SureFire L6 questions

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the L6 is a fantastic light, although a bit (ok, very) expensive. I have a chance at getting it for a good price and just want to ask a few questions about brightness. How far does it throw? About as high as a U2 on high? It seems to have a very deep reflector, so I expect it to throw in the high 1000s and maybe around 2000.
TIA

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw's very close, about the same from my U2 and L6.

I ended up selling the L6, much as I would have preferred not to but I needed the money. It found a new home because it didn't offer me anything above and beyond the U2, which is a tough act to follow. The beam patterns are close, maybe the L6 is one or two degrees tighter (surprising given the big difference in reflector size) but that's about it. The U2 then offers variable power control on top of that, so it was a logical choice as to which to keep.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks kevin. Also, would it be safe to run 3 protected 4.2v Li ion batteries? (since it can run on 6 123s anyway (M6))

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also like to know if 4 volt cells will work in a L6 without damage. Anybody try yet? SureFire does have a lifetime Waranty...

wquiles

Flashaholic
I first had the L6 and I modded it to run at 1amp (vs. the stock 675mA). I later got the U2, and I found both of them to have a similar beam and intensity (just naked eye - no lux readings), so I sold the L6 since the U2 was actually smaller, handled the mighty 18650 cells, and had adjustability.

That is not to knock on the L6 - it is a very nice light. It is just that with the U2 I had no reason to want to keep the L6 and I generally sell what I have no intention of using.

Will