Just tried Minoudo (or however you spell it)

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minudo, Minoudo, whatever,, you know what it is. Well my brother's girlfriend's mom made a TON of it and sent some home with my brother. Mom didnt like it. youngest brother wouldnt even try it. I freggin loved it. Nothing id eat a gallon of but certainly tasty. But ive never been one to be scared of tripes or anything. This had tripes and trotters (pigs feet meat) and pisole' (homony corn) and spices, and was somewhat bland but then the spices came at you after you had a few spoonfulls. Not hot at all spice wise but with a nice little chili-savory flavor. I could see a LOT of people liking this if they didnt know what it is when they were served. I knew going into it and turned out adding another hole in my cullinary punch-card of things i want to try. And i liked it a lot.

Any of you ever tried it? post your experiences.

Shane

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
It's Menudo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

We have it once in a while, usually my grandmother or my mom makes a large pot of it and we pig out.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasn't that the boy band Ricky Martin was in when he was younger?? What is the food version? Sounds kinda like a stew. .

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I grew up in San Antonio so by defualt I had to eat it a few times at different events. Didn't love it, didn't hate it, never ordered it.

Santelmo

Enlightened
Hey! Did someone just mention a well-loved Filipino dish?(and yes, also a Spanish boy band in the 80's, but they probably wont taste as good. . .)

Traditionally, the dish was of Spanish ifluence (our country was under Spanish rule for more than 300 years). Yet, I suppose regional and cultural variations would exist as well since Spain also extensively colonized much of the New World or the Americas. I would imagine that its Brazilian version may taste altogether different than the one we have here.

In olden times, it was only served on special occassions, like duting fiestas because of the variety and cost of the ingredients. Nowadays it's more common and my sister's favorite; basically a stew, made of pork and liver with potatoes, carrots, green peas, bell peppers cooked in tomato sauce and mildly hot.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure it's made differnetly by everybody just like anything else. I was watching an episode of Cooks Tour and a london chef said that European and American people have fallen in love with the fillet and forgotten about the rest of the animal. Tripes, Trotters, heart, liver, all these things were the backbone of the majority of the populace back before we got so rich that everybody could afford fillets. Back in the day the rich got the choice cuts and left the rest for the land workers. And out of this such dishes as Menudo and Haggis, and various other things were invented to use everything that could be used. I think that every now and then we need to try these things to just root ourselves a little better to where we came from.

Shane