New Photon Freedom ...wow!

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
So I got a new Photon Freedom this week. It's the model that claims to have 2x the output of the old model. So I spent the prerequisite time playing with all the different modes and checking out how cool the strobe and SOS features are. This morning was the first really practical use of it however. I got up extra early for work this morning and not wanting to wake my wife turning lights on all the house I grabbed my keys with my Photon on them. As I walked out into the hallway I activated the light and BAM wow that little keychain light put out some serious light. I could see all the way from one end of the hall to the other. I then used the dimming feature when I headed back into the bedroom to pick up a few items I forgot to grab, with the light dimmed, I was able to grab the things I needed without disturbing my wife. I think I'm going to like this light.

I haven't had a chance to make practical use of the Clip/stand or the necklace lanyard yet. I can really see how the clip would be very useful, the necklace a lot less so, at least for my needs, but it's really nice that they include both with the Photon.

Racer X

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
My experience is just the opposite...the neck kit is what I use 98% of the time.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing I like about the this light is that it's got the lowest brightness setting of any light I have and can come on as such. This is really useful for wake-up-in-middle-of-night trips as anything brighter (even my tiny Zinc Air Fire-Fli) can be too bright. Just a tiny squeeze more lets you smoothly ramp up if more is required. While I appreciate the greater brightness/effeciency of the LED, I don't really like using it on high much since I can just imagine those puny batteries screaming for mercy; I'd rather have an Arc AAA for that.

MVB

Newly Enlightened
racerx2oo3 said:
I haven't had a chance to make practical use of the Clip/stand or the necklace lanyard yet. I can really see how the clip would be very useful, the necklace a lot less so, at least for my needs, but it's really nice that they include both with the Photon.

Racer X
I agree.

I haven't used either one yet, but it's one of those "it's nice to know you've got them in case you need them" sort of things. The obvious use for the clip (and this is why it's known as a "cap clip") is to convert the Photon to a hands-free headlamp by clipping ot to the brim pf a ball-cap. And it can also be clipped to anything else that the clip will fit over. The less obvious use for the clip is to allow the Photon to stand on its tail in "candle" mode. Just rotate the clip at a right angle to the light and rest it on a flat surface.

Obviously, if one is going to be doing something where a headlamp is the best light for the job, then one should use an actual headlamp -- but it's nice to have the option. (And the clip takes up a lot less space in a jacket pocket or briefcase than a full size headlamp would...)

I also like the concept of the lanyard, but haven't had occasion to use it yet. One advantage to wearing the light around your neck is that it is less likely to be activated by accident than it would be in a pocket full of keys...

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use both the lanyard and the clip/magnet for my Photons, and like them both a lot. It just depends on what you need to use them for at any particular time. Great thing about the "system" is that you can have it all with you since it takes up so little space. Versatile or what?

Now to really have fun, try the Flexbeam setup. The suction cup attaches the light to a car window and lets you navigate at night without bumming out the driver. Also attaches nicely to a clipboard. The magnetic mount is real handy for those roadside problems or working around anything metal that the magnet can stick to. The gooseneck seems to be just the right length for the output of the light and is a nice package for the price. The whole deal packs into the little round tin that it comes in and takes up almost no room in a pack or the glove box.

I find that I keep trying to find new excuses to play with, er..., reasons to use this nifty little rig.

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I have over $100 in photon fredoms alone, even one of the older moddel befor they went to the brighter LED. I use the red one as a map/radio light in my car. White 2X on my key chain, older wite on the Girlfrends keys. I also have a UV and a nouther red.

NoShadow

Enlightened
Nasty said:
My experience is just the opposite...the neck kit is what I use 98% of the time.

Same here...you don't notice you're wearing it. It is very light (almost weightless). Great light!

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Photon Microlight as my EDC, and have been for years.
I use this light more than any other light I own.
I plan to upgrade very soon to the Photon Freedom Max in white.