Best EDC for about 300 bucks?

lentuk

Newly Enlightened
New guy here, dont ask me how my e-mail got to be me forum name, I don't know.
But anyway, I have been reading here for some time and have realy been enjoying all the info. I have already collected an Inova XO, ARC AAA and a Fenix L1P.
I was wondering if you could give me some examples of a higher end EDC for around $300.00. I have looked at the HDS models, Is there anything else?
Thanks.

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
Surefire Aviator A2.

Get white LED's i know the other colors seem cool, but white is a lot more useful. I got red and am looking for a white LED Ring. If anyone knows where I can get one I will be your best friend.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Have you tried looking at the Custom Builds forum yet? There's McGizmo's McLux III PD among others and the Aleph series! The McLux III PD is a REALLY well built "high-end" light in my opionion. I have no regrets about it's performance. The beam is flawless! It's one of my EDC with others. . .

By the way—Welcome to CPF and hope you find what you're searching for and Enjoy!

kukula

Enlightened
$300 bucks is alot of money. This will open up many choices for you. How do you plan to carry your light? And how do you plan to use it? If humbly suggest the McLuxIII PD. It is small enough to be carried daily, has a nice useful clip that I love, and is simple to use with its two settings. If you plan to impress your friends then this isnt the light, its no throw monster. But what it gives you is a bright, beautiful beam that lasts a long time both on high and more so on low. Just my .02 cents.

Oh and btw welcome to CPF!

Chris

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my HDS EDC U85. Small, bright, has a manufacturers warranty. Just the right size for me. Too bad they aren't available right now. For a bigger light, the Surefire U2 very nice. The Indium Smart looks really cool, you can connect it to the USB port of your PC and configure it the way you want. And as others have stated, you can go for custom lights and get exactly what you want.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS

'Nuff said!!!

The HDS U60XRGT is all you need.

Take it from a guy who wasted over $1000.00 bucks looking for "the" EDC.

Trust me, people who will say get something else don't own a HDS EDC.

This is my light, all my SF's havent been carried since my HDS showed up.

-PSM

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd go with the HDS U60XRGT.. i dont have one (cost too much) but would love to!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Ppproducts and Battery station are now offering lower prices to CPF members. Check the CPF Specials thread for the links.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think you can choose a light this expensive on technical features alone. This is connoisseur level and your personal preferences weigh heavily into it. It's like choosing an artwork to display in your house. What do YOU like?

Some excellent lights have been mentioned. My own choice among them would probably be a McLux III PD in chrome, a very simple and beautiful design. The Spy 005 looks like a very cool light though. The HDS outperforms pretty much everything, but I don't think this is entirely a performance decision. You don't choose between a Rolls Royce and a Porsche based purely on 0-60 time.

nc987

Enlightened
Id go for the Surefire U2, M3, or M3T or a M6 which can be found occasionally be found for near 300 bucks.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Green LED wrote: "Ppproducts and Battery station are now offering lower prices to CPF members. Check the CPF Specials thread for the links."

Well, I have the Battery Station specials thread bookmarked, and it doesn't have anything about lower HDS prices. And the link there "Got some in stock" takes me to the page with the same prices I remember seeing for a while.

Edit: I just went through your links and it shows the same thing. BTW, thanks for your CPF Specials and other links!

Last edited:

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan said:
HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS HDS

'Nuff said!!!

The HDS U60XRGT is all you need.

Take it from a guy who wasted over $1000.00 bucks looking for "the" EDC.

Trust me, people who will say get something else don't own a HDS EDC.

This is my light, all my SF's havent been carried since my HDS showed up.

-PSM

Only $1000? I can't even begin to count how much I've spent not to mention the time.(over 2 years)

HDS EDC hands down. I sold off all my other lights after I got my U60GT. I've found my perfect EDC and lost interest in everything else. I think I've been cured but I've yet to determine if this is good or bad. :shrug:

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound has regular prices that beats or nearly matches the other guys' "special prices." Also, their service is excellent. I just bought a U60XRGT for $269. Jims Flashlights has the same light for a "special" $260. I just wish John would carry a larger variety of products and update more often. I highly recommend Lighthound. And no, I do not get a commission for saying this...

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have and have evaluated a fair number of lights and I prefer the Mclux PD; two light levels, innovative design, very rugged, great beam tint and pattern............the throw and spill is perfect for me. See McGizmo thread for many more details.

jeffb

colterbay2005

Newly Enlightened
I recommend the McLuxIIIPD....simple and tough. The McLuxIIIPD also has the best pocket clip of any light in the world, if you plan to carry a light everday like I do a good pocket clip is essential!

I do have to say that I like the suggestion given by Bob-G.

Daniel.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Welcome to the Forum.

For $300 I would think the choices would be down to the 1) McLux PD; 2) HDS; 3) Lion Cub and 4) Surefire A2. For about $350 you could get two of the 4 options. If you were to do that I would recommend the A2 and one of the others simply because the A2 is both LED and incandescent and the others are LEDs. Well, actually I did do that (Lion Cub and A2) ;)

Last edited:

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have mentioned, a lot of this depends on what you want from a light.

If I were to pick an EDC right now, I think the only things in the running would be the HDS U85 and the SF U2. Both multi step, variable output lights that go from dim to quite bright.

Between the two, I'd prefer the U85 for it's flexible battery configurations, flexible output levels and mega runtime on "low".

As indicated, the gotcha is the U85 is out of stock until Feb. There is the HDS U60 and B60 which are only a bit less bright than the U85. Personally, I'm really glad I managed to score a U85 before they sold out and as others have indicated, it really has taken a bite out of my flashlight drive.

I'm eagerly awaiting the 2x123A battery packs for this light that are due later this month. If I got a light I'd consider these accessories: The HDS lens kit, the 2x123A battery pack (4x runtime!) when it comes out, and the SF F04 beamshaper.

The SF U2 on the other hand is very cool too. It has the nifty simple user interface. The main downside is it's size which may simply rule it out for some folks. Since I carried a SF M2 for quite a while, I could see doing it myself, but I know others would simply say it's too much.

-john