Almost "said goodbye" to my SureFire

DavidTHR

Enlightened
At dinner with my wife, I almost lost my old, but reliable, Surefire E2-HA.

I had it clipped to my rear pocket, and when we left the restaurant, I noticed while walking to the car, that my E2 was MISSING.

We returned to the restaurant, and my E2 was still sitting on the chair (maybe it wanted some dessert?).

This it NOT the first time something like this has happened with my EDC Surefires.

Any suggestions for a "lanyard" that would attach to my E2 (or my other EDC lights -- E2e and L4) to help secure it, BUT STILL allow it to be used at arm's length, if needed?

Thanks.

Last edited:

bigcozy

Enlightened
If you look at this pick of my EDC, I have an Arc AAA and a Leatherman P4 attatched with a lanyard. Each end has a metal quick release clip on it. Works well and keeps me form losing them.

smalledc0015ah.jpg

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this happened to my Surefire U2. It usually sits in my bag but somehow its not there anymore. My last resort is checking the school lost and found; hopefully someone dropped it off there.

Glad you found your light!

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided not to use the clips on my smaller Surefires. I just put the E1L or E2e all the way in my pocket. The clips are nice in theory, but it's more important to me that the flashlight not fall out of my pocket.

The E1L probably shouldn't have a clip it sits so precariously on the edge of your pocket.

DavidTHR

Enlightened
Thanks for all the ideas.

I like the Surefire clipped to my pocket for easy access, so a retrectable name badge "lanyard" sounds pretty good.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

attowatt

Enlightened
Sportman's Warehouse $2.99 in the fly fishing section.
Different ones available, this 1 extends to 20 inches, as well as "teeth" in clip so it stays on your pants. Look closely at the last pic and you can see "lint" where it was biting into cotton.

Steel cable that is "clear" plastic lined on so it don't rust... if your fly fishing in water.

Jim:wave:

CLHC

Flashaholic
WHOA! I was thinking about them retracting lanyards. Now I know what/where to look.

I did lose my SF M2 though. . .Last seen was at the gun range some time ago. Since then, I've practiced well enough the quick feel before leaving; although I use the lanyards supplied by SureFire.

Sportsman Warehouse eh? Gotta remember that! There's TADGear also and JTICE among others out there. . .So Hang On 2 Your Lights! ! !

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
For retractables try here and for non-retractables try here.

I've got them both but use the BP ones the most since my lights are usually in a pocket rather than hanging free from my belt.

-LT

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
DavidTHR said:
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Consider a holster too, one the holds the light securely. Keeps you from losing the light, and frees you from the tether. I've lost 2 knives that were clipped to my pocket, so I've given up on this form of carry.

Also consider attaching a spring clip to the light, which would hook on a carabiner attached to a belt loop.

best regards

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you keep a flashlight in your pocket (as I do), be aware that it can fall out when you sit down on the toilet. Deep pockets are better.

prof

Enlightened
Watch out for those open belt holsters, and even the clip-on kind. I had a cell phone clipped (well clipped) to my belt--fell off and landed in the dog's water bowl (no joke). Flashlight would probably survive this better than the cell phone did...

WDR65

Enlightened
I've noticed also that the longer Surefire clips such as those on my A2 and E2o work much better at retaining the lights in my pockets than the one on my E2d and E1e. The same goes for the clips on my C3's and TL-3.

So far to date I've only lost one Surefire and it was my OD G2 that fell out of my pocket after jumping a ditch in a corn field. It happened in the early morning and I didn't discover it missing until the that night. I quickly found it the next evening though and promptly bought a ripoff holster for it.

Lanyards are nice for my smaller lights and I will keep one around my neck for time to time, but I need to much flexibility to keep one tied to my belt. The gearkeeper things look like they could have some potential with my duck hunting jackets d rings as well as my ski and raincoats.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock E series clips arent known for their reliability. Especially for the E1/e. Like many others have said, you should invest in a good lanyard to avoid those sort of things again. The kinds from surefire are pretty nice, although there have been problems mentioned about the quick release ones.

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
How I carey my light (Aleph or SF E2E) depends on what I am doing that day. If I am out in the woods or soumwhere I dont have to worey about appearnce I use a Bekrley Poinct teather with a minny clip on the end, as soum of the places I go if you drop it you dont get it back. All parts are here

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/tools/mct1.html

Heres a few pics of how its set up.

And heres the clip at the end

It also aways rideds in a Ripoffs brand clip on holstler CO-30 with velcro top... Found it Ile 6 CO-30 here.

http://www.holsterdepot.com/

But that is more to protect my pants pocket from wareing out... I have a benchmade knife in my right side pocket but it has never had a problem. I have a habbet of checking for my "tools" after I have usede them. I would hate to louse any of them.

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Considering how expensive most of the SureFire line is, I can see why everyone would need a method to securely fasten the unit to your clothing.

mahoney

Enlightened
I use holsters with "lift the dot" snaps on the flaps to carry my EDC light, multi-tool, etc. They are easy to open by hand but usually won't open randomly when you bump into stuff. I tried Velcro flaps and they held OK but also got caught endlessly in jackets, sweaters, shirts, etc.
All my holsters have slots or straps on the back for the belt to pass through, I quit using holsters with spring clips after losing knives and flashlights a couple times in theater seats and car seats.
Lanyards are good, but I'm always getting them snagged on stuff so I usually only use them when working over water or at heights.