did you use tactical light on vacation?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you guys tell the forum your experience with your tactical light on vacation overseas? Did the light help you at all or none? If you have any horror vacation story , please tell us. We need some intersting story to forget London bombing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

J_Oei

Enlightened
Living in Florida, and having young children, we make our monthly pilgramages to the House of Mouse. I always carry multiple lights to see how they do during our vacation.

During the day, the light doesn't get used very much, but once the sun sets, we use the light as a 'headlight' for the strollers. It makes it easier for people to see us coming, and they are less likely to cut us off.

We also use it as we walk back to the car in the huge parking lot, so that other weary vacationers will not run us over!
Also, it is a great way to strike a conversation with a cast member, as he/she is directing traffic with their flashlights (not even a Maglight, it is an everready 2D special!)

So, our current favorite is the LionHeart. We can recharge the pair of batteries each night, it is variable, so we need to read something in a restaurant, or use it in headlight mode. I'll have to try the LionCub on the next trip.

I've had to use the light only once inside an attraction. We were on the Dinosaur ride in Animal Kingdom, which has areas of complete darkness. We were in the middle of one such area when the ride stopped. The little girl in the row behind us started to cry because she was afraid of the dark. So, I fired up the light, she stopped crying, and her mom thanked me profusely.

I've "spread the gospel" of CPF to more than one person on vacation. (It is invariably the guy who shows interest, and I always suppress a chuckle when I see the significant other start to roll their eyes...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
great story J Oei. we need more story from other CPF members. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
My stories are a little more mundane, but then again I'm not so sure I want them to be hair raising /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif one prepares the light for such a scenario but hopes one will never have to use it under such extreme circumstances.

I travelled recently and the Surefire U2 is very useful finding your way on a darkened plane (long haul flight) on its lowest level. However, a slightly lower-than-low would have been nice, maybe something like the HDS Basic 60 light.

It's great for finding house numbers on an unlit street, riding out a 3-minute blackout (aww, the fun was just beginning!! Everybody else was caught short!), rummaging in my bag, all the small things really, but it's the small things that make big differences.

taiji

Enlightened
I'll be off to Manila, Cebu, Zamboanga and Palawan in the Philippines and I plan (am going to) take with me: LedXtreme Predator (dunkable) and Nuwai TM116 for myself, an XO3 for my older son, a T3 and an Eddie Bauer Opto light for my younger son. I asked if my wife wanted one she says "No!", already embarassed for me with all my flashlights. Also taking as a present for my uncle a T4.
I hope that these lights will be used to play with and nothing more exciting than spotting a quick legged spider or two in the dark. I will have more stories when I get back in a month.

taiji

Enlightened
I planned on going snorkeling in the dark with my Predator. The eels are more active at night i think.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok. why don't you report on your snorklering adventure taiji? Let us know if you had been electrocuted in the water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

InFlux

Enlightened
We just got back from the "House of Mouse" (Disney World) also. I carried my McLux III PD every minute (just like any other day). Cutting edge mechanical and electronic technology. There's no other EDC I'd rather have.

The titanium clip performed perfectly through all the roller coasters, swimming pools, and water rides. I did have a lanyard attached just in case, but the clip never lost it's grip. I hope the flat design remains an option.

As J_Oei mentioned, it didn't see much use through the day (I carried it in case of a ride breakdown or power faliure) I did use it to navigate the crowds at the end of the night. I also carried my arc aaa on my keychain.

I did hear several people comment to each other that they wished they brought a flashlight.

I lent my wife my Aleph II NG 750 1x123 (her choice of anything except my PD's), and my 11 yo daughter a Costco 1w. I don't think they even turned them on. I expect this will change during our upcoming car-camping trip. I'll probably add one or two of my 5 watt Alephs for that trip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif