How much brighter is the L2 than the A2....?

ActiveMatx

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased my first Surefire. Its an A2 aviator with white LED's.

I was debating between this and the L2, and my wife just bought me an A2.

I like it a lot, however, I was leaning towards the L2 because it has double the brightness of the A2. A2 has 50 lumens, and the L2 has 100. I am new to flashlights, so I think there may be some differences which I am not aware about.

Is the L2 really twice as bright as the A2? Why do some much people prefer the A2 over the L2, if the L2 is twice as bright, and doesnt need to replace bulbs?

Basically, I just would like a comparison on the maximum brightness from both lights. Thanks, and I've been a long time lurker on these forums, and just decided to register. See you guys around!

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's quite a few threads on this particular topic posted throughout CPF. As "a long time lurker" you'll notice the thread by JDOG1 on A2 or L2? among others.

Good purchase on the SureFire A2! Either and/or you will not be disappointed!

By the way—Welcome to CPF! Hope you find what you are looking for and Enjoy!

ActiveMatx

Newly Enlightened
Hi CHC,

Yeah, I read through all of the topics already that have A2 in the title. I even read that topic started by jdog.

However, it did not get into how much brighter the L2 was compared to the A2. It states different tasks that both lights are good for, but no one answers the question on whether the L2 is really twice as bright as the A2. I understand the A2 has more throw, and the L2 has a wider angle of light distrubution. On other forums, some people say that the L2 100 lumens is just a tad brighter than the L4, which only gives out 60 lumens.

So, im just curious on how much brighter the L2 is compared to the A2, because some say that the L4 is just as bright as the L2. Thanks!

cslinger

Enlightened
The L2 is most definitely brighter then the A2 on high but is very diffuse. Doing a ceiling bounce with the L2 is like turning on a flourescent light in the room, that is the best description I can give.

The L2 is however all about flood, a wall of light so to speak. The A2 on high throws much better and sometimes that incan. light is just better for picking out details or colors.

I am an A2 fan. I have three and I have 1 L2. Both are great lights but I rarely use the L2 as it is too bright on both levels and just a bit too big for everyday use. The L2 would probably shine as a trail light. My A2s I use very frequently.

One thing to consider about me though is that I am one of those weird less light more runtime kind of guys. I love the output of the A2 on low combined with a pretty phenominal runtime there.

To answer your question I don't think the L2 is literally 2X the brightness of the A2 on high but is quite noticeably brighter.

Chris

Last edited:

ActiveMatx

Newly Enlightened
Hi there cslinger! Excellent write up! You did a excellent job. Answered my question, 100%.

I guess, i'm satisfied with my A2. Flood can be nice sometimes though, so I guess i'll just get both. :)

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Active,

Surefire rates their incandescent lights VERY conservatively.

Recently McGizmo put an A2 in his integrated sphere (the only right way to check for light output) and got 79 lumens!

Bill

CLHC

Flashaholic
ActiveMatx seems like you got an in depth answer to your question by fellow CPFers?

By the way, my friend has the SureFire A2 w/white LEDs that he bought 2 years ago at the Swap Meet at the Aloha Stadium [side point:he haggled for $140.00 NIB]. He's got the original SF123s that's still driving the LEDs and he uses his every night since he bought it—albeit intermittently. The batteries aren't able to run the incandescent lamp at this time. Shows you how effective this instrument is, especially if one is into LONG runtime. . .

Last edited:

ActiveMatx

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Thats a long running flashlight. Thanks, CHC.

I live right by Aloha Stadium.

CLHC

Flashaholic
ActiveMatx said:
I live right by Aloha Stadium.

Whoa! No Way Brah! My aunt lives right across there. Last place of my residency was in Salt Lake some 20 years ago! Graduate of FHS Govs. . .

Enjoy!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 vs. the A2. Yes indeed, now there's a question.

First of all, as mentioned, the A2 is putting out 75+ lumens out the front, and it does NOT DIM until the batteries are too used up to support the incan. So it's either in regulation, giving the full 79 lumens, or it is way out of regulation, giving about 30 lumens, or it simply won't come on at all.

The L2, I suspect, really is giving 100 lumens at the very start of the run on fresh batteries. That sucker is bright in the first minute or two. But it is falling down rather steeply, until it is on a par with the A2. It is not regulated on high, in the sense of having a totally constant power ouput over its runtime. It is, however, regulated on low.

The L4 is putting out MORE than 65 lumens--probably nearly 80 or 90 lumens. SureFire under-rated that one. Not sure why they pull all these weird distortions with their ratings, but I guess you can't argue as long as they don't over-rate.

Then there is the usual throw vs, flood thing. The A2 incan throws, the L2 does not. The L2 on low is too bright for my uses, but the A2 on low is just perfect. The A2 has two different types of beams. The L2 is the same beam but just at two different levels. The A2 is just the right size. The L2 is just a bit too long for comfortable pocket carry, although it is still very pocketable--just not AS pocketable as the A2. Both are awesome, awesome lights. The two level switch is a masterpiece of design. They both feel good in the hand. They are both of the highest quality. And both have are great for clipping to a belt, as opposed to the E2e which just doesn't seem to like to stay in place on a belt.

It just comes down to your beam preferences and intended uses. If you hate incans, get the L2. If you want throw, get the A2. If you hate the bluishy artifacts from a 5mm nichia, get the L2. If you want the smallest and brightest and want a clickie switch option, get the E2e or L4. And there is the L1, of course, which I know nothing about.

But you already have the A2, so enjoy. It is one of my favorite lights and my EDC and has been for a year already and will most likely remain so for a long time to come.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aloha ActiveMatx!

You have a really cool wife!

Oh-yeah, I have an L2 and it is my most practical light. Great all around utility on low beam. And the high beam is "dakine."

kelmo

CLHC

Flashaholic
The L2 vs. the A2. Yes indeed, now there's a question.

. . .as mentioned, the A2. . .does NOT DIM until the batteries are too used up to support the incan. So it's either in regulation. . .or it is way out of regulation. . .or it simply won't come on at all.

The L2, I suspect, really is giving 100 lumens at the very start of the run on fresh batteries. That sucker is bright in the first minute or two. But it is falling down rather steeply, until it is on a par with the A2. It is not regulated on high, in the sense of having a totally constant power ouput over its runtime. It is, however, regulated on low.

Then there is the usual throw vs, flood thing. The A2 incan throws, the L2 does not. The L2 on low is too bright for my uses, but the A2 on low is just perfect. The A2 has two different types of beams. The L2 is the same beam but just at two different levels. The A2 is just the right size. The L2 is just a bit too long for comfortable pocket carry, although it is still very pocketable--just not AS pocketable as the A2. Both are awesome, awesome lights. The two level switch is a masterpiece of design. They both feel good in the hand. They are both of the highest quality. And both have are great for clipping to a belt. . .

Now I have a different perspective of the Aviator and overall on both. I've read many many positives about the A2 and how owners really like theirs. Now the purchase of one or two of these is justified. Today then. . .

Thanks for the info on the Aviator JS!