How manufacturer put orange in orange peel?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the manufactuer of LED put the orange in the orange peel? The inquiring mind wants to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe it is generated using the footprints of tiny imps - they are made to tread in the reflector before the silver paint dries.

That is what I believe. I trust that nobody will be so heartless as to suggest an alternative belief?

Al

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
actually there are miniature tiny metal drum players pounding on the reflectors when they are still cooling. The weird noises they make they use on lousy rap songs to pay their college tuition.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
modamag said:
There is no orange in the Orange Peels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

here's the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that website but it never mention about making LED. It makes reflectors.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The third page really looks like mag reflectors, which are molded plastic and unlikely to need a "smoothing" undercoat. For machined reflectors one can spend a bunch of time/$ polishing prior to metallizing or spray a self-levelling coating and letting it dry prior to metallizing. My local metallizer suggested that to me for the CR2 centers, but I declined do to not wanting "paint" on conductive threads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Orange peel can probably be sprayed with "lumpy" paint. Guys have done it here on mag reflectors, but on top of the reflective surface. I suspect the better reflectors like SF use are embossed on special tooling in presses. (Must remember to ask Don sometime.)

Larry

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now here's the real story --

Sorry, but it's not the footprints of tiny imps.

It's the tiny imps using the reflectors as steel drums like they saw on their vacation in Trinidad. The reflectors that are used as steel drums are small enough and are hit so fast that it allows the imps to hit notes so high that usually only they can here them. However, the sound can be heard as a high pitched whine by some people. That is especially true of some LED lights.

See, we've solved two mysteries!

Check with SureFire and I am sure they'll verify this. Either that or they will say they use either a molding machine to mass stamp the reflectors or a stippling machine as part of the production process of each reflector.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
How to put orange peel in a reflector:

Take an orange, and peel it.

Eat the core and leave the rind.

Put rind and reflector in blender, run blender at maximum speed. The orange rind will be splattered all over the insides of the blender, and your reflector. This ensures a smooth, even spread of the orange peel across the reflector surface. For "medium" or "heavy" orange peel, simply add more oranges and run blender till they have been adequately distributed.

Remove reflector and replace in light.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

AW

Newly Enlightened
That sounds about right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thermalarc

Newly Enlightened
I normally lurk but Santa Cruz?!? Santa Cruz is considered the real world? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Actually since oranges are not orange and are actually yellow they get tiny apes with small bananas to beat on the hot reflectors and install the bulbs to scare them out when the reflectors cool enough.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
I was newbie once and had NFI what orange peel LOP PLOP and whatever else was available was.

I was afraid to ask too - I didn't think anyone would take me seriously hehehe Glad I kept my gob shut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Thermalarc said:
I normally lurk but Santa Cruz?!? Santa Cruz is considered the real world? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, absolutely! If you consider my crazy backwards universe theory, where cats chase dogs and this thread is on topic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
picard said:
How does the manufactuer of LED put the orange in the orange peel? The inquiring mind wants to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy to get the orange out of the peel, but putting it back in is another story.
--------------------
Free E.T.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size 15's: I have it good info from a friend of a friend of a friend that it's not the footprints, it's the hand, or more accurately, the palm prints of the Imps that make the indentations and I also picked up on a tale about how they prefer Lemon Peel over Orange, or so they say.