A2 question

rackness

Newly Enlightened
i know that there have been numerous threads about the use of rechargables in the A2 but i have a spin on the old question.

i have an A2 and i recently aquired another in the new round body style.

the new body style is where my question begins. doing a side by side comparison of my new and old A2 it appears that the round style has noticably more room than the older flat side model. unfortunatly i do not own a caliper to measure exactly.

so i am wondering if anyone out there has the round body A2 and has measured the id of the tube?

or if they have been sucessful in running any of the protected li-on cells in the new style?

any info would be appreciated.

i also ordered a small stockpile of surefire 123a's with my light so i am good on power for now.

i would just like a rechargable option if available for flexability.

cheers- Rackness

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
A2-YG: 0.658" ID
A2-RD: 0.658" ID

Both lights have the rounded body.

Scott

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which do I prefer?

For body style, I prefer the rounded by a wide margin. I don't like abrupt corners against bare skin, especially something that never seems to smooth out like HAIII. Nor do I like what rough edges do to my clothes.

The older square cross section provides a better grip and a different feel which some prefer. For my use the aggressive knurling on the rounded version provides plenty of grip. It is an aesthetic decision, IMHO.

For LED color, I prefer the softer end of the spectrum, the red and yellow-green. I like the red for my bump-in-the-night light because it doesn't blow my dark-adapted vision and has low observability. I have the bright incan there instantly if I need it. I like the yellow-green because it is very comfortable to read by without distracting others.

Scott

PS: Here's a pic. You can tell how much I like rough surfaces. The YG has shrink-wrap; the red's tailcap has a piece of bicycle innertube, which is very "grippy."

surefirea2s9wz.jpg

And here's a pic of the red without any wrap.

a25uc.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited:

rackness

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the measurements guys!!

i swear my round body looks larger than the square one but you can't get more accurate than to measure it.

well that shoots my pila dreams to hell lol.

thank you again guys i really appreciate it.

i will just have to keep my 123a's stockpile and be happy!

cheers - Rackness