Any info on Surefire 6PN?

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I contacted a Surefire employee and he said that there is one divelight that they sell to civilians: the Surefire 6PN.

Does anyone have any stats. or pics?

-tom

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
The 6PN is an "ordinary" 6P that has been certified/testing for diving. I am not sure if there are any extra O-Rings or other Protection build in. Size-, Output and appearance are like any other 6P.
Sorry, I don't have one, so I don't know to what deep it is certified.

Holger

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you (or Danke I should say),

I am interested in the light.. I cant afford it, but I would like to see the stats.

-tom

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 6PN and other models featuring the "N" suffix are tested at SureFire and given the rating of being waterproof to 30 metres (100 feet in old money).

It should be pointed out that this may not mean it can be used (operated) at that depth, just transported. It is likely that the pressure will activate the pressure switch if it is not locked out.

If you need to operate the flashlight a different switch may be a better solution.
Classic WeaponLights have options for stiffened switches.
If you need to rotate the TailCap then two o-rings are a must.

The 6PN is just a 6P that has been prepared and tested.
If you change the batteries there is a chance it will no longer be waterproof.

SureFires (with only a few exceptions) are designed to be capable of being rated waterproof. With good o-ring care I have no doubt that most SureFires will perform at shallow depths.

Al

socom45

Newly Enlightened
This one is a bit late but have only just seen it. The 6PN IS actually tested and certified to Navy specs (capable of diving with it). I have misplaced my paper with the specs on it so can't give you the diving depth, but I do have the 6PN. I can confirm it has 2 o rings at the tail cap end, and 1 o ring at the bezel end. I'm not sure if the bezel is made any different, nor am I sure if it makes any difference which tail cap you have on it. I have the z58 or 59 black clickie on it right now....and those are supposed to be waterproof as well as the others. Not needing a dive light at the moment I didn't need to spend the $112.00 for the light compared to $60 for the 6P but I tend to go with the better stuff....just strange that way I guess. I believe the standard 6P has only one o ring at the tail end, but I'm not sure as I don't have one, nor have I ever seen one. Hope this helps.

Dunc5

Newly Enlightened
I know someone with a 6PN and it does have two O rings on the tail end and the standard 6P only has one , i purchased another O ring for my 6P and while i realise that this alone doesnt make it a 6PN but i figured two O rings are better than one .

Dunc

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I have also been told unofficially that you can use two o rings with the 6P, however, should anything seep in your warranty would be worthless. I personally think the extra groove for the other o ring is worth the extra $50.00 if that's what you need.

Dunc5

Newly Enlightened
The std 6P has got two grooves for two O rings but only comes fitted with one .As for the warranty , if anything seeped in you would just remove the second O ring before sending it back .

Dunc

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Is that the only difference in the two? Is not the bezel more reinforced???

Dunc5

Newly Enlightened
Yes thats the only difference , selected 6Ps are tested (i dont know how ) in the factory to a certain standard i think size 15s said 30 metres then given the 6PN label if they dont leek .I dont know if there is anything more to it than that .

Dunc

Dunc5

Newly Enlightened
Socom have you thought about getting a KL3 gen 2 led head for you 6PN , i just got one and its superb , its alot brighter than i thought it would be .

Dunc

Dunc5

Newly Enlightened
Dunc5 said:
Socom have you thought about getting a KL3 gen 2 led head for you 6PN , i just got one and its superb , its alot brighter than i thought it would be .

Dunc

Forget that, i just read your other posts and you are getting one .

Size15's

Flashaholic
They are rated usually for 30 metres / 100 ft depth although some require 150 metres. I suspect that the depth the flashlights are tested to is greater than that they are rated to. Normally there is an overage.
Certainly when I test the strength of a product I usually factor a 50% overage.
Sometimes I'm asked to test to 100% over the intended maximum use rating.

Pretty much all SureFires are designed to be capable of being tested and rated waterproof.

Al

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Yes Dunc, I think the new gen 2 will be the one for me.... I've tried the original, and the 3 w drop in.... wasn't overly impressed though they were good. I like a beam that'll reach out there....or jam the night vision senses if need be... :- ) I was ready to get one in but have just been told he doesn't have a black ha one..... so I'll have to wait on that. :- ( Desperate for a light, but if the black 6PN and the green ha wouldn't look right for me...

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for letting me know it's a good one though. I guess it is worth waiting for? About how much run time do you get??