Surefire KL-3 vs KL-3 2.0

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys I received my KL-3 2.0 from surefire today.
For one thing it is not quite as purple as the 1.0 version but certainly it is no W0 bin or anything like that.
I find it interesting that Surefire would produce a 2.0 version of a head that has a beam so totally different than the first. the new KL-3 is a tight beam the 1.0 version is not a spot. the design is totally different. The 2.0 version is much brighter than the 1.0
the quality control of this particular product has gone DOWN. in the 1.0 version not a spec of dust is present under the glass "lens" It is not really a lens but I do not know what to call it. The 2.0 version was not made in what would be considered a "clean room" as evidenced by the amount of dust like material under the lens (this head has a lens) the outer surface of the lens is convex.
The finish is a fine HAIII looks sturdy and matches the tail cap I have for this light. I now need a HAIII 6P type of body to have an all HAIII flashlight.
(long story short I have been making this light from found and surplus parts. Then I went and ordered this 2.0 version of the KL-3 Head.

Over all for a light of it's size, it is too big. Does this make any sense?
I still like the 1.0 version of the KL-3.

I have no idea about run time (don't care much either I have lots of batteries).
The dirty optic shouldn't be this dirty. The color shouldn't be so purple.
The optic also has some interesting artifacts which include a rainbow of color ring at 6 inches or so.
I don't even know if Surefire has a return policy regarding emitter tint. I will look into this. Tonight if requested I will shoot a comparison beam shot.
As far as i am concerned the new KL-3 is more in line style wise with the current lot of surefire flashlights. I wish they had made a 3 watt version of the OLD version with a decent tint.
I will report more as I discover it. Here.

XenonM3

Enlightened
the quality control of this particular product has gone DOWN. in the 1.0 version not a spec of dust is present under the glass "lens" It is not really a lens but I do not know what to call it. The 2.0 version was not made in what would be considered a "clean room" as evidenced by the amount of dust like material under the lens (this head has a lens) the outer surface of the lens is convex.

Sorry to hear about the condition of your Gen2 KL3, but mine is far from being dirty nor it having a purple led tint, maybe you lost the lottery. :shrug:

My KL3 I bought from Calvin doesn't have any dust on it and the glass and optics look crystal clean and clear, the tint of the luxeon is whiter and more even then the nexgen 750 TWOK that I compared it to.

Maybe you can get an exchange from where you bought it.

good luck.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the thing directly from surefire.

I will blast them an e-mail.
yaesumofo
XenonM3 said:
Sorry to hear about the condition of your Gen2 KL3, but mine is far from being dirty nor it having a purple led tint, maybe you lost the lottery. :shrug:

My KL3 I bought from Calvin doesn't have any dust on it and the glass and optics look crystal clean and clear, the tint of the luxeon is whiter and more even then the nexgen 750 TWOK that I compared it to.

Maybe you can get an exchange from where you bought it.

good luck.