Surefire M1 infrared

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I realize not many will have use for one of these but I'm wondering if there is ANYONE out there that has one or has seen one. I have thought about getting one for NV use, but since I don't know a lot about infrared, can anyone tell me....say, if you are in total darkness, is there any visible light emitted (without the use of night vision equipment)...? Is there any light coming out that you can see with the naked eye?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Socom,

Yes, there is a faint glow of red visible when you turn it on.

I got mine for use with my Night Vision capable camera. I am under whelmed with its output. I believe my Night Vision camera is about a Generation 0.8 :) maybe even a Generation I.

I have heard it works very well with Generation 2 devices though.

You may find this thread informative.

Tom

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response., I have the sony dsc-v1 with night vision capability. Never seen nv before other than that but have always found it fascinating. I'm going to have to have the m1 now....:- )

Last edited:

Mark2

Enlightened
The Surefire M1 is by far the dimmest of the tactical IR illuminators, I strongly suggest to go with the Inova X5TM-IR or the PentagonLight S2-IR, the latter being the brightest of the three.

The M1 has one strengh: runtime. If you want hours and hours on just one cells, then the M1 is great.

I have a comparison of the 3 lights mentioned (and a Sony IR illuminator for video cameras) in my S2-IR review.

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
I have the infrared light that came with the ITT Gen 3 NV monocular that's spot/flood adjustable and throws to 1,000 yards. I don't see any light emission with the naked eye but if I look directly into the tube there is a glow of a red dot.

Andy

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I've talked to surefire and decided the m1 is not for me. I don't need anything for night vision anyway, just wanted something with good run time for low light conditions. Might get an a2 for that some time. Not sure about the pentagon light or the others...will just have to have a look. Thanks everyone for the response and advice though. :- )

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
JackBlades said:
I was under the impression that the M1 was intended for an operator to signal BACK to someone using NV to locate him.........

IR is necessary for total darkness NV. If there aren't any photons to magnify, NV is useless.

IR could be used to signal helicopters for rescue by law enforcement but for the general public it's not a selling point. FLIR thermal imagers do a better job on the rescuer side of things.

If you have a NV video camera, an IR light will vastly improve your scene.

Andy