My Surefire 6P vs. Streamlight Strion Review

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
Surefire 6P vs. Streamlight Strion

Build quality: The 6P is machined very well. It seems a bit more beefy than the Strion. You can see and feel the quality from the grip to the Pyrex lens. You can lay it on its side any way and it stays put. The Strion is no slouch. It's build well, but a notch below the 6P (I can testify to the build quality of Streamlight by my 25 yr. old SL-20). There in only one side you can lay the Strion on it's side and not have it roll. Not bad, but not great. They might think about putting a hex type bezel up front like the 6P has. I don't think either will pose any problems in the near future. One note. I like that fact the Strion has a spare bulb in the tail cap vs. having to carry around a spare lamp. Edge to the 6P.

Performance: Both are bright. But the Strion appears slightly brighter and definitely has more throw. The Strion has a very defined and perfectly round beam and spill. The 6P has more of an oblong beam. The Strion's color temp. is a bit lower in color temp. than the 6P. The 6P is a touch whiter….maybe a few hundred degrees Kelvin higher in the color temp? The orange peel on the 6P reflector looks more exaggerated on the 6P. At a certain angle, the Strion's reflector looks smooth, though it's not. I'm personally one who likes rechargeable lights. But throwaway battery lights also have their place. I'm glad to own both. Overall, they are both great performers but the edge here clearly goes to the Strion. I will post beam shots later on.

Ease of Use: Pros and cons to both. They are roughly the same size in length. I have wide hands so I like the slightly larger circumference of the 6P (rough measurements: 6P = 3 3/16" Stion = 2 15/16"). That ¼" makes a difference. The 6P momentary switch is rubber and extruded from the body. The rubber could wear out but I guess it's a warranty item? Being extruded is also good for control but bad because it can't stand on end. Personally, I don't care if it can stand on end but others might. Also the 6P's grip (kurdling?) aids in twisting on/off. The Strion's momentary switch is plastic and recessed into the body. Good because it'll be durable, it can stand on end it won't accidentally turn in your pocket or wherever. While it take about the same force to click as the 6P, the slippery grip of the body causes the light to slip which makes me apply more pressure to the switch which in turn makes the light slip even more. It's tough to keep the momentary switch on. The Strion is just too slippery for my tastes. The edge here goes to the 6P.

Price: The Strion retails for more money but I (you) will easily make that up in the battery savings. Like I said, I like rechargeables. Edge to the Strion.

In summary, if the Strion had a better grip and slightly larger diameter, it would be the perfect light for me. I will tend to use the Strion more often due to it's rechargeable feature and longer throw. But that's not to say I won't use the 6P. The 6P has more of a 'wow' factor and makes a nice conversation piece. I love them both but in differnt ways.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Nice comparison of two great lights! I was going to purchase a 6P on my lunch break, but I came across a nice deal on Z3 instead.

PS don't be surprised if this is moved to the reviews forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
boostmiser said:They are roughly the same size in length. I have wide hands so I like the slightly larger diameter of the 6P (rough measurements: 6P = 3 3/16" Stion = 2 15/16"). That ¼" makes a difference.

[/ QUOTE ] You mean circumference, right? Or body length without the head?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I look at things similarly to you, but I give FAR greater weight to performance (edge Strion) and rechargeability (all Strion). The rolling, knurl quality and build weight are important, but secondary features to overall performance/total output/beam quality.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a P90 and 2 RCR123 Li-ions in your 6P and you'll have one great rechargeable light.
I sold my Strion because of how slippery it was. Form factor is a big deal to me and SF usually has the edge on that one over SL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean a P61? Or does the P90 (for three battery lights) work in there?
Unfortunately, making the SF rechargeable means increasing it's length 2.1 inches with a piece that doesn't match the Gun Metal color I have. They really should make these adapters in all finished. Not to mention the recharge kit is $84 plus ~$20 for the lens assembly.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
boostmiser,
No mistake, 2 Li-ions run at an equivalent voltage of 3 primary cells, so the P90 is a good fit. You will get almost twice the lumens of the P60 and Strion, but probably about half the runtime. I just wanted to mention it as another option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
I sold my Strion because of how slippery it was. Form factor is a big deal to me and SF usually has the edge on that one over SL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrap a light in cheap 3M black friction tape and it provides a fantastic grip. I've used this tape to improve the grip of my Costco 2AA, 19-LED Quake II, 21-LED MEK, and Battery Station 8-LED.