Some needed Surefire advice,...

SchismTSK

Newly Enlightened
Greetings Flashohalics,

I have a two parter here.

1.) Between a Surefire L1 (on high) or KL3 on a E1e (TW3), which has the most throw?

2.) Where could I score on a Vital Gear FB1 online?

I've done a search on this site, but couldn't get a specific answer for the initial question. I'm looking to get a new EDC LED flashlight; something compact with crazy throw. I'm a super newbie, so any alternative suggestions are strongly welcome. Thanks.

SchismTSK

Newly Enlightened
Re: Some needed Surefire advice,...(correction)

Correction: I've meant KL4 in reference to a TW4.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

The current style of L1 or KL1 has noticeably more throw than the KL4 in any configuration.

FredM

Enlightened

I have a TW4 and a E1L and the E1L has way more throw.

Pick up an E1L.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

The new style L1 is a two stage version of the E1L, both out-throw the KL4 since the KL4 is a flood light that will "light up the room" while the E1L & L1 will "light up the spot your pointing at". :)

I just got a E1L and am impressed with the output from the new optic used. The tight beam has a lot of punch. My wife is convinced the E1L is brighter than the KL4, until I put them on the meter. The L1 (on high) should be the same as the E1L.

Here's some info on the L1: http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/Surefire L1 LuxIII.htm

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

the KL1 head is going to have quite a bit more throw than a KL4 head...

currently i'm running a KL1 head on a 2x123 or 1x123 body (depending on mission/day)... i love the setup so much.... I keep my defusion head on all the time and makes the light so much more useful... The KL4 head is going to give you more of a flood than the KL1 head... but not by much when the KL1 head and a diffusion head... i can still use my kl1 w/ diffusion to walk easy at night in the dark.... the light is more even than any reflector is going to be... the diffusion head makes a nice soft flood.... very easy on the eyes... however you just pop the diffusion head off the light and you got GREAT throw! able to shine it on a building/trees in the distance..

another aspect of the KL1 head that i like a lot is the fact I can use li-ion 2xrcr123's.... the head can handle up to 9v... so regardless of which body i use 1cell or 2cell i get awesome cheap light... i have been doing tests and it seems that i get a little over 1 hour w/ 1 rechargeable protected cell... i get a little over 2 hours w/ 2 protected cells... and i'll get close to 4 hours if i use 2 regular 123's... thats awesome to me...

the KL4 head wasn't designed for voltage over 6v... and i don't like the donut hole that some of the heads come with... i have an L2 and it does everything the KL4 head can do and do some things better... i find the equal when it comes to carry...

i personally can't say enough about the KL1 w/ or w/o the diffusion head (depending on throw/flood need).... the ONLY edc that would be better in my mind is the HDS lights...