Help, I'm a newbie....

Fruitjacknix

Newly Enlightened
I have collected flashlights for awhile and never knew there was a forum for this. I was just curious about which LED light in the 100-150 range has the brightest and tightest beam and is very smooth in its transition. I was with a friend who has a 3 watt nuwai LED and this light was impressive. Is the 5 watt like this only brighter? I was curious about the Gladius name and would appreciate all comments! Thanks and with any luck I can hang out here more often. Maybe turn my addiction of watches to flashlights!
Good Things,
Michael

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and Welcome To CPF!

You might want to check out the Inova T4. This is a rechargeable 4W LED light.

If you are after an LED light with throw, this might fit the bill. The Inova T series use a special optic to optimize throw and puts out a very bright narrow beam with minimal spill. Also great quality lights.

Mark

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

The new Pelican M6 3 watt ($99) has a very nice beam with ALOT of throw. And the surefire KL3 ($62 without body) has a little more throw with a very tight beam, but no sidespill. Surefire has a better runtime, but less output/lumens, and the Pelican has a nicer beam IMHO.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_Gordon said:
Hi and Welcome To CPF!

You might want to check out the Inova T4. This is a rechargeable 4W LED light.

If you are after an LED light with throw, this might fit the bill. The Inova T series use a special optic to optimize throw and puts out a very bright narrow beam with minimal spill. Also great quality lights.

Mark

I've always wondered... why but a T4 if you could buy a T3 with rechageables for less? and you get more throw with the T3 too.

-David

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5w LED's do put out more light over all, but it is mostly a wide flood. The 3w put out less light, typically, but are more focused and give more throw.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
I've always wondered... why but a T4 if you could buy a T3 with rechageables for less? and you get more throw with the T3 too.

-David
Not to want to hijack the thread on a side discussion -- but, David, where do you get a charger and batteries for $17 (current price difference between T4 and T3 at LAPolicegear.com)?

Back to Fruitjacknix: The Gladius has a fairly tight beam, and a good usable sidescpill. However, the transition from the hotspot to the side is not really smooth. There's a slight starshaped pattern around the hotspot with my Gladius, but it's just really noticable on close inspection (shining against a wal 4 ft away).

Last edited:

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try on of the SureFire badboys: L2,U2,L4,L5,L6. You will not be sorry:

TheBadestLightsEver-1.JPG

All so if you have a spare Marine Master (Seiko) maybe we could trade. I have lots of these and other LED flashlites even better. PM me if interested.
smile.gif

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
David,

If i'm not mistaken, a T3 with rechargeables (only Pilas are recommended because other types of rechargeables might wreck the light) will have a reduced output compared to a T3 with primary cells. This reduction in output and throw is apparently noticable. Therefore it seems that the only way to have a rechargeable Inova with the throw and power of a T3 is to get a T4. :)

Having said that, I also second the suggestions for the Inova T3 or T4 as good throw lights. For some reason I find it more fun having a piercing straight beam than a flood that throws far, even though the flood is more useful IMO.

Ty

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
elgarak said:
Not to want to hijack the thread on a side discussion -- but, David, where do you get a charger and batteries for $17 (current price difference between T4 and T3 at LAPolicegear.com)?

The difference isnt $17.. the T3 has been out longer, therefore has had time to have price drops, the T4 is fairily new and hasnt quite had the time to drop prices as much as the T3. The cheapest I have seen a T3 is about $55, and the T4 about $85... that makes a $30 difference.

-David

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
I've always wondered... why but a T4 if you could buy a T3 with rechargeables for less? and you get more throw with the T3 too.

-David

Hi David-

Not by any qualitative test, but by observation in the late night dog walking lab, I find the lights very close with a slight edge in throw to the T4.

It is the only rechargeable light I own. Big advantage to me is no battery juggling. Just leave it in its cradle, grab and go. I have the 12V charger wired into my Jeep, which is where it lives most of the time. Biggest disadvantage is almost 2" added length.

Both are great lights with throw which meet Fruitjacknix's LED long throw requirement.

Mark

Last edited:

taiji

Enlightened
hello Fruitjacknix and welcome,

I have the T3 and T4 and I really like them both, with each one costing less than $100. I also have a LEDXtreme Predator that is very well made.

If you are looking for a nice throwing light for less than a hundred $, Wasabe64 is selling his LED Extreme Predator in the BST thread for $85 and this light out throws the T3 and T4 easily. The Predator is a 1 watter overdriven to 3 watts and is water resistant to 150 feet. Built like a tank. Worth checking out.

taiji

Fruitjacknix

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone, I will be asking more questions I'm sure!

Thanks everyone, I will be asking more questions I'm sure!