Titanium a marketing gimmick?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does titanium help with batteries performance at all? Is this just marketing gimmick like green toothpaste? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am refering to energizer brand titanium and other CR123 titanium. These CR123 claim to have titanium in it. I am curious if it is just gimmick

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gimmick indeed.

Titanium itself or any titanium compounds AFAIK have little or no value in producing electrons, especially compared to many other elements and compounds.

Some years ago, the word "Titanium" became just a kind of trendy thing and marketers started tacking it on to every kind of product or service they could come up with... It became the "gold" or the "Platinum" of the late 90s / early 2000s, with yuppies without any metallurgical understanding shelling out premium $$$ for products and services that had the word added on... Things that weren't even made of metal, or made of steel, "pot metal" or aluminum etc. just treated to look like unoxidized gray titanium.

I even saw "Titanium" credit cards that were still just plastic, but you paid a membership fee and higher interest rates for the privelige of being able to impress your acquaintances with your trendily named card.

Now, I think the new, trendy metal name is going to either be Iridium or Indium...maybe Scandium: I've seen a few products sporting those names lately, without any of the actual metals in them.

Personally, I think that people that get excited about the word Titanium should be put on lithium. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I love Osmium! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:
Gimmick indeed. Personally, I think that people that get excited about the word Titanium should be put on lithium. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Francium. Great gimmick.

While it occurs naturally in uranium minerals, there is probably less than an ounce of francium at any time in the total crust of the earth.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
99 44/100% marketing Hype!

Actually titanium is the most common metallic element on earth. It surrounds you. The pigment in white paint,white paper or plastic, TiO2.
It doesn't oxidize very easily, it has relatively poor electrical properties (you'll never make much of a battery with it, and isn't a particularly good conductor of either heat or electricity).

However in metallic form it appraoches wonder metal. It melts at a higher temperature than steel (about 3100F), and has a tensile stength in alloys that is as good as the best high alloy steels (200,000 psi). It is also very very hard, which makes it very difficult to machine. The SR-71 blackbird is almost all Titanium. At temperatures that aluminum turns to mush, Titanium is still as strong as steel. In fact it has been suggested that the SR71 had a near infinite fatigue life. The Titanium was re-annealed everytime it was flown!

Most commercial aircraft jet engine fans and fan blades are made of Titanium.

In my youth I bought some US Air Force Surplus Titanium bolts.
Weighs a little more than Aluminum, harder and stronger than most steel. One day I needed another bolt, so I figured I'd take one of the Ti screws which was half threaded, and thread the other half. I used a good carbon steel die, when it came to the end of the threads, the die simply snapped in two. It didn't leave a mark on the bolt!

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want long run time, plutonium batteries are hard to beat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hard to find also!

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im just waiting for somebody to offer me a Tungsten Mastercard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shane

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
I've got a titanium wedding ring. Does that count?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on who's wearin' the mate to it, don't it?

Doug Owen

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey tvodrd, where did you get the smiley that looks like Pac man?
How about molybidium credit card? It sounds more obscure.
You guys are right . The titanium name is just a gimmick that energizer use for their batteries

dukeleto

Newly Enlightened
Hey Silviron,
the only place I've seen advertising Scandium is in fancy aluminium alloys; is that what you were refering to?

Oh, and beat this: on a recently purchased ballpoint pen package, the manufacturer was touting their "stainless titanium" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Olivier