click with me.

Skibane

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I prefer D cells over C. C and D are pretty close in size, and for the extra diameter D cells carry twice as much energy, correct? Anyway, I figure if you're going to have a fist full of light you might as well go all out for the larger size.

[/ QUOTE ]

By going to larger batteries, you can either have a brighter light or longer run-time. Most folks seem to consider several hours to be acceptable run-time for a flashlight, and thus consider C- or D-cell lights to be advantageous only because of their ability to shine brighter.

With increasing brightness comes increasing cost: A flashlight with AA or CR123 cells and one 3-watt Luxeon might cost $30, while a flashight with C or D cells and three or four 3-watt Luxeons might cost $150+. In both cases, the run-time is roughly the same, but the difference in cost is huge...which is why there isn't nearly as much interest in the latter.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The 3D Maglight is a favorite for modding to LED - direct-drive or slightly resistored. 3 cells is a good voltage - a nominal 3.6V or so with alkalines, NiMH, or NiCd.

VWTim

Enlightened
Just did a 2D Mag light with one of Modamags PTS, uses 3 Lux 3's, and I'm running it on 3C batteries. I have less than $100 into the light, counting the initial purchase of the mag and batteries. It's my favorite light so far, I even like it more than my Mag74.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had D Cell LED lights for a while, I like the extra runtime they deliver and the feel of something solid in my hand. I love my Blasters and my Promagnum.

javafool

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TORCH_BOY said:
I have had D Cell LED lights for a while, I like the extra runtime they deliver and the feel of something solid in my hand. I love my Blasters and my Promagnum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% with TORCH_BOY on this one. The Blaster 3P is fairly bright, uses 3 'D' batteries and runs a long time on a set of batteries. EL also has the Hyper-Blaster 1W regulated for $29.95 for pre-order and I already have 3 of these flashlights at home. It uses 2 'D' batteries and just keeps going and going and ... These flashlights were outstanding performers after last years hurricanes and extended power outages.
The Promagnum is even brighter and another excellent light. I added a difussion lens from flashlightlens.com and it helped the quality of the beam considerably.

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
In comparing the beam of the EL 3P to a "stock" Maglight I was indeed talking about my 3D Cell Mag's as well as a 3C Mag for fun. The Elektrolumens 3P puts out a nice soft white circle of light (not perfect but not bad either). The Mag puts out a yellowish blob of light that looks like a distant universe or something. I think the 3P throws about the same as these 3 Cell bodies do. I think the Mag bodies are a great start to a good light but in their stock form are not that great once you have seen some other options. The 6D Cell Mags are great for throw but if I wanted that kind of throw in a package that big I think I would look at a rechargable spotlight. Overall I like the Maglight but I would have to do something about the "stock" bulb and reflector in the way of an upgrade before I relied on one. What about the Elektrolumens Tesla-6 in a 3D body running on 9AA's? Anyone have this setup? I'd like to hear more about that...

h_nu

Enlightened
I thought I should have flashlights that run on different battery types just so whatever is available in an emergency can power my light. For D size, I just dropped an Epeion LED into a Garrity G-Tech. I also have an EverLED in a 4 AA light. But haven't bothered to try it in a D size flashlight.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to prefer D cells lights for their better battery value because C cells cost the same and AAs almost as much for a fraction of the D's capacity. As battery chemistry improved I gravitated to Cs then AAs and CR123 cell lights. The alkaline AA of today seems to have the capacity of the Ds from the 1970's.

Now I'm less willing to take a large light unless it's a "mission carry" where I know I'll need hours of dependable light. I have D cells in all my lanterns and they are perfect for that use. I keep D cell lights around the house, garage and car but no longer use them outside of a "mission". 3C, plastic, xenons have replaced the 2D & 3D heavy metals I used to use.

D cells are a good value and rechargeable Ds are great in lanterns or in a Tigerlight, M^g etc. for when the light serves dual duty as an "enforcer".

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the D cell Mags are winners. Great bang for the buck, excellent build quality, outstanding throw, and decent runtime, all at a very reasonable cost. I have many of them. My current favorite is a Mag 3D modded with a LUX III by 3rd Shift. (Thanks, Stephen!) Seemingly perfect white output with throw thats just barely shy of a Mag with a Xenon bulb. It's my "go-to" light when I need a light outdoors.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I still make these magmods.
Glad you like it Big Ed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For my security guard coworkers, the D cell lights are the champs.
Even when the batteries are almost gone, the D cell types always seem to still have some power left in reserve to make it through until the next payday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I EDC AA NimH. As well as run my GPSr and portable CD player.

I Play with AA NimH (and 6C NimH in one light). From M*Gcharger bulb on 6 cells on up to WA01185 on 9.

I keep C & D cell lights around for emergency at home. EL Starlux, SL 3C LED, generic 3D 9LED, SL 3CXP/LED and a few others. As well as D lanterns.

I ONLY carry Lithium AA or 123 in truck lights! I had a leaking ALK nearly take out my SL TT3AA, and found a 2D light dead when I needed it too many times. I got some neat AA to C and AA to D holders to use in the D stuff. And I intend to put Lith AAA into a Clipmate so it will be ready when I need it!

If anything tells me anything, my Starlux says a 3D direct drive or slightly resistored LUXIII would be a KILLER light! (Starlux is LUX I)

I don't know if I"ve said anything that means squat.

But there is a place for D cells.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top to Bottom, 3rd Shift M*gmod 3C, Elektrolumens Blaster 3P 3D, Nuwai TM-801-3 with Nikola Tesla mod 4C.

dsc006539mh.jpg

Top to Bottom, Ledbeam 3C, Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phazer 3C,Nuwai ALX-233C 3C

dsc006540kr.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting