Agonizing !! its 4 am .....

Newly Enlightened
Does SF(or any other mfgr) make a dual output light with gen 2 KL3 beam type ?!?! I want to make my supply of EDIT>72 SF 123s I got for Christmas last longer than my gen 1 tl-2 led is . ALL opinions and suggestions appreciated !

Last edited:

kennyj

Enlightened
I don't have any details, but there's a prototype McE2S switch for C/M bodies that you could use, or you could slap a KL3 on an Aleph body/tailcap using an E>C adaptor. You can also buy or build an Aleph in whatever configuration you want and slap in a collimator lens. Otherwise, LED heads with a wide reflector might give you what you want (Aleph 3) on their own. (Yeah, you can see I'm a fan of the Aleph series. Head to the McGizmo sub-forum and learn, if you haven't already.)

Other options aside, you could just choose the stock KL3 on stock C/M body option and simply carry a good keychain-size light, perhaps with a lanyard for convenience. I love my Arc-AAA; there are other excellent options as well. The thing is, low-output, highly-focused lights have few applications; up close the spot is too small to be good for general use, and from a distance there just isn't enough light for anything other than signalling.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, maybe the new Surefire AWOPS will have what you need... we'll just see when they come out.

-David

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get an aleph 2 cell body. Aleph 2 stage tail switch an e to c converter and you are in business.
Throw it all together and you have a 2 stage KL3 flashlight.
Or just look for a modded 2 stage switch to stick on your flashlight.
Yaesumofo

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
ditto.
AWOPS?
Do you mean the few DARPA lights that are in iraq? I don't think these will ever be commercialized.
Meanwhile the classic Mc2es tailcap for C series in the shoppe would work. You can also use a E2C adapter to put your KL3 on an aleph tailcap compatible body...

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
6010 said:
Does SF(or any other mfgr) I want to make my supply of 90 SF 123s I got for Christmas last longer than my gen 1 tl-2 led is . ALL opinions and suggestions appreciated !

90?? How many do you use a week?? Maybe you need rechargeables. :)

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
a set lasts me quite awhile i still have *gone to look* 4 boxes of 12 ....so 48 total .i think i should get rechargeables tho but that is a whole other can of lumen worm . ....

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are those DARPA lights you mentioned. They should eventually come out commercially.

-David

K-T

*Moderator*
cheapo said:
They are those DARPA lights you mentioned. They should eventually come out commercially.

-David

They won't be available commercially ever as far as I know. :(

WDR65

Enlightened
Anybody know what makes the DARPA lights so special? They look cool, but aside from the turbohead version and the version with extra led's around the bezel edge......................?

K-T

*Moderator*
WDR65 said:
Anybody know what makes the DARPA lights so special? They look cool, but aside from the turbohead version and the version with extra led's around the bezel edge......................?

Well, yes...considering this they aren't that special... :thinking: :grin2: :shrug:

WDR65

Enlightened
Ok, Ok, lol. I know they're special, just wondered what would make them unavailable to the civilian market. I think I have the basic idea though.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are only made for a special contract with DARPA so they'll be the only ones getting these. I'm not even sure SF would have to right commercialize the product of a DARPA funded project...