Does it bother you?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I wonder if I'm alone in that I do care where my flashlights are made! I appreciate quality and reliability but place the potential longevity of a product at the higher end of my purchasing decisions. Why? Well I figure that if I'm going to spend my hard earned money on anything, whatever it is,it should last for as long as possible and be supported by the manufacturer with easily accessible spares etc.

In this respect SF, SL and of course Maglite are top of the list. All these companies support their products and all of them produce lights which will continue being used many years if not decades after they were purchased. Contrast that with some of the imported Far Eastern lights which are turned out very cheaply and in large numbers but which quickly fail and then try to find spares for them?

For me the American made flashlight manufacturers produce lights that represent solid products which withstand the test of time and which I know will be supported with adequate spares etc.

Of course I realise that some parts are not made in the States and that many LEDS's are supplied from East Asia. However, be that is it may, the principal that it does matter to me where a product comes from is one of the most important decision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
In general, I too look to purchase quality items. I try to apply this for most items I buy and not just lights. I guess the old saying "You get what you pay for" applies.

I haven't purchased a lot of far eastern lights unless you count the Q3 which I got from Amondotech. I'm pretty happy with it and it seems to be well made. If it craps out tomorrow, I'll probably just buy another one or see if I can have it modded.

That's part of the fun I've been having since finding CPF. There's so many choices out there and not all the companies have a long history like SF or Maglite. I don't have a problem buying from one of these companies as long as their offerings do not come with a SF price. And if I buy a $5 light and it poops out after 5 minutes...well it was what it was - a $5 light.

[edit]
BTW, I joined the GB 4sevens is doing for the Fenix L1/L1P. This is another far eastern light. Based on the specs, seems like a good light. At the price point being offerred, I determined it was good enogh to try out. Would I have joined the GB if the price was double? Nope. If it was a SF light with the same specs and the price was still doubled? - I'd at least consider it. Reputation goes a long way.
[\edit]

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
I wonder if I'm alone in that I do care where my flashlights are made!

Well I figure that if I'm going to spend my hard earned money on anything, whatever it is,it should last for as long as possible and be supported by the manufacturer with easily accessible spares etc.

For me the American made flashlight manufacturers produce lights that represent solid products which withstand the test of time and which I know will be supported with adequate spares etc.

Of course I realise that some parts are not made in the States and that many LEDS's are supplied from East Asia. However, be that is it may, the principal that it does matter to me where a product comes from is one of the most important decision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug, I agree with you. If someone spends their hard-earned money on what is supposed to be a quality product, They deserve to have that purchase either trouble-free, and/or properly serviced. Some parts of the computer industry are a horrible example of what can go wrong.

Be it flashlights, automobiles, or electronics, it is a fact of life that a LOT of very good stuff is "NOT MADE HERE", wherever "here" may be. My present car probably has at least a dozen parts that were manufactured elsewhere,and another expensive purchase I recently made is from Czechoslovakia. (Did I spell that right?)

It is the global market and society we live in that makes it so, with all the good and bad that accompanies choice. Quality will endure: junk won't.

True, I try to buy quality stuff from U.S. companies for the very reasons you mention, but a Kodak camera instead of a Nikon? Not hardly! (My wife can have the Kodak, it's probably made where all the others are.)

I think supporting free enterprise, wherever it comes from, if it does not support a lifestyle or government that would damage yours is a good thing.

Jealousy is a terrible thing, and those who seem to be most covetous of what is readily available to the majority of the civilized world and the average American, and need the medicine, technology and education the most, are the very ones who wish to destroy it for everyone.

I won't knowingly purchase a product from those places, No matter how good it is. I can't feel right supporting that sort of an attitude, and I don't, as much as is possible in today's world market.

nethiker

Enlightened
Hey doug,

I'd add another manufacturer to your list and one from your backyard. I'm real impressed with what Rob is doing over at Orb.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having grown up in the age of globalization, yes, I do tend to disregard international borders as a legacy that we're living with. We are brought together by shared values and not so much simply because of what flag is involved. I don't buy the whole "I buy local just to support those who can't compete effectively" argument either. It's something that I simply don't understand (also having grown up in a place where we don't ONLY rely on indigenous industry and the domestic heartlands, if not we'd be screwed big time).

That having been said, I do find that US companies tend to place higher emphasis on design, support, quality control and engineering. Even if they outsource the manufacturing of the physical goods, as long as they do the design and QC/QA, the finished product tends to be just as good.

PS: Just read sniper's comments in more detail, there is one exception: I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from someone hell bent on destroying our way of life - that I fully agree.

Also.. there are many of us who may not have been born American, who may have ended up in Asia, who genuinely do care about the situation over there. As I said, what brings us together is shared values. By saying "all of Asia doesn't care very much" well.. it's kinda alienating those of us who DO care, just that we're not "officially" part of America, right?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
When I buy products I usually just care that it will work well. It seams like you can trust most US products, but there are others oversea ones that seam to work well. I've heard great things about the Q III.
Once at work I saw a guy looking all over a weber bar-B-Q. I went over to ask him if he needed any help, and found out to see if it was made in china. He would not buy it if it was made in china. regardless of where it was made, it was a reasonably well made product, so I wouldn't worry about where it was made.

As long it works well for a long time, I'll use it.

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:

That having been said, I do find that US companies tend to place higher emphasis on design, support, quality control and engineering. Even if they outsource the manufacturing of the physical goods, as long as they do the design and QC/QA, the finished product tends to be just as good.

Exactly!

Also.. there are many of us who may not have been born American, who may have ended up in Asia, who genuinely do care about the situation over there. As I said, what brings us together is shared values. By saying "all of Asia doesn't care very much" well.. it's kinda alienating those of us who DO care, just that we're not "officially" part of America, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just re read my post, and it does appear sort of xenophobic, not to mention ethnocentric, doesn't it? I apologize if it gave offense. None was intended. It is good to know that there are other people out there who are outraged when a member of the world community is injured. We get a more one-sided view from our media, it seems.

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sniper said:
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
I wonder if I'm alone in that I do care where my flashlights are made!

Well I figure that if I'm going to spend my hard earned money on anything, whatever it is,it should last for as long as possible and be supported by the manufacturer with easily accessible spares etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you!

Teh

Newly Enlightened
American idealogy or not, supporting or not suppoting US angendas should not apply here. We should be more focused on quality of the product, not for their political agendas. Sniper's example for buying American cars is noble (perhaps American cars are better after all?), but just because the Japanese (or the rest of the world) does not support American idealogy does not make them evil, does it?

sniper

Enlightened
Teh; I agree. No agenda, just my personal reaction to a horrific occurrance, the same as it was when it happened in Spain, Japan, Great Britain, and Maylasia.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ALWAYS look where products I buy are made. I try to always buy American-made products whenever possible, flashlights included. There is a sense of pride in it for me. I'm proud of my fellow American workers, and would rather my dollars stay here in America, doing America good, keeping Americans employed. I intend no offense to people outside the U.S.A., but make no appologies for my opinions.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Thanks for your views guys. I dont want to go OT by getting into the politics of globalisation or outshopping to overseas countries due to their cheap labour so I think I'll avoid that. However, I will say that IMHO a lot of stuff from The Far East is sub standard and my experiences lead me to believe that I cant depend on the quality and durability of products made there. This doesn't apply to all of the Far East as electronics made in Japan, Taiwan and Indonesia have been powering most of the western worlds IT equipment for many years. Ultimately, I guess it all depends on what you are happy spending your money on?
Doug

Pila_Power

Enlightened
It comes down to personal choice IMO. For example; I can buy Australian or I can buy American. In the big scheme of things, I don't feel my supporting Australias economy over USA's economy will change the level of foreign debt we currently have.

On the other hand, I feel that USA residents on the whole suffer from 'patriotism extremus' and buy American products with a view to boost their own economy and support their fellow citizens.

You know what? I reckon it would work on a population scale such that America has. Australia has no ingrained culture like that IMO, which isn't a good thing.

Teh

Newly Enlightened
In my personal opinion, stuff made in Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia... are good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But stuff made in China/Hongkong is another story, and is what you get is what you pay for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Keep this in mind if you want something thats lasts, or something just for the time being.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not concerned where product is made. I have wolfeye light which is made in China. It is very good light. Technology will improves each decade hence the country of origin of the product will not be an issue in the future.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for explaining where you're coming from sniper. I have always enjoyed dealing with the enlightened Americans for their honesty and openness, thank you for reaffirming that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sniper said:
[...and another expensive purchase I recently made is from Czechoslovakia. (Did I spell that right?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sniper,

That Purchase wouldn't happen to have CZ in the product name followed by a number would it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If it is, you will never regret that purchase...

Racer X

Robban

Enlightened
If a product is well made I don't give a rodents behind where it was made. It's just that simple. If it was made in Sweden, great I get an opportunity to support my own country. If it was made in the states, sure I'll send you some of my money. If it was made in Thailand, why not give them some of my money to show that I like what they're doing?

Basing a purchase on the country of origin is a bit ignorant IMHO. One can usually draw some conclusions based on where something is made but that is far from an exact science.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had terrible luck with Chinese lights. Chinese quality control has been terrible, my opinion says. My most problem lights I have are made in China (ELs and SL Lux Jrs).

Most of my Chinese lights have been utter horse crap, except Nuwai (the Q3s are okay, no problems so far). Longbows have also been good, and my problem Longbow I figured out what was wrong and was able to fix it myself recently.

I'm trying to stick with US made as much as possible.

I would take a look at Japanese lights if any were made there, as I've had WONDERFUL luck with Japanese cars.

My primary concern is quality and reliability, I don't care WHERE a product is made....its just that so far my experience is that China is NOT producing good products currently, in general. If this changes in the future, I'd have no problem buying Chinese lights.