What is 'semi-regulated'? (Newbie)

drmaxx

Enlightened
What is \'semi-regulated\'? (Newbie)

I am hopping over from the Knifeforum because I need some help from the LED-pros. I am looking at getting a new Arc or a Peak Matterhorn. In the Flashlight Review they mentioned that the Peak is 'semi-regulated'. A similar cryptic remark can be found on the Arc-FAQ page.
Can anybody point me to a good explanation? I am sure that this is covered extensively in the archive, but I am somehow to dumb to find it. Thanks.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: What is \'semi-regulated\'? (Newbie)

I'm not at all sure of the exact technical terms.

But I consider using NimHs as giving semi regulation to lights that usually run alkalines.

I THINK it means that the light will start out bright, slooowly dim until it hits the magic line, then dims on out slowly.

All I know for certain is I don't think any other light can suck a battery dry like an ARC aaa!

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am

Basically what PlayboyJoeShmoe said is correct. For "semi-regulated" lights (which contain electronic circuitry), the light intensity falls off slowly initially, but the intensity will fall off faster towards the end of the cells life.

(Fully) regulated lights contain circuitry which keeps the light intensity constant until near the end of the cells life. Then the intensity will fall off very quickly.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quickbeam sir, just borrowing a few images from your site to use as examples here...(if you dont mind)

This is an example of the performance of an unregulated light.
minimag_runtime.gif

Notice the big reduction in output within the first 20% or so(1hr) of the total runtime.

For a LED light, unregulated looks like this>>
tikka_xp.gif

The initial huge dip isn't as big with LEDs but, it is still there.

Semi-regulated lights look like this>
tle-10.gif

Notice in this case that for most of the runtime, the output is greater than 50% of the maximum. In the case of unregulated lights, for most of the total runtime, output is less than 50% of the maximum.

Another eg of semi-regulated>>
costco_luxeon2aa_runtime.gif

Regulation here approaches 'fully regulated' but isn't since the graph doesn't have a flat top.

FULLY REGULATED!>>
heliotek_hte-1rev2_runtime.gif

Need I say more... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

By the way, Thank you Doug for all the effort you put into evaluating flashlights for all of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

Bob_G

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, Thank you Doug for all the effort you put into evaluating flashlights for all of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah boy, what a resource his site is. There should be a permanent "cheers" for him or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

drmaxx

Enlightened

Thank you very much for the answer - very illustrative. Now I just have to decide between the Arc and the Peak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast

I say Arc. But I don't have the peak so I can't tell you. I hear both are really great. But Arc has legendary reliability and you get to deal with Peter Gransee, a great guy.